Dance on television this Christmas

Just a recap of some of the televisual dance this Christmas:

Christmas Day, BBC2, 12.10 pm: repeat of the Royal Ballet in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", first shown at Easter.

If that wasn't enough, in the same evening More4 goes dance mad, with "Matthew Bourne's Christmas" at 9 pm (repeated at 2.50 am); "Akram Khan: Homeland" (aka DESH) at 10 pm, and "Balletboyz: New Generation" at 11 pm.

If you really want to overdose, and have Sky Arts 2, then there's quite a feast: "The Nutcracker" (think this is the later, Yoshida/McRae version?) at 8 am; Preljocaj's "Snow White" at 4.25 pm; Royal Ballet "Swan Lake" at 8 pm; Nureyev's "Cinderella" at 10.10 pm, and possibly more. Check your listings for further details.

Just a shame it has to be all on the same day, though ...

Anyone with access to German TV can see the Bolshoi in Sleeping Beauty today (Sat 24th) and 1915 UK time on the ARTE channel.

Is that the recent Beauty with Zakharova/Hallberg, or an older version? It would be great to have ARTE over here.

I haven't spotted anything about Cinderella (which I think has already been repeated twice) - but perhaps it's in the New Year's listings, which I haven't looked at yet.

Yes Alison it was Zakharova/Hallberg I guess it was the one shown in cinemas the other week - glad I didn't blow £15 for the cinema as I got it for free last night at home!! Agree ARTE is a good channel. I was surprised that a ballerina of Zakharova's calibre failed to raise her arm in the Rose Adagio and instead just took the next Prince's hand. I was really looking forward to seeing her do the Rose Adagaio only to find it was damp squibb - so hats off to our dancers in the UK and for doing it (IMHO) correctly. The Bolshoi's choreograhy is "cheating" :o The costumes were TDF though.

I think Cinders in on in New Year.

Monday 2nd Jan SkyArts 2 is showing John Neumier's Little Mermaid at 8pm until 10.10pm I think this is a first showing on tv and the ballet has not long been released on dvd so this is quite a coup for SkyArts. It is repeated on Tuesday at 2pm and again at 7pm. Joan

Monday 2nd Jan SkyArts 2 is showing John Neumier's Little Mermaid at 8pm until 10.10pm I think this is a first showing on tv and the ballet has not long been released on dvd so this is quite a coup for SkyArts.

Quite a coup indeed. They seem to have been getting quite a few of those recently - at the expense of terrestrial viewers, I wonder? Certainly I've spotted some Royal Ballet recordings which haven't made it onto the BBC yet.