How to improve flexibility?

hoglett

Hope that you can help.  After a 'No' for  Elmhurst Extended Associates, my DD has set herself the target of increasing her flexibility before she applies again.  I am so impressed with the way that she has taken this recent rejection so I want to do everything I can to help her.  Does anybody know of any specific classes that can help her with this in addition to her normal classes?  I've searched on here and read about a flexibility DVD...any good?  She has a flexi stretcher band but isn't really using it as I suspect she needs to know what to do with it really!  We're based in the Midlands.

Many thanks :)

Hoglett there is a stretching dvd by an Australian dance physio called Lisa Howell which is supposed to be great. You can see her on YouTube. She has an excellent safe reputation. She has been discussed on the forum before.

Well done to your dd for her determination - hope she reaps the rewards!

• Like 1

Here's the best free resource on stetching & fexlibility that I know of http://www.bradapp.com/docs/rec/stretching/

There are loads of DVDs and books to be had on the subject - so many that it is overwhelming. I have several and they're all much of a muchness (IMO). Find one you like and stick to it. Of course, deciding on one is tricky. It's a pity FABTV isn't still around as they would show programs in which they played some of the DVDs available; eg xtend barre, sleek technique, Nicky McGinty, etc - google these and you'll find previews or try here https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessTVchannel

It's slow and steady with flexibility training and, like all things, you have to keep working at it.

• Like 1

Are you sure it was her flexibility which was an issue? It might be worth finding out what motivated the "No." (Apologies if you've already discussed that here).  

Because flexibility without strength to use it, in proper alignment and with the sensation of turning out etc etc etc, is only good for tricks. Not ballet. 

Depending on her age, I'd assume a teacher would rather see a well-placed, maintained, and turned out extension at 90 degrees (hip height) with hips , pelvis, ribs and shoulders well-aligned, and a sense of line, than a leg thrown all over the place.

• Like 6

Her teacher will know her well, and is probably the best person to advise on which exercises would be most beneficial. It isn't always stretching that's needed, but exercises to increase strength and improve control. Too much stretching can weaken muscles, and be counter-productive. You might work hard on flexibility to improve turnout for instance, but unless you have also worked on strengthening the turnout muscles, then you can't sustain that increased turnout while dancing.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 3

I've been working on getting higher extensions this year.

I've gone to my teacher who's prescribed me targeted exercises. I do notice an improvement -- when I manage to do the exercises more frequently.

I've tried some exercises off the Easy Flexibility website, and I have found them effective for me. This is what I do:

1. I warm up

2. I do a benchmark test (e,g, gently lower into splits and stop when I feel any stretch, note how far off the floor I am)

3. I follow the exercises and do all the stretches etc.

4. I do the benchmark test again and every time, I get noticeably lower to the floor.

Then the next time I do the exercise, I see I'm back more to the level at step 2 above than 4.

This tells me that I really need to be able to do this more than just once a week... but alas juggling family and work and class is difficult!

I find that more than anything, you need time, motivation, and discipline to be able to do it for the long term, regularly. And also a realistic outlook -- expecting drastic improvement in a short space of time could cause frustration and get you demotivated, so be realistic as to how quickly it could improve. 

Although the stretching program works, my teacher has said that I am less "collapsed" in my ribcage when dancing in class, i.e. more pulled up. Personally I feel my improvement in extension is more due to increase in core strength and improvement in weight placement and alignment, than muscle flexibility.

Hope this helps!

S

• Like 3