Royal Ballet promotions 2016

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super news.

Hirano seems to have been around doing a great job for ages- always rock solid- I really liked him in Monotones and he was an excellent Lover in Two Pigeons-two pretty contrasting roles but he convinced in both and he has a lovely elegant line.

I feel he is a dancer who might yet surprise us with some really marvellous work.

...and Akane Takada was pretty much the best Two Pigeons dancer wasn't she?

• Like 1

Really surprised at Heap as she only seems to have done a couple of performances of one soloist role this year (Myrtha) - not seen her do any other non-corps roles. Could say the same about Calvert as well - just a couple of performances as Hermione? And as someone has pointed out - promotion for Hayward without a tutu principal role. Seems like O'Hare is willing to take risks with his decisions.

I am very pleased Campbell has been promoted to principal, as he has been superb in everything I have seen him in this year.  I've not seen enough of Hayward to pass comment, but she was clearly marked for the top.  I am slightly surprised that Takada and Hirano have been made principals, though.  Can't say that either of them have stood out more than others of the same rank, for me anyway. 

• Like 2

Interesting to see that all aud Jebson Programme recruits are from RBS …. is this the norm or is it open to outsiders as well? Really excited for Joe Sissons and look forward to seeing his integration into the company.

• Like 1

Mr O'Hare seems to have promoted Miss Hayward based on her performances of some of the great MacMillan roles Tabitha. She danced Manon, Juliet, The Girl and some of the Ashton repertoire. 

It would however be unthinkable in Russia for a dancer to be promoted to Principal without having danced successfully most if not all of the great tutu Classics; same for the Paris Opera Ballet.

• Like 4

Really surprised at Heap as she only seems to have done a couple of performances of one soloist role this year (Myrtha) - not seen her do any other non-corps roles. Could say the same about Calvert as well - just a couple of performances as Hermione?

Tierney Heap has danced a principal role this season.  She was cast as Carmen in the Acosta production. 

This season, as well as Hermione, Claire Calvert has  danced the Gypsy Girl in Two Pigeons. She has also done a number of major roles in previous seasons. She has danced Gamzatti in Bayadère, Lilac Fairy in Beauty,  Mistress in Manon, Mercedes in Don Q as well as the principal role in Aeternum. 

http://www.roh.org.uk/people/claire-calvert

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Quite unsurprised by the promotions overall. Happy for Matthew & Yasmine especially. But well deserved for everyone.

I'm not surprised Akane has been promoted really, especially considering the roles she's been dancing (I.e her Giselle debut). I've really enjoyed her interpretations in pretty much everything I've seen in recent years & definitely feel she's at a principal level.

Looking forward to cast announcements for next year now :)

When I saw the promotion list I was delighted Francesca Hayward has been made Principal, she is one of my favourite dancers, so beautiful and natural, very well deserved. 

Also very happy for Alexander Campbell being made Principal as well, a delightful dancer.

Please for Claire Calvet being made a First Soloist as well, I really like her as a dancer. 

I think Kevin O'Hare has made good choices. 

• Like 3

I was also delighted with the announced promotions! It just shows O'Hare's commitment to develop talent in the company. 

Four principals in one go - wow! Though I suppose with Yanowsky's reduced rep, Marquez leaving, Osipova's busy schedule (and frequent injuries), I suppose the remaining female principals were being rather strained. 

Also, with Watson and Soares doing less of the rep, Pennefather leaving and Acosta's retirement - it really comes of no surprise!

Thrilled for Naghdi, she has been an absolute delight this season, and Calvert has always been a firm favourite of mine (its the arabesque).

Matthew Ball - future principal for sure!

Tierney Heap - two promotions in one season, how fantastic! She is an underrated talent for sure, finally being recognised. I think her Carmen was the only one that was enjoyed!  She has a stage presence - something which the poor Yuhui fails to compete with. 

• Like 1

This is all so exciting! Really glad O'Hare is making good his promises to foster talent within the ranks.

I saw Hirano as the witch in Hansel and Gretel a while ago and I will never forget it, he was utterly creepy and I couldn't take my eyes off him, so I'm happy he's now a principal! I'm also really glad for Tierney Heap as I saw her Carmen and thought she was fabulous. Anna Rose O'Sullivan is also a favourite so yay all round!

• Like 2

Congratulations to everyone who has been promoted. I am not sure that I am that surprised by Hayward's promotion she seems to communicate with the audience in a very special way.  I think that we can be pretty certain that she will be dancing Aurora after Christmas and I shall be very surprised if Stix-Brunell and Naghdi don't do so as well. Takada's promotion does not surprise me at all and neither does Campbell's nor Hirano's.

I am so very pleased about Alexander Campbell's promotion, although I imagine Janet McN will possibly be even more so. Hurrah!

• Like 3

Really surprised at Heap as she only seems to have done a couple of performances of one soloist role this year (Myrtha) - not seen her do any other non-corps roles. Could say the same about Calvert as well - just a couple of performances as Hermione? And as someone has pointed out - promotion for Hayward without a tutu principal role. Seems like O'Hare is willing to take risks with his decisions.

However, Heap was a wonderful Myrtha last time round let alone this and j gather she sizzled as Carmen, Calvert was just glorious as Hermione on Tuesday afternoon and I couldn't take my eyes off Hayward. With their pairing in Nutcracker, I think we could seeing rather more of the Hayward / Campbell partnership, sad as that may be for Choe....

• Like 1

Great choices and re Tierney Heap she was amazing in Carmen - I think she's going to surprise us. Am sad about Yuhui though - but I guess this is it in terms of promotion.[/quote

From an 'amateur's' perspective, Yuhui has great elegance but has never moved me emotionally in the way that Frankie Hayward does so effortlessly (feel a bit the same about Lamb who I find cold). I have long thought thatMs Hayward could be the successor to the much missed Cojocaru and, as others have said, the rank of female Principal is looking slim, even without Osipova's availability problems. I adore Campbell and am thrilled for him. With Ed Watson hitting 40 I was concerned that emotional connection was all going to rest on the shoulders of Muntagirov.

• Like 2

Mr O'Hare seems to have promoted Miss Hayward based on her performances of some of the great MacMillan roles Tabitha. She danced Manon, Juliet, The Girl and some of the Ashton repertoire. 

It would however be unthinkable in Russia for a dancer to be promoted to Principal without having danced successfully most if not all of the great tutu Classics; same for the Paris Opera Ballet.

However, Galeazzi and Morera achieved promotion without dancing Beauty or Swan Lake and only came to Giselle later in their post principal years....

• Like 4

Great choices and re Tierney Heap she was amazing in Carmen - I think she's going to surprise us. Am sad about Yuhui though - but I guess this is it in terms of promotion.[/quote

From an 'amateur's' perspective, Yuhui has great elegance but has never moved me emotionally in the way that Frankie Hayward does so effortlessly (feel a bit the same about Lamb who I find cold). I have long thought thatMs Hayward could be the successor to the much missed Cojocaru and, as others have said, the rank of female Principal is looking slim, even without Osipova's availability problems. I adore Campbell and am thrilled for him. With Ed Watson hitting 40 I was concerned that emotional connection was all going to rest on the shoulders of Muntagirov.

Your comment regarding Frankie being a possible successor to Alina would fill her with joy. At the Conversation with her and James on Wednesday in the Clore she was asked which of the RB's principals inspired her the most when she joined the company; she said Alina. So well done you for being so perceptive. I am totally made up for her and I am sure she will fill us with much joy for, hopefully, many years to come.

• Like 4

Actually Calvert gave four glorious performances as Hermione

• Like 1

Sorry, realised after typing the above post that the comment to which Tony's remark was in reference to the past year only. I think the fact that Calvert has had relatively few performances this side of a long-term injury shouldn't necessarily be an impediment to the career progression of a dancer in which the management clearly has considerable faith.

Charlotte Tonkinson, joining as an apprentice, is the Northern Ballet Academy CAT scheme graduate isn't she? I'm thrilled at her success, which rather disproves some mean-spirited comments we have heard about this CAT scheme.

I've only heard good things about the scheme.

• Like 1

Your comment regarding Frankie being a possible successor to Alina would fill her with joy. At the Conversation with her and James on Wednesday in the Clore she was asked which of the RB's principals inspired her the most when she joined the company; she said Alina. So well done you for being so perceptive. I am totally made up for her and I am sure she will fill us with much joy for, hopefully, many years to come.

Thank you so much for sharing that. I had the thought when I saw her and Hay in Rhspsody three/four years ago. There is something about her joyful lightness that inspires and she has that all elusive star quality. I was gutted when Kobborg and Cojocaru left. As luck would have it I was there on their last night and couldn't believe it when word came that that was the end. The audience were stunned and the ovations went on forever. For me, RB still doesn't have a pairing to match them but I hear great things of Naghdi and Ball.

Francesca's Manon was wonderful and I saw the Alina style again. Frankie has everything I want in a ballerina - the technical ability combined with emotional connection. It is wonderful that she and I hope, in time Yasmine Naghdi, will be filling the top ranks at RB. Well done Frankie, and nicely done Kevin O' Hare.

• Like 3

How come there have been no leavers announced?

I know for a fact that Sian Murphy has now left the Royal Ballet - I saw it on Instagram!

Along with Leanne Cope, Genesia Rosato, Roberta Marquez (I think - has she formally left yet to return as a guest for Fille, or is she technically still with the company at the moment?) and I imagine a couple of others I've missed. As I said earlier in the thread, my feeling is that *somebody* has recently handed in their notice but for whatever reason they or the company don't want it announced just yet (perhaps until they get back from tour?) so they're holding off on the leavers' announcement until that's finalised.

It's not that I have any suspicions about who that might be, and speculation wouldn't be appropriate, but let's wait a couple of weeks and see if I'm right. It's just a hunch.

I agree with you, Ruth. Alternatively, O'Hare is just now filling up the rather depleted principal ranks. Pennefather and Marquez left during the year and Acosta has had his last main stage performance. That makes three, plus Salenko has danced a number of roles. Osipova's and Morera's injury absences have stretched the company thinly plus more of the principals (male and female) seem to have substantial guesting commitments which mean that they are less available to cover in cases of injury, particularly at short notice.