27820364741_2a3e800f03_z.jpg
Hearts & Arrows - Benjamin Millepied:Rachelle Rafailedes, Julia Eichten
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: L.A. Dance Project: Mixed Bill
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 1

Great pics!

I confess to not having purchased a programme, so I didn't really know who was who or what was what.
Harbor me was the highlight as far as I was concerned - taking dance to a level I'd not seen before. The 3 guys blended into a kind of 3-headed Zaphod Beeblebrox and their smooth sinous movements and transitions seemed to defy what I thought was possible! If you like Stephen McRae, you'd love this.

Some bits of "On the Other Side" were fantastic, others got a bit dull (but this was at the end of a long week!). There was one sequence with a girl in a grey dress doing fairly classical ballet in a lovely joyful style, but then three others girls appeared in the corner and seemed to be saying "how dare you?!". Very funny....

Hearts and arrows was very good with very clever choreography, although I felt the later pieces eclipsed it.

Then when the cast did their bit, they came out front to watch their friends performing. Not sure if this is usual, but it was nice to be able to have a very brief chat with them afterwards.

We were only there because my daughter had a French language exchange student over (from Paris) who enjoys dancing (they don't seem to take it quite as seriously over there with grades and things) and she immediately recognised Benjamin Millipied and we* even spotted Natalie Portman and Matthew Bourne in the theatre (* - not me, I'm terrible at recognising people) and that added to the evening. The only downer was that my elder daughter managed to drop her phone and smash the screen, it only having been replaced 3 weeks earlier!!!

I hope that someone more expert than me will be along with a better review. I've not seen anything in the press yet (although I only looked this morning).

• Like 1

One thing leads to another, leads to another....

So here we go.

Since I'm on my way back to the far LA area (the desert side of the mountains), via Natalia Osipova and Sergei Polunin in London next week, and always hopeful for the southern California dance scene, I searched around the internet, not knowing a thing about the LA Dance Project, except that I've seen some Benjamin Millepied and sort of like it.

So I stumbled on this, not related to any of the above, except for time, place and maybe spirit. I hope that you enjoy it. I find it rather good. (So you thought that Kimin Kim or Ian Macmillan have good elevation) Let me know what you think.

It’s a video for a musical group called The Acid which sounds like the British group Radiohead. Here’s Thom Yorke of Radiohead performing his song, Lotus Flower, to the choreography of Wayne McGregor (37,670,167 views). I won't comment on the 1,000 or so views that a Ulyana Lopatkina or Oxana Skorik might get for one of their videos, except to say that I love them. I do really like Thom Yorke/Wagne McGregor's Lotus Flower too, just differently.

(Both these video are official releases)

Edited by Buddy

Thanks - I rather prefer the second one. Maybe because it really is dancing to music rather than some slo-mo jumping with an overlaid audio track. Neither of them really grab me, though, I must confess! Reminds me a little of FKA Twigs dance video (

).

Thanks - is Clement Crisp particularly noteworthy as a critic? I don't have an FT account. Maybe should pick up a paper copy!

He is the Godfather of British dance critics - so eminent that I could not even hope to breathe the same rarified air.

I quite often do not agree with him but I can enjoy his reviews of things I have not seen.

• Like 3