Where to find Wear Moi pointe shoes in the UK

SBallerina

There are two different companies known as Wear Moi. Both seem to do pointe shoes. The ones mentioned purchased from Leeds are made by the French company. Kate's link is to the London based company who also seem to make pointe shoes.

The OP needs to find out which Wear Moi shoes she has been recommended.

• Like 2

Is there a definnitive list (or maybe some clued up Forum memerb could come up with one???) of Pointe Shoe makes availabel in UK. Brands seem to have changed since my day (ok - talking c.1985 for last pair I bought :huh:)​

Whatever happened to Gamba? & I see my favourite brand Porselli is still trading but in Norwich. Does anyone know if this is the same as the old Covent Garden brand & are their current pointe shoes made on same lasts? I had several memorable fittings with a wonderful old lady (90+ I seem to recall - ah, the ever youthful world of ballet....here's hoping some of it's magic has rubbed off over the years on us all!) who used to fit Anna Pavolova!! My favourite shoe was a very narrow beautiful one....it always had an 'N' stamped on the bottom which I think denoted it as their 'Nicolai' (or might have been something like Nicolletti - anyone here remember better than me? named shoe....apparently the very design AP herself wore! Sadly cannot find a single old pair to clarify details as wore them to death as demi pointe shoes.

DD has almost identical feet to me so am sure she too would love these shoes......does anyone have any more information of these or similar shaped shoe?

Thank you as ever!!

• Like 1

Hi Peanut, I wore those exact same point shoes. Loved my Porselli shoes. The owners of the Norwich dance shop bought out Porselli many years ago so took over the London store. When I was a student the store was on West Street right opposite West Street school. Over time they closed the London store and concentrated their efforts on the website. The owner lives in Norwich and has their warehouse there. Their daughter runs the website.

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 1

Is there a definnitive list (or maybe some clued up Forum memerb could come up with one???) of Pointe Shoe makes availabel in UK. Brands seem to have changed since my day (ok - talking c.1985 for last pair I bought :huh:)​

Whatever happened to Gamba? & I see my favourite brand Porselli is still trading but in Norwich. Does anyone know if this is the same as the old Covent Garden brand & are their current pointe shoes made on same lasts? I had several memorable fittings with a wonderful old lady (90+ I seem to recall - ah, the ever youthful world of ballet....here's hoping some of it's magic has rubbed off over the years on us all!) who used to fit Anna Pavolova!! My favourite shoe was a very narrow beautiful one....it always had an 'N' stamped on the bottom which I think denoted it as their 'Nicolai' (or might have been something like Nicolletti - anyone here remember better than me? named shoe....apparently the very design AP herself wore! Sadly cannot find a single old pair to clarify details as wore them to death as demi pointe shoes.

DD has almost identical feet to me so am sure she too would love these shoes......does anyone have any more information of these or similar shaped shoe?

Thank you as ever!!

Nicolini !!

• Like 1

Nicolini !!

Actually I collect pointe shoes,and love the old rare brands. Ones I have are, Freed,[Of course!], Gamba, Rodney Freed's Turning Pointe, Bellini, Rusbal, Baryshnikov, Ben and Sally ,Anello and Davide [the company denies ever having made pointe shoes,weirdly]. Well I have a pair with the name clearly stamped on the back and the address of 96 Charing Cross Road clearly visible on the back. I also have La Mendola of New York, Triunfo of Italy, Crait, Bleyer, Domyos, Cygne, Inspire, Angelo Luzio, Salvio,Teplov which are made in Israel, Bolshoi pointe shoes, made by Bolshoi Theatre shoe maker Vinokaur . Klings of Chicago. A lot of these companies were around in the fifties and sixties.I also have a pair of Ushi Nagar [Who was a maker at Freeds and branched out on his own. His pointe shoes are hard to come by.]Also Dancer, Rumpf, Harmonie, Vanassa,Blanscet,Continsouza. Plus all the "regular" brands,Bloch,Capezio,etc. There are still a lot of rare brands out there that have been obsolete for decades that i'd love to get my hands on. My pride and joy though have to be the pair of "Toe Tap "pointe shoes. Normal pointe shoes,but with a steel toe covering. Toe Tap was a fad in Hollywood in the Twenties. There's footage of it on You Tube from an old film. Girls up en pointe but tapping away up and down the stairs. Freaky !!

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 1

Just found pairs of Leo's, Wear Moi as I said, Prima Soft, Aloart, Stanlowa,Bob Martin,Schachtner,Chacott,Freddy,Ellis Bella,Fuzi. I have another huge box full of more upstairs. Somewhere i've a folder with all my pairs catalogued, but I can't find it or else i'd bed able to reel all the names off ,especially the current ones. A lot of them are foreign and can only be imported.Often the cost of importing them in to the UK is more than the cost of the shoes.[been there,done that !!]