Associate schemes non ballet (jazz/modern)?

new123

Hi, I know this is a ballet forum but could anyone advise please whether there are any associate schemes for jazz/modern/contemporary? My DD is 9, she does ballet, jazz and tap at her dance school but jazz is her favourite. I think she finds it more fun. Would love for her to be able to take classes with professionals but not sure any jazz associate schemes exist. Thank you in advance.

Not sure about associate scheme's but there are a number of Centre for Advanced Training schemes around the country which concentrate on contemporary dance.  Only problem is that they don't usually take students until 12 or 13 as contemporary is a more mature dance type.  Some of the centres might have an associate scheme for modern though if you get in touch with them.

Good luck!

• Like 1

What about something like Urdang Youth Academy? I think it's once a month. Don't think you have to audition. They do ballet, jazz and musical theatre at each session.

I don't have any personal experience of this scheme but one of DD's dance school friends has just started and seems to be enjoying it. They stream on ability from what I understand.

Edited by Balletmumealing
  • Like 1

Not an Associate scheme but I can also recommend the Tring holiday courses if you are close enough. DD has done a few including the Easter residential. They do specific Jazz or Musical Theatre courses which run from a day to a week or more general dance courses where they do different genres, including ballet, jazz, contemporary and commercial. DD has enjoyed them all so far.

• Like 3

Hi, if you can get to London, London Studio do mixed associate courses of Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz and Musical Theatre. These I think start at 14 years, but they do junior classes prior to that so their website would be worth a look. Cris Penfold who oversees Saturday classes is very helpful and efficient at answering emails.

• Like 3

2littledancers is it the one on Tuesday? I was thinking of booking it as it looks great.

Annaliesey- are the drop in classes in pineapple suitable for children? I wasn't sure what age they are for.

Thanks everyone!

Annaliesey- are the drop in classes in pineapple suitable for children? I wasn't sure what age they are for.

Thanks everyone!

Hmm that's a bit tricky as in respect of jazz, some are and some aren't really :) (just being honest) they are really fast paced compared with dance school classes so maybe watch some of the teacher videos on pineapple website and see if you can gauge from that.

Ones I would say OK are Lil J's class on a Saturday usually has a handful of kids in and she's fab with them. Classes are usually busy. There's tumbling for dancers on and there's a class for <11yrs so some of the kids might do another class on a Saturday. Half term etc usually has more kids.

Check out the style of jazz too as there's contemporary jazz (Ryan Jenkins) and other types which are more lyrical jazz or theatre jazz. The Commercial jazz are the ones that are more inappropriate due to music, maturity of the class as they can be quite raunchy with conversations that you would expect from adults!

Look for ones on the timetable that say All levels or beginner/elementary as they are beginner professional so not like a kids beginner if that makes sense.

To give you an idea my dd has done all her ISTD jazz awards but it's more advanced than that but great for someone who likes jazz :)

It's difficult finding jazz classes for this age group so I sympathise :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...