• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, after so many viewings I'm starting to find Within The Golden Hour a little soporific. I'm hoping the final performance of it I see may persuade me otherwise :(

As much as I like Within The Golden Hour, I've seen it enough, I think. On Friday, having already seen that cast of it, I went home after The Invitation.

This for me is the biggest problem in the RB's recent habit of putting the same piece in more than one mixed bill in quick succession. If I'd seen any more performances of Rhapsody I dare say I'd have stopped staying for Two Pigeons, too...

• Like 1

Having just posted the above, I think I may yet be persuaded to see next Saturday's matinee, which I hadn't noticed I was free for. I've not seen the second cast of either of the modern pieces yet (having seen second cast of The Invitation at the dress rehearsal).

Can anyone advise if it is better to sit on the left or right of the auditorium for this mixed bill? I have yet to see it but hoping to book some tickets for the Saturday matinee. 

Agree with posters re the problem of reprogramming ballets for triple bills so soon-especial when there are many one act ballets that are well overdue an outing ( cough cough  Les Biches) 

Would have said marginally to the right: I've sat on the left both times so far, and missed a few bits of Obsidian Tear, but then possibly I'd change my mind if I'd been sitting on the right!

Edit: come to think of it, I think you'd miss more of The Invitation sitting on the left, too.

Well, I've just decided to book a ticket for the matinee on Saturday.  Last minute decision, as I was supposed to be somewhere else.  I am slightly confused, as in spite of all the "Please collect your ticket from the Box Office"  notices, my confirmation email said I am getting an e-ticket.  I wait with eager anticipation. 

Sadly, I don't have my blue badge.  :(

Can anyone advise if it is better to sit on the left or right of the auditorium for this mixed bill? I have yet to see it but hoping to book some tickets for the Saturday matinee.

I was sitting at the right lower slips & for the most part had a pretty good, uninterrupted view. My only issue was with the final pas de deux in Obsidian Tear (I assume it was a pas de deux anyway). I missed the entire thing because they only seemed to dance in one place?

Well, I've just decided to book a ticket for the matinee on Saturday. Last minute decision, as I was supposed to be somewhere else. I am slightly confused, as in spite of all the "Please collect your ticket from the Box Office" notices, my confirmation email said I am getting an e-ticket. I wait with eager anticipation.

Fonty, I had the same thing when I booked late for the general rehearsal. I think you can do either. When you get the e-ticket you can either print it or just show it to them on your phone. Or you can collect the ticket in time-honoured fashion from the box office.

Edited by Balletfanp

Well you've answered my querie too I was going to ring the box office tomorrow about it!!

Because I booked for this matinee in under the 14 days I got the same message.

At first I thought it was a choice but have now been sent an e-ticket and was wondering whether that will stand for an ordinary ticket or whether I still have to show this AND collect a normal ticket!!( in exchange etc)

But it looks like the e-ticket will suffice then. I've printed it off anyway.

I'm sitting in the Amphi.....end of row on the right side D 67 I think.

Perhaps the Amphi people could have an arranged meeting point up there?

:lol:

Regarding the email about e tickets, the message said "Keep it on your phone or print it now".  I find it amusing that even the ROH thinks we are all so trendy these days, we have phones that are capable of such things.  My phone allows me to make phone calls.  Oh, and I can even send texts!

• Like 7

:lol:

Regarding the email about e tickets, the message said "Keep it on your phone or print it now".  I find it amusing that even the ROH thinks we are all so trendy these days, we have phones that are capable of such things.  My phone allows me to make phone calls.  Oh, and I can even send texts!

ditto!!

So mine would end up printed on an A4 page. Very environmentally freindly!

• Like 3

The ROH choice is very limited now compared to other theatres which usually give you collect, post, or print at home. Since I don't have a printer or mobile phone the only option for me is post, I can't pick up the tickets at the Box Office before the date of the performance. All the tickets I booked for the Summer period including the Bolshoi were lost in the post so I am more aware of this now, actually they allowed me to pick up a duplicate set of tickets from the Box Office as there were so many involved, but if you select "collect" you have to wait for the day itself, not good as people might want to return a ticket beforehand for many reasons.

• Like 1

I've found that, if you select e-tickets but don't download them, you can then go to the box office and they will print all the tickets for you. You definitely don't need to wait for the day of the performance to have them printed.

Edited by Bluebird

But Dave, you, like me, have to do the printing, from your store of A4, and the ROH prints nothing.  Ditto Banks  etc etc

The ones that really get my goat, are the ones that 'allow' you to print your ticket at home - and charge you extra for the privilege.

• Like 2

Sounds like when we went to the tennis at Queens last year.  We both paid on the door, using cards since the option was available.  Not only did we get charged a booking fee (which wasn't pointed out anywhere that I could see), but there was also another £2.50 or so for "postage"!!

Oh, they do that at the O2 as well.  I went and bought a ticket from the Box Office, in person, and paid on the spot, in cash.  I was charged a huge amount as an "booking fee".  I think it was £5.  I know I was shocked and argued about it, but the stony faced employee just shrugged. 

It appears there are still quite a few unsold seats all over the house for Saturday's matinee. Perhaps surprising given all the positive reviews. Anyway, hopefully there will be a last minute rush! The evening and final performance was sold out but a few tickets are now available.

I highly recommend the matinee, as you will see the brilliant second cast in The Invitation...Naghdi/Donnelly/Cowley/Whitehead.  They are an equal first cast, IMHO.

LinMM, many of us sit on the amphi terrace outside in the intervals.  As you go through the door we are a big table on the left.  If they have blocked it off for fine dining, then we sit straight ahead.  Wear the blue badge and we will keep an eye out!

If I am standing, I often stay in the Floral Hall and sit on the long bench.  I will need to check my tickets for each of Saturday's shows this evening, but I would love to meet all of you lovely forum folk if possible, even just to say a quick hello and finally put faces to names....and real names to names!  :)

• Like 3

Yes hope to meet up haven't decided what wearing yet.

We are having terrible wifi problems down here at the moment. Looks like we'll be forced into an upgrade soon!

Looking forward to Saturday now and will try to avoid being run over by a bike!!

Yes, I shall be there at the matinee as well, badge less, but carefully examining everyone else in the hope I can spot a fellow forum user. 

The weather says it is going to rain on Saturday, unfortunately, so the outside terrace looks like it could be a bit damp. 

Two very fine casts indeed and as The Girl both Yasmine Naghdi and Francesca Hayward have given us outstanding performances.

It is very rare that two different casts bring equal weight to a ballet. There wasn't a weak link in any of them.

I bought a last minute ticket to attend the Matinee yesterday. Olivia Cowley was very impressive as the wronged wife, one of her best roles. I really loved her portrayal. David Donnelly and Thomas Whitehead were excellent male partners. Whitehead was great as the cold and distant husband but I would have preferred him to soften his attitude towards The Girl: he looked so threatening from the start and any young girl would have been frightened by such a man. Naghdi however was not deterred by his cold and threatening look, instead she persisted in her attempt to dance with him... and as such unknowingly seduces him. 

I saw something new in Naghdi's interpretation as she no longer portrayed a totally innocent Girl. She became obviously aware of the husband's special attraction to her. Her acting was finely balanced between a totally innocent Girl and the Girl who was going to "seduce" him yet unaware of what the result could be. The transition Naghdi made of being a child and her cousin's object of affection, to finding herself attracted to an older man was very well portrayed. When she finds herself completely alone with the man she "flirts", at which point the stereotypical question is raised: "Wasn't she asking for it?"

The brutality of the rape and Naghdi finding herself laying alone on the floor brought tears to my eyes. Later on - staring at the naked statues - she finds herself alone again. Naghdi's loneliness, emptiness was very palpable. The harsh and cold look she gets from the woman who protects her husband after the rape also enforced the Girl's total loneliness; her body and face now frozen as she realises she will never be the same again.  

During her curtain call, a woman sitting in front of me, shouted out "amazing". That one word summed it all up. "The Invitation" is certainly one of my Season 2015-16 highlights. 

• Like 8

Two very fine casts indeed and as The Girl both Yasmine Naghdi and Francesca Hayward have given us outstanding performances.

It is very rare that two different casts bring equal weight to a ballet. There wasn't a weak link in any of them.

I bought a last minute ticket to attend the Matinee yesterday. Olivia Cowley was very impressive as the wronged wife, one of her best roles. I really loved her portrayal. David Donnelly and Thomas Whitehead were excellent male partners. Whitehead was great as the cold and distant husband but I would have preferred him to soften his attitude towards The Girl: he looked so threatening from the start and any young girl would have been frightened by such a man. Naghdi however was not deterred by his cold and threatening look, instead she persisted in her attempt to dance with him... and as such unknowingly seduces him. 

I saw something new in Naghdi's interpretation as she no longer portrayed a totally innocent Girl. She became obviously aware of the husband's special attraction to her. Her acting was finely balanced between a totally innocent Girl and the Girl who was going to "seduce" him yet unaware of what the result could be. The transition Naghdi made of being a child and her cousin's object of affection, to finding herself attracted to an older man was very well portrayed. When she finds herself completely alone with the man she "flirts", at which point the stereotypical question is raised: "Wasn't she asking for it?"

The brutality of the rape and Naghdi finding herself laying alone on the floor brought tears to my eyes. Later on - staring at the naked statues - she finds herself alone again. Naghdi's loneliness, emptiness was very palpable. The harsh and cold look she gets from the woman who protects her husband after the rape also enforced the Girl's total loneliness; her body and face now frozen as she realises she will never be the same again.  

During her curtain call, a woman sitting in front of me, shouted out "amazing". That one word summed it all up. "The Invitation" is certainly one of my Season 2015-16 highlights. 

I thought Naghdi was absolutely wonderful yesterday afternoon. A stunning performance.

• Like 6

Hi everyone, a few quick thoughts of yesterday's matinee.

I didn't dislike Obsidian Tear, I quite enjoyed it, but at the same time I wouldn't rush to see it again.  The first section with the two dancers went on a bit too long for me, and I was starting to get a bit restless, but the whole thing picked up when everyone else came on stage.  I just wish that McGregor could sometimes provide choreography that has everyone on stage doing the same thing at the same time, rather than individuals doing their own thing.  I missed the moment when the man in red was marked, I was looking at someone else moving about.  Dramatically, I think it would have worked better if the ballet had finished when the victim is thrown into the void.  The extra bit after that didn't really add anything to the ballet IMO, it just seemed to be filling up the music till the end.

The Invitation was very powerful dramatically.  I was slightly puzzled that when the Girl and the Husband start to get a bit fruity on the dance floor in front of everyone else, they do so under the gaze of the mother and the governess.  Surely one of these ladies would have stepped in a lot sooner?  In fact, nobody seems particularly interested, unless I missed some of the reactions.    I thought Naghdi was superb in this, and the whole ballet really packed an emotional punch.  Yes, it has its flaws, but with acting performances like that, I wasn't too bothered. 

Finally, I loved Within the Golden Hour.  Gorgeous dancing, and lovely music.  I found it interesting to see those particular lead females on stage together.  For me, Choe more than held her own against the two newly promoted principals.  In fact, I enjoyed her performance the most. 

It was also good to meet LinMm, Jacqueline, DonQ, Indigo and Janet.  Great to put faces to names after all this time. :)

• Like 6

Had an all round lovely day yesterday meeting up with some Balletco members and the really lovely ( sorry bit of a lame word) matinee

Will report back later as had very late night ......back to Lewes to the Lamb and then dancing to the crazy group Buffos Wake (ska/Balkan/ gypsy etc etc!!

So when all the chores I've got away with postponing have been done will report back but do have very similar views to Fonty above.

• Like 1

Obsidian Tear didn't do much for me yesterday. I wanted to enjoy but it dragged and although I appreciate the skill of the dancers involved, it all looked like terribly hard work. I thought of all the time spent on creating the work - the hours of rehearsal, the intellectual struggle, the cost and so on. All for a work that was for me, wafer thin and instantly forgettable. The best part was the lighting of the auditorium, which gave me an opportunity to observe the detail of its golden splendor.

The Invitation is a strange work in my opinion. It is clearly a two act ballet, as originally intended, shoehorned rather than adapted into one act and as such rather unbalanced. I have just read Fonty's review above and I agree the work has flaws -  certain things didn't seem quite believable even with the peculiarities of human behaviour -  but the superb performances carried you along. What a wealth of talent we have at the RB.

The evening entertainment for the adults was unusual. I almost laughed with disbelief at the dancing chickens they seemed so incongruous, even in the days before telly. There then seemed to be all sorts of people running about in the bushes, including the chickens, in the style of a Benny Hill sketch.

Within the Golden Hour was enjoyable enough in its Wheeldon way, lovely dancing and I liked the music. Choe is lovely, expressive and with such a pleasing personality, she captures your attention. I don't understand why promotion has passed her by.

All in all, a diverse triple that mostly worked and I am glad I went.

I was astonished to be seated near two women, presumably mother and grandmother, with two girls in between who can't have been more than 7 or 8 years old. They sat and whispered through Obsidian, which must have bored them to death, then through Invitation, the subject matter of which I imagine, mercifully would have gone right over their heads and then they didn't return for Golden Hour, which was the most likely to appeal! Inexplicable.

I was also pleased to meet LinMM for the second time and Fonty, Indigo and Don Q for the first. Sorry I didn't see Janet. It was very exciting to be on the terrace when the Queen's fly past, er, flew past. I didn't see any naked cyclists on ground level though, which was no great disappointment.

That's it for me at the moment. I don't have any tickets for anything else. :(

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 4

Having reflected overnight on what was my first visit to the ROH in some two years, I regret to say that I feel considerably less satisfaction with the evening than I recorded after seeing Northern Ballet's Jane Eyre some ten days ago.  (The drive into and out of town did not help.)  The movement in Obsidian Tear seemed softer and less angular than earlier McGregor works and the commitment displayed by all nine chaps was beyond argument.  The two Salonen pieces used were excellent, with Nyx giving the orchestral brass a real workout.  The initial duet was interesting but I rather lost the later plot in a welter of semaphore, was somewhat taken aback as a body was apparently dropped into an inferno, and found myself wondering why Balanchine had not remarked that putting nine men on a stage provided an instant story.  And to find nine separate credits listed for the fairly dire costumes was almost beyond belief.

I had been particularly interested to see The Invitation, about which I had only heard and, perhaps because of overmuch expectation, I feel pretty flat about it now.  That disappoints me as I felt much more positive about MacMillan's My Brother, My Sisters and Judas Tree, for example.  (I may also be reflecting in part the neutral feelings of my wife, who was in the original production.)  

Perhaps proof that I was not truly in the mood comes from feeling that Chris Wheeldon's Within The Golden Hour was a thing of parts, possibly because I found the thin string sound of much of the score an annoyance.  Nonetheless, I was taken by the short duet for two men around the halfway point and really liked the all-action tableau going strong as the curtain came down.

All in all, a pity.  I can see that others have loved the show - indeed, we had a particularly exuberant example of the genus Whooping Fanlady give voice in the row in front at the end of the McGregor - and I'm annoyed that I don't feel better about it all.  Another time perhaps.

• Like 1