Drop-in ballet classes at The Place, London

Kate_N

I'll be in London at various times over the next few weeks. I usually take class at Danceworks with Hannah Frost and Christina Mittelmaier, but times etc mean that there's a Level 2 class at The Place tat fits my schedule. I've never done class there, so it'd be nice to see their studios.

It's primarily a contemporary dance studio, so any experiences of their ballet classes? 

(I may just decide to do a contemporary class, but I can get various quite advanced contemporary classes where I live, whereas the ballet is fairly basic). 

Hey Kate,

Just had a browse on the Place's website, are you looking at their summer term classes (link here)?

Looks like their summer term for adults finish this Friday 8th July. Were you intending to attend those?

I haven't taken their term classes there so don't know if they have something between now and their autumn term. Maybe worth checking if the classes will actually run!

S

The studios are all reasonably large....some very large and are great to dance in.

Unfortunately cannot help with exactly what the ballet classes are like as am usually there for various workshops rather than regular ballet classes but if it says ballet it will be ballet and not contemporary. I know there's at least one teacher there who is highly thought of but will have to go to website to check name and don't know how things work once the official term has ended.....some teachers still offer classes some weeks etc.

There are also summer dance courses in August http://www.theplace.org.uk/summer-dance-courses-2016, with a different guest company for each of the three weeks. I took part in some of the classes last year (at a far lower level than you will be though), and the classes that were described as ballet were ballet. There was an option last year to buy a class for the full week or on a drop-in basis. Looking at the programme for this year, I can't see the drop-in option at first sight however this may well be me not spotting the information available, so I'd suggest calling them to clarify.

I agree with LinMM on the studios, they were sizeable and bright, and the classes came with a live pianist.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - your insights and experiences are really helpful!

I drop in at different studios when I travel, and have done so for about the last ten years, but I still get nervous the first time in a new studio, so your advice really helps!

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like about the Place are the changing rooms.

They are quite roomy so no probs there but you have to key in a number to open the door and I'm damned if it ever works when I do it!!

So I have to either bang on the door hoping someone is already in there or go up and get reception (embarrassing)

Why does it stick so much!!!!

Also, the last time I was there, the (gents') showers were freezing even if you knew the magic number:-) I am coming back for the intensive starting 15th August, though.