Asthma and dance

grumpybearzuk

Sorry if it's been talked about before but can't find anything. My daughter is 8 and has been dancing since she was 4. Over the last year we noticed she seemed to take deep breaths frequently I took her to the doctors and they gave her a inhaler to use before exercise. But it's not just exercise that gets her out of breath she can be sitting down and still look like she is breathing deeply. We took her back and they did a peak flow chart and it came back all clear. When she dances she is fine she just uses her inhaler before class. We took her back to doctors today and he thinks she just has a mild form of asthma so is trying her on the brown inhaler as a preventive . Is their anyone on here who's children have this problem. ? I'm worried now but doctor says it shouldn't interfere in her normal life and to keep going what she's doing. Sorry of I'm rambling but am worried

Edited by grumpybearzuk

Hi grumpybearzuk, my DD had something similar when she was around 7 or 8. She had the inhaler and was advised to use just before any form of activity.

We found she seemed to need it when the air was very dry, so we started using a de-humidifier at home at nights and this really helped her. I mentioned it to her Dance teacher (she was only doing a couple of hours per week at that time) and the teacher installed one in the changing rooms and commented that she noticed a lot of the other children seemed to come in to class breathing a lot easier after doing so.

Our doctor felt that it was what she termed as 'seasonal asthma' (don't think this is an actual condition, just her opinion and experience) - brought on by starting to use central heating in the winter and then air conditioning in the summer (although we live in Scotland so probably more the central heating :D ). After about 12-18 months she stopped needing the inhaler, but we still use the de-humidifier frequently - it's nice with a few drops of lavender, helps everyone get a good nights sleep.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ballettaxi
  • Like 1

Thank you for your reply :) its put my mind at ease a bit I might have a word with her dance teacher. Doctor said he thinks a lot of it is panic because her chest tightens and she then try's and takes more breaths in which makes it worse . Told her to relax abit and take long breaths in

Hi my daughter has asthma and has to use lots of medication but it has not let it stop her as long has she has her inhalers with her then I don't, It is quite hard as her dance school is quite old and dusty which always affects her as she has a dust Mite allergy !!!!! Anyway all I wants to say was if she has asthma it shouldn't stop her as long as she has the right medication and the determination not to let it stop her then she will be fine

My DD can struggle for breath following dancing sometimes and her chest goes tight she just uses her blue inhaler and it improves, I hope that releves some worry x x x

• Like 1

Hi my daughter has asthma and has to use lots of medication but it has not let it stop her as long has she has her inhalers with her then I don't, It is quite hard as her dance school is quite old and dusty which always affects her as she has a dust Mite allergy !!!!! Anyway all I wants to say was if she has asthma it shouldn't stop her as long as she has the right medication and the determination not to let it stop her then she will be fine

My DD can struggle for breath following dancing sometimes and her chest goes tight she just uses her blue inhaler and it improves, I hope that releves some worry x x x

Edited by thequays

Thank you Maisie Lou .. It's very encouraging and reassures me a lot . My daughters dance teacher uses 2buildings and one of them too is very old with a dusty carpet in the room they change in which I would imagine aggravates it. I have dust allergies so I know what that's like! I do feel better now I have seen doctor again. Just have to keep monitoring it and definately getting a de humidifier

Thanks again to both of you for your replies xx

My DS has had asthma since he was 3 which have included a few very scary moments when he was admitted to hospital. He is now in 6.2 at Elmhurst so it hasn't stopped him doing what he wanted.

• Like 3

My husband has seasonal asthma, he is 52 and is a fell runner, has done the Welsh Three Peaks and other monumental fell runs and races. He was diagnosed when he was 7 or 8. The key is management and with support your daughter will learn what to do when and together with support from your asthma nurse and GP what medication suits her best. A few years ago (15 years ago?) he was in denial and stopped being so vigilant, we had a couple of scares to A&E and he soon got back on track. Good luck with it all, live with it, manage it properly and like Kathy G's son and my husband it shouldn't stop her from doing what she wants to do.

NL

I feel a little easier now :) its a worry when they are so active you want to wrap them up in cotton wool! Think the problem was my doctor, I have been so many times and been told its not asthma it's just the way she is and she takes deep breathes without realising shes doing it, but I have lost count how many times I have had to go to school because she is struggling and panicking. I will see how she goes with this inhaler and just monitor her now . Thanks everyone :)

I have had Asthma since I was 2. My parents 'protected' me as a child and I was discouraged from doing any exercise. Now I am an adult and can make my own decisions I have discovered that the fitter I am the better my asthma is. Yes I have to take medication to keep it under control, but it is not a big issue.

One tip I was taught when I was a child was, if I was struggling for breath and starting to panic, to take deep, slow breaths OUTWARDS. Don't try to breathe in. Blow out. If you empty the lungs they will naturally refill, and the more you have breathed out, the more air will refill your lungs. May not work for everyone, but it works for me. :)

• Like 1

Now I'm confused, do you all mean a de-humidifier - i.e. to take the moisture OUT of the air? Or a humidifier,to put the moisture back in to the air?

I only ask because when dd was a baby she had a terrible bout of croup, which went on for days. The GP recommended steam, so after a couple of nights laying on her bedroom floor, switching a kettle on and off all night, we bought a humidifier - similar to this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4110398/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_2/2|14417894|Dehumidifiers+and+air+treatment|14418335/c_3/3|cat_14418335|Humidifiers|14417369.htm

It sorted her croup, and we used to use it any time she had a bad cough or cold with trouble breathing. It was an absolute Godsend.

My youngest DD has quite bad asthma but it has never stopped her dancing or singing. A friend had such bad asthma that she needed her asthma inhaler in a five minute walk to school, poor kid :(

My eldest dd (11) was diagnosed with severe asthma in January. She is on lots of strong medication, and it turns out her friends cats had triggered it. In the last 6 months we have called an ambulance 7 times and spent two weeks in hospital, but she has not stopped dancing, actually feels the exercise helps and as previous poster said, singing is great too, I think the breathing exercises strengthen the lungs and really seems to help. I know how worrying it is, but I really feel that the worst thing you can do is to stop the exercise (hospital actually told her to go home and dance when we were discharged, they said it would do her the world of good) xxx

My DD was diagnosed with asthma aged 2 and it was probably at its worst aged 8-12 when she did need to use her inhaler frequently and had a few mild attacks. Dancing was never a problem for her (unlike PE lessons ans swimming) and she was told that keeping fit was the best thing she could do. She was also told that there was every chance she wiould 'grow out' of it - something to do with the possible cause of it - and I'm pleased to say that she has. She has not used an inhaler of over 3 years and even when full of cold has not had any problems - and yes it is the doctors opinion not my own.

AmelieMum's mention of singing reminds me that my doctor suggested that playing a wind instrument would help, so I played the recorder when I was little and then took up the flute when I was a little bit older. I also used to sing a lot. It really does help to practice controlled breathing. So if dd is looking at taking up an instrument maybe conisder a wind instrument or voice to give that added bonus of helping her breathing!

I feel a little easier now :) its a worry when they are so active you want to wrap them up in cotton wool! Think the problem was my doctor, I have been so many times and been told its not asthma it's just the way she is and she takes deep breathes without realising shes doing it, but I have lost count how many times I have had to go to school because she is struggling and panicking. I will see how she goes with this inhaler and just monitor her now . Thanks everyone :)

Can you make an appointment with a different doctor, or ask for a referral?

spanner - you're completely correct, I meant to say a humidifier. Hubby finds it hilarious that I constantly get mixed up between the two - it's really obvious of course, but I can just never get it right in my head. oops!

• Like 1

Yesterday we saw a different doctor who has said she has mild asthma and she has been given the brown preventative inhaler so I'm going to see how she goes with that . But going to keep a close eye on things. I am allergic to a lot of things and I wondered if it was that but not been offered any allergy tests. Just so hard to know what to do best , kids are such a worry !!

spanner - you're completely correct, I meant to say a humidifier. Hubby finds it hilarious that I constantly get mixed up between the two - it's really obvious of course, but I can just never get it right in my head. oops!

I just wanted to check. :-)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your dd's problems Grumpybearzuk :(

My dd is another one with asthma and at times it has been quite bad - though it is well controlled with her various inhalers now. She has LOTS of allergies too, some of which trigger her asthma, the worst being cats - her very first ballet teacher was a lovely lady and very inspiring, but it really didn't help that she had her two cats roaming around the dance studio whenever they felt like it!

My dd always carries a reliever inhaler in her dance bag and just quietly goes off and takes it when necessary - these things are often seasonal, and my dd is definitely worse at the moment with the high pollen count.

• Like 1