medical certificate for summer school

pastel

Hello,

my daughter is applying for a summer school in France and they require a medical certificate. Has anyone done this before? Do I just make an appointment with the GP and ask for that? Is there a charge? Thanks in advance.

Hi Pastel, yes, you will need to contact your GP, really depends on each individual practice as to how much they will charge you. The only time we've needed one we were lucky to have a lovely locum GP who signed it at a regular appointment and didn't charge us but this was not standard procedure for our surgery.

• Like 2

Have they supplied you with a form or list of requirements? The fee will depend on whether they want a full medical or just a note etc but will not be covered by the nhs. You would need to let your gp know in advance what the appointment is for as they shouldn't do it during an nhs consultation time. If it's very straight forward they may not even need to see her

• Like 2

Thank you both so much for that information. I will have to contact the school in France. It just has a box to tick that says "Medical Certificate". No other information on what to provide. Thanks again.

When we needed one for summer school (Princess Grace) school nurse just wrote a short letter stating dd was healthy and not carrying any injuries. Can you contact surgery and explain what you need, GP could then write a letter for you to collect without needing an appointment?

When dd needed a medical for starting vocational school we were told it would be £90 by receptionist. When we got there GP didn't charge as he had only seen dd once only in the 6 years we had been registered.

• Like 2

we have commonly had to get a medical certificate specifying lack of injury etc. GP charges flat 80 quid... it depends on what the GP is expected to be signing for as to whether they feel an appointment is required and thus charge more...

Wow, I don't know anyone who charges that much around here! For a fit note it's usually £20-30 and £90 + for a full medical (where they would do lung function tests, full examination, pulse, possibly ecg etc). I wouldn't imagine that would be needed for a summer school

I'm grateful for the information and I shall phone the Medical centre tomorrow and ask how much it is rather than make an appointment only to find I'm locked into a large fee. The entire summer school is 300 euro, I can't believe how expensive it might be to get the medical certificate.

Have found this to be very ad hoc....& seemed to depend on whether the rather officious Business Manager got wind of it! Doctor had said he'd write a letter & to collect it....I was gob smacked when said lady presented me with a £60 invoice to be paid before I could have the letter :angry:! On another occasion when one was required, I mentioned it to the Doctor during a non related personal visit. The very kind Doctor there & then looked over DD's notes & read over the form from the SS then asked me the gist of what was required & penned (in typical illegible medical profession handwriting :))​ a short note stating DD healthy etc for the training. I really struggle to see how they could justify the £60 before! Apparently because the doctors note had to then go to a separately paid for typist!! Sounds rather dark ages to me.....call yourself a business manager???!!!!

• Like 2

I did check at time on the BMA website and there are advisory standard rates but basically it seems they can charge what they think patients will pay! Seems wrong when relating to under 18's in full time education to charge when they have been seen as nhs patients IMHO

• Like 1

Taking a completely different slant on this Pastel, I would check with the school in France exactly what they mean by medical certificate.  The health care system is so different in France it is possible that by 'medical certificate' they are meaning more along the lines that you have your DD covered medically ie 'health insurance policy to cover for injury whilst attending' rather than a doctors note saying she is normally fit and healthy and there is no reason for her to not to take the course.

Hi there,

I live in France and often have to supply medical certificates for summer schools and ballet school every year.

Normally it is a short letter by the GP that says they have examined your dc that day , they are of good health and show no contra-indications to practising dance at a high level, then date and signature.

If you want me to scan a copy of my dds letter , no problem.

They also ask you to sign a disclaimer if there is a medical emergency, and I would include your own proof of insurance/equivalence