Norfolk Dance Association

OnlyDance

Have finally taken the plunge and come out of lurking!

My dd is enrolled on the above summer school this year - it's her first one and I'm just posting here to hear any experiences of it. I don't really have much of a clue about dancing but dd is hooked (especially on ballet but I persuaded her to try tap & modern as thought she was getting a little obsessed!). 

Thanks for reading.

My dd used to do ?Norfolk Scholars many moons ago. On the regular sessions they would have ballet followed by another discipline. Ballet teacher was Rachel Hunt who I notice is teaching on the summer school. Dd enjoyed her time at these classes and meeting girls from other dance schools. It was her first experience of non syllabus classes and different teaching styles.

• Like 1

DD joined Norfolk Scholars a few years ago - was in their production at the Theatre Royal (Ruby) and then did the regular classes for a couple of years. They were on Sundays but she stopped when she joined Dance East CAT scheme as it clashed. She also did 2 summer schools and enjoyed them. Ballet teacher was Rachel Hunt.

• Like 1

Thanks Katymac, Jane and Jazzpaws for the replies.  Nice to hear of good experience with the ballet teacher as this is by far dd's favourite dance style. It will also be her first experience of non syllabus classes which I think she'll enjoy.

Katymac, might I ask why it wasn't a good fit for her? 

Jane & Jazzpaws - is the Norfolk Scholars like an associate scheme? And do you know if it's still running?

It is a good many years since dd was a Norfolk Scholar. I am wondering if scholars evolved to become Norfolk Dance Association. I can find nothing on web about Norfolk Ballet Scholars. It would seem strange to have Rachel Hunt teaching ballet at two similar schemes in one location.

Jazzpaws my dd was also in Ruby.

It was running fairly recently as far as I know. There used to be sessions about once a month, totalling 10 in a year I think, so not as frequent as an associate scheme, but auditions were held. You could find out more by contacting the summer school organisers as they were connected.

What a coincidence Jane ! DD was a munchkin and had a lovely time. There never was much information on line about Scholars, but the people who organised scholars also organised the summer school as far as I can remember. Porselli in Norwich would probably have information as well.

My mum has been in the Norfolk dance association committee since its inception. Unfortunately, the scholars scheme has wained considerably over the last few years due to the fact the chairperson has lost a bit of impetus due to age and ill health and the refusal to allow anyone else to take over. Such a shame, it was a very good scheme for Norfolk children. The summer school is taught by top notch teachers and is very reasonably priced. In the past one school has dominated and they aren't the friendliest of dance schools however, there are plenty of others from lots of smaller schools who tend to band together. My son did this as his very first experience of a summer school when he was 9 and it was really good for him, although he never wanted to go again.

• Like 1

My dd has done events where one dance school has dominated and it can be a little overwhelming especially if your child is reserved. Dd has managed to persevere through the duration of these events and only once needed a lot of persuasion to complete the course - it wasn't anything to do with Norfolk DA but another unrelated summer school.

Onlydance I'm sure your daughter will have a great time with Rachel teaching ballet and learning the other disciplines on offer. Are any other dc going from her school?

Jazzpaws my dd was a big poppy.

• Like 1

Ah thanks for the interesting replies. A munchkin and a giant poppy??!! Excellent inside knowledge there Harwel! It's a pity that what sounds an excellent scheme has come to an end. DD will just have to make the most of the summer school  :)  

My dd has done events where one dance school has dominated and it can be a little overwhelming especially if your child is reserved. Dd has managed to persevere through the duration of these events and only once needed a lot of persuasion to complete the course - it wasn't anything to do with Norfolk DA but another unrelated summer school.

Onlydance I'm sure your daughter will have a great time with Rachel teaching ballet and learning the other disciplines on offer. Are any other dc going from her school?

Jazzpaws my dd was a big poppy.

My dd is very shy, though has improved hugely in the last year. I'm not aware of any other kids going from her schools - certainly not from her age group - and both schools are organising their own summer schools too but I wasn't aware of this when I booked her place. I just wanted her to do something to make up for not being allowed to apply to audition for associate lessons.

Hi Only Dance - my DD was not from the dominating dance school, but had great pleasure from being a Norfolk Scholar and Norfolk Dance Association summer schools. I'm not quite sure what you mean by your DD not being allowed to audition for associate schemes - is that a personal reason or does that come from her her current dance school?

My DD only ever had encouragement to apply for associate schemes from her ballet teacher ( who is second to none in my opinion) and I feel this helped her to gain a place in full time post 16 vocational training.

The Norfolk Dance Association is the same as Norfolk Scholars - its run by the same people and has been running for 33 years.  The 'Days of Dance' are now what used to be Scholars.  The summer school is at at different location this year with a large ballet studio with mirrors and barres yay!  The website is www.norfolkdanceassociation.co.uk which has applications for summer school and the information for students and parents. 

• Like 1

Pleased to hear it Jazzpaws  ;) (dominating school). As for the "not being allowed to audition for associate schemes" DD found out about RBS associate scheme through their website and asked me if she could audition. When I saw that I'd need her school's permission I told DD I'd see what her teacher thought of the idea and take the lead from her. Her teacher said she thought she was too young and to wait until next year - so we didn't apply. DD thinks her teacher thinks she isn't good enough - I've told her maybe the teacher thinks she's too shy and she should grow in confidence first (and what better place to start than summer school lol!!)

I'm sure your DD's teacher knows best. However I have heard of some teachers that are not keen on RBS associates as they think it will not work with their teaching. This is not the case as RBS actively encourages teachers to be involved and watch classes, as it's a scheme designed to compliment existing dance schools. DD was RBS Senior Associate and only applied because of encouragement from her ballet teacher. But, getting back to Norfolk Scholars, during the Ruby rehearsals, a girl was spotted by RBS, and successfully applied to White Lodge, joining in Year 9 !

• Like 1