A Belated Happy Birthday to Boy George [My first love].

Lisa O`Brien

It was his birthday yesterday,14th June. It wasn't that I forgot, it was just that I forgot what yesterday's date was !! Every single year I remember this date as Boy George's birthday. When I was 14 I was SO in love with him. I started eating Bran Flakes because George ate them. Had never tasted them before. [still like them ,so I have him to thank for that]. I had every inch of my bedroom walls and most of the ceiling plastered with posters and photos of him and Culture Club. Would sit staring at them all for hours on end, when I was supposed to be doing homework or revising. For his birthday when I was 15 I sent him a teddy bear. Not even sure where the heck I sent it to in London, maybe his record company ,Virgin, but I sent it somewhere. I sent him one of my favourite teddy bears. I wanted to send him one of the ones I loved the most, rather than a new bear that had no sentimental meaning to me. I wanted to give him something that was special to me, to prove how much I loved him. My mum thought I was bonkers. Then one day I read in Smash Hits or Look In or somewhere that those lovely dreadlocks were not real, and it was in fact a wig. I threw a hissy fit, and shocked at George's fakery I tore down and ripped up every single poster and photo I had on my walls and ceiling. Over 200 of them if I remember correctly. My mum walked into my room and I was standing in the middle of ripped up pictures of him everywhere, all over the floor. I was also going to destroy all my Culture Club records, but my older sister Sue had become a fan after hearing me play his records so often, so she took them all. They were past their best by this stage anyway, but I remember feeling so betrayed, LOL. I don't watch The Voice, but my sister does. She's still a fan of Culture Club. I suppose my soft spot for him must have returned many years later, subconsciously. Might start listening to his music again. He did have a lovely voice. But i'll never know if he received that teddy or not !!

• Like 2

You should have come over to see him sing in McGregor's Carbon Life a few years ago!  Certainly no dreads then!  :)

I took my son and his girlfriend to see that and they were just blown away.

Lisa, I hope you swiftly got over that doomed crush and moved on to someone more promising, like George Michael or Limahl  :D

• Like 3

I took my son and his girlfriend to see that and they were just blown away.

Lisa, I hope you swiftly got over that doomed crush and moved on to someone more promising, like George Michael or Limahl  :D

Yes, my daughter and her friends all loved it too! 

• Like 1

Boy George is probably one of the reasons my school days were a bit er... Unsuccessful! if only I had worked as hard at my work as I did at singing my heart out into my hairbrush or anything else to hand to to Karma Chameleon, etc... Pure bliss! He he!

• Like 1

Boy George does have rather nice blue eyes and that song Victims was my favourite, so theatrical but he could get away with it. 

As for crushes of my youth, no contest. Donny Osmond! He was THE MAN. Or was he the Boy. He had magnificent teeth. :D

Can't remember now when or why I went off him but I did.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 2

Boy George does have rather nice blue eyes and that song Victims was my favourite, so theatrical but he could get away with it. 

As for crushes of my youth, no contest. Donny Osmond! He was THE MAN. Or was he the Boy. He had magnificent teeth. :D

Can't remember now when or why I went off him but I did.

My sister who is older than me by nearly nine years [born in 1959] was "in love" with Donny. She used to play Puppy Love over and over again. Used to make her cry every time. I can still  visualise the MGM record,with the lion image. [And of course in those days, the bit of the record in the middle that you could take out]. 

• Like 1

that made me smile Lisa

Would you believe it ...it was my mother who was the Culture Club fan!

We were only 19 yrs apart so she still enjoyed top of the pops et al when I was a teenager/ twenties.

My big crush like that was Bob Dylan!! I'm sure I could have got better grades at A level if instead of doing my homework I hadn't spent so much time writing all the words of all his songs out and drooling over his songs ( and record covers) especially Lay lady Lay..... probably not the title ....and Blowing in the wind but just hearing his voice on those ones takes me right back to my bedroom when in the 6th form!)

My dad in particular hated his voice .....so nice bit of teenage rebellion defending him all the time ......but my parents did allow me to force them to sit through THAT tv concert with Joan Baez.....probably because at least my dad liked HER voice!

• Like 1

My sister who is older than me by nearly nine years [born in 1959] was "in love" with Donny. She used to play Puppy Love over and over again. Used to make her cry every time. I can still  visualise the MGM record,with the lion image. [And of course in those days, the bit of the record in the middle that you could take out]. 

And they call it puppy luuuuuuuuurve!  That catch in his heartbroken voice as he played on the swings and sung about all the tears and how the grown ups didn't understand. It was so sad. :P I had a giant poster of him on the wall at the foot of my bed and an album, with a cover pic of him sitting in a field of yellow flowers, that I used to make my childminder listen to. I never liked her so it served her right!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

Yep it was SO sad. Far to sad for a six year old. In fact I remember being in floods of tears because my granma gave me the single for Christmas. Why didn't she realise I loved David Essex and the Wombles?! (No wonder I wasn't her favourite grandchild!).

• Like 2