Newborn kittens. What do I do???

Lisa O`Brien

I came down stairs this morning and the black kitten was dead. She wasn't stiff and cold so mustn't have been dead for long. The previous day Biscuit had been sitting on her, and she was crying for her mother to get off her but she didn't and I had to remove her. Her face was all squashed in on the side nearest the sofa, like pressure had been put on her. Sean buried her in the front garden. I nearly took her up to bed with me last night as well. to make sure Biscuit wasn't going to lie on her again. But a few days ago when I did this and she slept with me all night she came downstairs and was incredibly thirsty,so I thought better of keeping her upstairs where she wouldn't have had access to water. In hindsight I suppose I could have taken some water in to the bedroom for her. I just never thought. What a sad thing to wake up to. Biscuit and the mad ginger kitten, who are inseperable, are playing together as usual. I showed Biscuit ,the ginger kitten and even Blackie the kitten so they could see that she was dead. I have no idea if they understood or not. Biscuit keeps looking round and calling out; but she constantly makes this calling out,reassurance noise to her kittens anyway. So I don't know if she is calling for the dead one or not. 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Don't know how many of you know me on Facebook, but if you do I posted a photo of her on there today.You can see,I think, how beautiful she was. [but at the moment I actually can't look at it.]

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

I kept getting up in the night to check on the ginger kitten. I couldn't sleep anyway. Both cats were sleeping a long way from each other ,which reassured me somewhat. Spent the whole of yesterday crying, as did Sean. Anyway it got to around three in the morning [this morning] and I had to get out of the house. I got dressed and quietly let myself out. I didn't want to waken Sean or else he would have been worried about me and would probably have insisted he come with me. There was a nice moon and lots of stars, and I stayed on the main road. The odd car passed. I kept my head down, conscious of the fact the people would almost certainly have been looking at me. I would walk for five minutes ,up to our local taxi office, then cross the road and walk back up towards my house in the opposite direction, then cross the road,and walk back up to the taxi place. I kept crossing the road and over and over, doubling up on myself. I thought it felt like one car in particular kept driving past. [Good job I wasn't wearing a mini skirt or my reason for being out might have been misconstrued]. Anyway, just near the taxi office, which was closed along with everything else there was a bench. I sat down and started to cry. A large car pulled up. It was an unmarked police car, with two police officers inside. The driver asked me if I was alright. I told him I was just a bit emotional and told him the reason why and that I only lived around the corner but that I just needed to get out of the house. He said he can understand my being upset and as long as there was nothing else wrong, which I said there wasn't and thanked him for his concern. Sat there a few minutes more, but then I thought I had better start making my way back home. I didn't want the police car coming back round to check on me and find me still sitting there. If I had left they would know I was OK, I think. Finally got to sleep at I don't know what time. Both cats [blackie as well] are all well. Biscuit and her ginger kitten seem as close as ever, playing with each other and grooming one another a lot. At the moment they are both cuddled up together on the living room floor. I went back to bed this  afternoon for a sleep as I was wrecked. When I came downstairs Sean was feeding the kitten Whiskas kitten food . And she was eating it. She had eaten a few small pieces of cheese and fish but had never up until this point shown an interest in proper cat food. So very cleverly I thought, knowing she likes cheese already, he placed some kitten food pieces on a plastic spoon and put some crumbs of cheese on top of the food.  At first she just ate the cheese and left the kitten food, other than licking off the jelly. Sean added a few more pieces of cheese on top of the Whiskas. This time she ate the cheese and instead of licking the cat food ,like she would milk, she put a piece in her mouth. Then another, then another. In the end she ate three full spoons of proper kitten food. Licked herself clean afterwards then went back to mummy for some of mummy's milk. A big milestone in her life !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Me and Sean are much better now. Still feel a sadness, especially when I stand at the front door and see where the black one is buried. The day after she died I was relaxing in the bath in the evening. Put some nice bubble bath in and thought it would do me a bit of good. How wrong could I be. I had only been in the bath about two minutes when I took a major panic attack. I couldn't breathe properly. Or at least I felt like I couldn't breathe. I tried to remain as calm as possible and as quickly as I could got myself clean and got out of the bath. It was the quickest bath I have ever had in my life. Stood on the landing with the towel around me. I felt as if the whole house was coming in on me. I got dried in double quick time and put on my nightie. But I had to get out. I stood at the front door and then went to the gate. I really couldn't breathe very well at all, and it was horrible. Then I burst into tears thinking about the kitten, so I was trying to control my breathing in between sobbing my eyes out. It was around ten thirty and luckily no one was around to see. Sean was standing in the garden with me . The poor lad. He must really worry about me at times. I'm now starting to see one of the reasons why he doesn't want to leave home . Then gradually it went away and thankfully has not returned. A horrible experience. Anyway I asked Sean to pick a name for the ginger kitten. He has chosen Pumpkin, which I think is lovely. She really is a cute thing,and she is learning to not be so bitey and scratchey. Her and her mother are very close. They play hide and seek all day long, jumping out from behind the chair at one another, then giving a mad chase. Pumpkin in the last few days has discovered Upstairs. It must be like a whole new world to her. She and Biscuit have a great time of it, darting in and out of the rooms up there. Sean said the two of them were running around upstairs half the night. I didn't hear a thing. Blackie our 15 year old seems to be getting used to the kitten. She has certainly always been fine with her mother since we took her in. Perhaps once Pumpkin starts getting older and calms down Blackie will be more comfortable with her. I just think it's all the mad,running around energy that she doesn't like. At this stage in her life she just wants a quiet life I think. She hasn't run around like a mad thing for years.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 2