Summer dance intensives

joyofdance

Hi. I have been looking for a summer dance course for my 12 yr old. I have left it very late so all of the main well known schools are full. We live in the midlands and whilst a residential course is not out of the question we would prefer one that she could get to on a daily basis. She would like to attend one that does a range of dance styles and maybe even some musical theatre but would concider one that is just dedicated to ballet. One of the issues is dates, we need the workshop to be pref mid to late august because of our own holidays. It would be great if any of you experienced parents could recommend a good quality summer course. There are various local ones but to be honest whilst I am sure they are fun they are run by small dance schools and as lovely as they are the standard of teaching isnt great. my daughter wants to have fun but she also wants to be challenged and learn/improve her dance skills. Thanks in advance.

Have you thought about York Ballet Scholars? She might need to be residential but they offer ballet, contemporary, jazz I think and musical theatre? There is a thread somewhere... Applications close in July so there is still time to apply?

York Ballet Scholars is excellent but your DD would need to be residential there. I'm not sure where you are but OPES is in Retford, although I'm not sure whether they are full or what dates it is.

Midland Theatre Ballet and MIDAS may have something on offer? Are any summer classes on offer in Birmingham centre?

Mid-late August summer schools may be rarer but I know of West Yorkshire summer school in Keighley (15-20 August) and Herts Dance Summer School in Hertford (22-26 August). If you search through this forum their contact details will be available so you can ask whether they have places available if they would work for your DD.

It looks great petalviolet. It is quite expensive so I am not sure we could quite afford that amount. I know these summer schools offer amazing opportunities etc but it does sadden me that family's like mine on lower incomes cant give our children these kind of amazing experiences. It does always seem that only the financially well off  can attend. Actually in terms of dance that would be quite a good topic for discussion. 

I still have places on mine for 12 year old .

Mainly ballet . Some jazz / tap / vocals .

15 th Aug - 20 th Aug

Either residential or non

if you look at West Yorkshire summer school thread - you might read some accolades from Kiwimum , Harwel and others .

PM me for details of you're interested .

Tutugirl

• Like 1

Hi, We're running dance days for all during the week of 22nd August in Birmingham, at a cost of £40 per day. Each day will include a ballet class and body conditioning plus other classes such as kicks/turns/leaps, classical repertoire, jazz, musical theatre, contemporary, lyrical and choreography/creative. All classes will have an emphasis on safe dance practice and positive training both in terms of the teaching approach and giving dancers the tools to be self-motivated, confident and positive dancers.

• Like 5

Hi - details aren't yet on the website as I've been focusing on the MIDAS auditions/assessments up til now (and then my own dance schools ballet exams on Saturday!). Not enough hours in the day! The info will go up online soon :)

• Like 1