Please cross your fingers for my student!

Dance*is*life

She is supposed to be going to summer school in New York at the weekend and has been looking forward to it ever since she was accepted - even got contact lenses in honour of it.  She has improved so much and she works like mad, never missing a class.  Yesterday was our senior show and during a stage lighting rehearsal she fell badly out of a grand jete and injured her foot.  We iced it and gave her pain killers, but I took her out of the pointe dance of course. However, she insisted on doing all her other dances, with her foot strapped up and in great pain.  Today she rested and the swelling has gone down - tomorrow she's doing an x-ray.  I just so hope that it will prove to be just a sprain and not a fracture - I can't believe she could have stood on the foot with a fracture however small, but still summer school is so intensive that even a sprain could ruin it for her.  Ooof - it's such bad timing and she really does not deserve this set back, poor girl.

• Like 1

Your poor student - I do hope that she recovers in time. But no matter what, she has been motivated to make huge improvements to her dancing, and nothing can take that away from her.

Thanks everyone!  She is having an X-ray today and I am so nervous for her.  I will let you know the outcome.  She only got a partial scholarship, but her parents decided that this was an opportunity she shouldn't miss and have really spent a lot of money so that she could go.  Oh what's the saying - the best laid plans of mice and men are oft gang astray?????

• Like 2

Well, unfortunately, the x-ray confirmed a very small broken bone on the side of the foot.  The orthopedic doctor gave her permission to go, but to be careful.  Her parents have decided to send her, because the swelling has gone down and she is able to walk without pain. They have strapped up her foot, but the ortho didn't put the foot in plaster or insist she walk with crutches, so presumably it's not a weight bearing bone.  Hopefully, she will be able to do part of the course - she is there for two weeks. The teacher in charge of the group of students travelling together knows about her and will watch that she doesn't overdo it.   They will also check her again with their own doctor on site.  Her parents think that even if she just does part of the classes she will gain a lot from attending the course and watching classes and listening to corrections etc etc.  Let's hope so.........

• Like 2

Really it is and she is the last person to deserve this!  She almost never misses class, is super focused and dedicated and has improved so much this year -  getting Distinction for her Intermediate exam and has even changed to contact lenses .  She is an exceptional student and so reliable.  She was really at her peak and now this.  OOOOFFFFFF!

• Like 1

Well, she seems to have a very good attitude about it and hopefully will get something from the course, even if she can't take part in everything. At least she's able to go, which is always something.

• Like 2

Well they're in the middle of their first day there in New York, so hopefully it was okay.  Apparently the nurse checked her out and gave her the go ahead to start, so I wait to hear how it went.  I saw a photo of her and my other student who's also gone, (they're best ballet friends) sitting on the plane with big smiles on their faces, so I think it was the right decision to let her go!  Anyway, there's always next year!

• Like 5

They have sent me a couple of photos and videos and seem very excited.  She isn't really dancing much - mainly watching, but I think that's sensible, although I can imagine that she must feel so frustrated - today they had their first ever pas de deux lesson!   I told her that you can learn a great deal from watching and that she should write down corrections and exercises for future reference. 

• Like 4

I just had a thought about what a wonderful world we live in today!  When I first left home to dance in a ballet company in Germany in 1967, I had to go to the post-office and book a 3 minute call in a booth to speak to my parents in England - now my students travel to New York and send me photos and videos and messages instantly on WhatsApp!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 10