Drop-in classes for DD

Primaballerina1

Hi all, DD isn't signed up for any summer schools this year and she wanted to do some drop in classes/master classes instead. Though I can't find any that will suit her and are easyish to get to. She is on waiting list for Central's Day of dance but except for that has nothing else planned. She is Grade 4/5 ballet ISTD and Surrey/London area would be preferable.

Does anyone know of any classes we could apply for??

Hi PB1.  Sorry I can't help with any recommendations, but I've just edited your title slightly because when I read the original I thought "Why on earth is her DD having to do fewer classes? That's a bit tough."  I hope the hyphen clarifies things :)

• Like 1

Hi PB1,

I have a couple of day places left at Summer school.  We have Anna Rose O Sullivan ( Royal Ballet ) teaching on Friday 29th and Carrie Johnson ( Birmingham Royal Ballet/Matthew Bourne ) on Wednesday 27th. 

Please let me know you are interested. 5 and a half hours of dance on each day. 

Linda

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Anna C, we weren't sure on the level of ballet class DD should take, would you think Elementary would be okay?

Unless it's a children's class, "Elementary" at Danceworks, e.g. Anna du Boisson's class would be too advanced. Danceworks uses "Elementary" in the context of the old RAD name for RAD Intermediate. My daughter and her friend (who was then at YDA) went to this class at 14 or 15, having taken RAD Intermediate. The class is designed for 16+ but Anna allows some teenagers to attend and in the holidays it was often packed with YDA students and very busy.

Did you look at the children's classes at Danceworks?

The children's programme at Danceworks looks lovely. They have some of the best teachers in London teaching the children, lucky things! I was taking class there earlier this week, and there was a demonstration session for their International Summer School - from what I could see, there were lovely dancers of all ages from the tinies to the late teens & a very supportive atmosphere.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback, I'm guessing the level of classes is similar for Pineapple?

We haven't done Danceworks so can't comment there but all the 'elementary' at Pineapple has been fine for 11/12yo working at grades 4+ or intermediate foundation / intermediate.

We were there one time when a 9yo was in there and his mum said he had only gone into RAD grade 3 and not in the vocational grades yet. She asked the tutor (Adam Pudney) if he could join in and he was allowed and they even lowered a barre especially! I know several girls that do those classes on Saturdays in between the tumbling classes that are on that are only working at grade 3/4 and IF

But the best thing really is to go and watch a class beforehand if you can and ask the tutor. Even if they don't do the ballet there are some other child friendly classes on ie; Lil J's commercial street class is popular :)

• Like 2

We haven't done Danceworks so can't comment there but all the 'elementary' at Pineapple has been fine for 11/12yo working at grades 4+ or intermediate foundation / intermediate.

We were there one time when a 9yo was in there and his mum said he had only gone into RAD grade 3 and not in the vocational grades yet. She asked the tutor (Adam Pudney) if he could join in and he was allowed and they even lowered a barre especially! I know several girls that do those classes on Saturdays in between the tumbling classes that are on that are only working at grade 3/4 and IF

But the best thing really is to go and watch a class beforehand if you can and ask the tutor. Even if they don't do the ballet there are some other child friendly classes on ie; Lil J's commercial street class is popular :)

Thank a lot for the information, it's been really helpful and probably saved a bit of the workers at pineapple a bit of time! We have decided to probably try out Maggie Paterson's Elementary ballet class soon and see how that is for DD