Prokofiev's 5th symphony - and Cinderella

alison

Listening to a rather good concert at the Festival Hall last night (the Philharmonia and Pablo Heras-Casado - I think I've got that right - he seems to be making rather a name for himself at the moment) I was struck once again by the similarity between Prokofiev's 5th symphony and his ballet score for Cinderella. However, since I got to know the two works more or less simultaneously, I'm never sure whether one *is* actually quoted in the other, or whether they just both inhabit the same soundworld, or whatever the phrase is. Can anyone help me?

Thanks, BBB.  It's just that I was getting so many flashbacks, especially to the final scene of Cinderella with all that "starlight" sort of music, and to some of the more grotesque characters, that I did wonder if there was a direct link.

Prokofiev's 4th Symphony and his "Prodigal Son" have very obvious similarities,and I used to notice bits of his 1st (Classical) Symphony in some of his ballet music but it's ages since I listened to it and I don't have time these days.

The third movement of the "Classical" is used as a gavotte in R&J (in the MacMillan production, it's the second "set" dance at the ball, after Romeo has met Juliet).

This came as quite a surprise to me recently when it was played during the signing of the registers at a wedding!  I wasn't familiar with the Classical Symphony so wasn't expecting a gavotte which I recognised from something else.

Edited to add: ...and it's reprised during the guests-leaving-the-ball scene, isn't it?  So alison's memory is correct.

Edited by RuthE