Birmingham Royal Ballet Announcements 2016

MEDIA RELEASE: Monday 4 July 2016

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET ANNOUNCEMENTS 2016

At the end of the 2015/2016 season, Birmingham Royal Ballet is able to announce the following:

Samara Downs is promoted from First Soloist to Principal.

Céline Gittens is promoted from First Soloist to Principal.

Delia Mathews is promoted from Soloist to First Soloist.

Yijing Zhang is promoted from First Artist to Soloist.

Feargus Campbell is promoted from First Artist to Soloist.

Brandon Lawrence is promoted from First Artist to Soloist.

Valentin Olovyannikov is promoted from First Artist to Soloist.

Yaoqian Shang is promoted from Artist to Soloist.

Reina Fuchigami is promoted from Artist to First Artist.

Jade Heusen is promoted from Artist to First Artist.

Max Maslen is promoted from Artist to First Artist.

Lachlan Monaghan is promoted from Artist to First Artist.

The following dancers will join the company:

Gabriel Anderson, graduate of the Royal Ballet School, will join as an Artist.

Tim Dutson, graduate of English National Ballet School, will join as an Artist.

Aitor Galende, graduate of the Royal Ballet School, will join as an Artist.

The following dancers leave the company:

Elisha Willis leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after thirteen years with the Company, twelve of those years as a Principal. Elisha is retiring from ballet and is going to pursue a career in costume making. 

Jonathan Caguioa leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after fourteen years with the Company, four of those years as a Soloist. Jonathan is returning to London to undertake a Pilates teaching course.

Steven Monteith left Birmingham Royal Ballet earlier this season after eighteen years with the Company, six of those years as a Soloist. Steven is currently studying for the Professional Dancers’ Teaching Diploma at the Royal Academy of Dance.

Oliver Till leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after nine years with the Company. Oliver was promoted to Soloist earlier this season. He is now moving to the United States to pursue different opportunities. 

Leticia Dias Domingues leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after a year with the Company. Leticia is joining the Royal Ballet as an Artist.

Luke Schaufuss leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after three years with the Company. Luke is joining Scottish Ballet as a Soloist.

Edited by emma-cann

Leticia Dias Domingues leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after a year with the Company. Leticia is joining the Royal Ballet as an Artist.

Hmmm. She isn't mentioned on the RB Joiners press release...

Leticia doesn't surprise me. Lovely dancer.

She won the Prix de Lausanne a couple of years ago.... chose the RBS for further training .....and looked lovely at last year's graduate performances with RBS.

Wishing her every success with the main Company.

I don't really know the BRB that well only when they come down to London but Brandon Lawrence and Delia Matthews (among others not mentioned here) have stood out in particular for me when I've seen them. But am sure all promotions are well deserved!!

Again Yaoquian Shang's fastish promotion is no surprise.....another RBS student who stood out a couple of years ago at school performance.

• Like 2

Thanks emma-cann for posting this. 

Excited to see Gittens promoted to principal, I've been extremely impressed by her when I've seen her live (when I saw her first as a soloist as the Rose Fairy in Nutcracker a couple of years ago I thought by the quality of her dancing she already was a principal!)

Sad to see Willis leave, she's irreplaceable. 

Two Pigeons I have also felt there is something exceptional about Bracewell and hope to see him advance in major roles in future. 

Edited by northstar
  • Like 4