Luke Schaufuss

I do so agree Alison. I know BRB have a lot of talent but Luke Schaufuss had one or two extra assets, not least being the Guardian pick for a future dancer. I am really sorry that he wasn't used more although, to be fair, he was given leave to do other things.

I will miss him and I made a special effort to watching him in Shrew by way of a farewell. I hope he does really well at Scottish ballet too. He will always be on my list of the ones who were let slip away.

• Like 1

Perhaps this move explains why he has been so absent from casting lists in the latter half of this season? I enjoyed watching Luke at BRB, particularly in The Nutcracker Russian Dances, but I can understand why it might have been difficult for Bintley to give him significant roles when he tours and guests so much. 

That is a very valid point of view Emma but I think it is a chicken and Egg situation. Did he ask to tour and guest because there was so little on offer at home?

I think another aspect must be the less than inspiring repertoire for next season. I realise that The Tempest is an unknown quantity but the opportunities for up and coming young male dancers to shine in Cinderella and Coppelia remain pretty limited. Added to that we only have one triple bill, again with an unknown quantity in the Ruth Brill work, but not much to offer the guys in Poll or Baiser.

The one saving grace may be the mid scale tours but Luke Schaufuss was always going to have more opportunities to shine elsewhere than many of his colleagues. It was only a matter of time before he took one of them.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 1

I saw Luke Schaufuss recently at a Gala at Karlsruhe, Germany, and I must say it was the most unorthodox Bournonville I can remember (he did the Sylphide pdd with Iana Salenko). I thought it was not very musical, his upper body and arms seemed all over the place. Did he have a bad day or is this how he dances? I would not dare to ask, but having seen his father and knowing what education he must have received this was a strange experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad to see him leave BRB. But I think he is meant for greater things, and I think for one that it's a wonderful opportunity at Scottish. Incredibly interesting company, that really seems to be on the move.
That's a real surprise to hear Angela, I thought he was fabulous when he did La Sylphide in London, star quality material. Looking forward to see what the future brings for him! 

• Like 1