When is a locked thread really a locked thread?

Hi, referring to the locked thread in the Doing Dance section, I'm just irritated enough to post that I don't think it's appropriate to keep unlocking a thread, posting and then locking it again to prevent replies. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to leave a locked thread locked and open a new one to contribute items post "locking"?

DancingDays, I unlocked the thread to post useful on-topic information, because I realise how important the issue is to a lot of parents and dancers.  The reason the thread was closed was because it had gone completely off-topic - a whole page's worth, I seem to remember - and people had ignored requests to get back on topic.  Part of the Moderators' functions is to try and keep the forum reasonably tidy, and if major discussion takes place in an unrelated thread then members will be unlikely to find it, so we tend to lock threads which have gone badly off-topic or become unconstructive.  (Believe me, it is incredibly tedious having to move posts into different threads and forums!)

There is of course nothing to stop anyone opening a new thread, as long as it stays on-topic and doesn't get too political - the whole referendum, like the Scottish one before it, has become a very emotive and painful subject for a lot of people, and we would rather avoid any unpleasantness.

• Like 1

Dancingdays, I don't see that a Moderator unlocking a locked thread once to post helpful information can reasonably be referred to as "to keep on unlocking", or a cause of irritation.

If a thread gets too far off topic, if posters ignore repeated requests to stay on topic, and/or a thread becomes an out-and-out row, we Mods would not be doing our job if we didn't step in and lock it down.

As alison says, it's a lot of time and effort to move posts in and out of threads, and all the Mods are volunteers with lives of our own. The thread was - unfortunately - locked for good reason, and I think we should actually thank alison for popping back in to post a link that was pertinent and very helpful.

• Like 4

Hi, I fully agree with the reason for locking the thread and have always appreciated the input of the moderators which I made no comment on or criticism of. However, by reopening this thread not once as Anna C suggests above, but three times, 5th June, 8th June and again yesterday, it just keeps bringing that same "locked" thread back to the top of the feed.

A new thread for the useful information concerning the EU vote (which each unlocking post has been in reference to) would, in my opinion, be preferable.

In Alison's own words "I'm cheating and reopening this thread" implies that it's not usual to do it.

This is my feedback which I think is fair. At no time did I question the content, the reason or anything else and I am surprised that you have brought so much more into it.

• Like 1

I was away last week so wasn't aware of the thread activity. I've just looked at alison's posts and would have taken the same action myself. The voting information was designed to be helpful, and would not have warranted a new thread being opened, particularly in "Doing Dance".

IMO alison reopened the thread to post helpful information but not info that invited - or needed - discussion, hence there was no requirement to start a new thread. As we are a Ballet Forum, threads regarding politics are not really appropriate and more often than not, they tend to descend into a flame war. So we try to minimise them; hence alison adding to the pre-existing thread.

I don't feel that we have "brought so much more into it"; you are indeed entitled to give feedback, and as Mods we are entitled to respond. We have certain editing tools at our disposal and alison used them just as I, or Jan, or Julie would have. You expressed irritation and hopefully we have clarified the situation.

• Like 2