Interesting article .. The Acro Invasion

annaliesey

My DS dance school introduced an Acro class last year. Having observed the class and his homework exercises the exercises and stretches that they do are identical to those that he has been doing in the 45 exercise class that he takes prior to his ballet class at the associate scheme that he has been at for 3 years.

This class was introduced purely for strength and conditioning purposes and not to learn tricks for performance purposes so I don't know whether that makes a difference! They use mats and the movements are not as high impact as the tumbling in gymnastics (I did Acro gymnastics for many years)

• Like 1

I think that there is a degree of inevitably about injury in any physical pursuit,but that that risk can me minimised by a number of means - probably best achieved by a combination of education and legislation. And there is injury and injury...

For example,my youngest is currently obsessed with cycling. I fully accept that if he sticks at it, at some point he will have fairly high speed crashes. We are bound to end up picking bits of road or velodrome boards out of his legs some time, and if he doesn't fracture his collar bones at least once it will be a miracle. Those kinds of accidents are risks that come with the sport and can't really be avoided. You accept that risk when you decide to participate. But what he won't be getting is joint and muscle damage from riding a bike with too high gearing, or overuse injuries from participating in excessively long races. Nor will he be able to ride in events that are above his ability level - all these things are pretty effectively legislated against.

Dancers have accidents of course, and they always will. But I think there is a lot more could be done to prevent the overuse/inappropriate use injuries that seem to be so common.

• Like 4

My DS dance school introduced an Acro class last year. Having observed the class and his homework exercises the exercises and stretches that they do are identical to those that he has been doing in the 45 exercise class that he takes prior to his ballet class at the associate scheme that he has been at for 3 years.

This class was introduced purely for strength and conditioning purposes and not to learn tricks for performance purposes so I don't know whether that makes a difference! They use mats and the movements are not as high impact as the tumbling in gymnastics (I did Acro gymnastics for many years)

As I posted earlier, there is a lot that dance can take from gymnastics in terms of strength and conditioning, and flexibility training too. Classes for this reason are quite different to the 'tricks and tumbles' that many other places offer!

• Like 1