Small girl pants that don't show under leotards?

Confuddled

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to find some nude pants for my daughter but she is only 7. to go under a tutu, she has to wear pants as I can't wash the tutu after she has worn it. what do people do with children in festivals? I can't see pants for her age anywhere. white would do I suppose if I cut them to be the right leg line shape as long as they don't unravel leaving a long thread....

• Like 1

M&s have lovely childrens' microfibre seam free knickers in white. You could probably soak them in tea or coffee to make them a more beige colour? I've seen some in dance shops too but rather expensive!

Edited by Moomin
  • Like 1

I found a selection on Amazon and eBay (put 'girls dance briefs' in the search box), and they were cheap enough to get a few to see what fitted (my daughter is also 8, and small, so they adult sizes were just not going to work). In the end, she preferred the silkier feeling ones, though she had initially said that she thought cotton would be comfier.

I started a thread about it, actually:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/12613-small-girl-pants-that-dont-show-under-leotards/

I am trying to find some nude pants for my daughter but she is only 7. to go under a tutu, she has to wear pants as I can't wash the tutu after she has worn it. what do people do with children in festivals? I can't see pants for her age anywhere. white would do I suppose if I cut them to be the right leg line shape as long as they don't unravel leaving a long thread....

A trick I learnt for the little pip squeaks and the issue with underwear and costumes incl tutus. Panty liners. discreet and hygienic. Obviously subject to the changing room facility at the venue. Also works for ballet exams when they are not allowed to wear knickers but the seam of the ballet tights is rather ...... uncomfortable. So difficult to purchase suitable underwear as all childrens' knickers have garish patterns and most are low cut. 

PS Next go down to a size 6 on some underwear ranges. 

Edited by balletbean

Tezenis microfibres pants are worth a look. £10 for 3 pairs and come in a multitude of different colours and shapes to go under leotards. The store is as you come off tube at Oxford Circus but they do mail order. We combine pointe shoe/knicker shopping ;)

Love that store the selection is fab. Unfortunately the location isn't  :wacko:  P + P can sometimes work out more than the cost of the underwear!

I've had a look at the M&S ones and they might be ok, but I think flesh coloured would be better and they only do black and white. She will be wearing tights, but she's very picky about how things feel and I suspect she won't like wearing them without pants. The First Position ones look like the Katz ones, I might see which is cheapest and get one pair to try.

Shygirlsmum If you have a spare pair of First Position ones in a 6-8, I'd happily buy them.

Really sorry Confuddled, I missed your post - glad to hear you got sorted. 

I do still have the First Position ones, this has reminded me I need to put them on ebay, show my OH that I do not just waste money on dance stuff - I had a real telling off at the weekend  :)

• Like 1

I fully agree that underwear is required for reasons of comfort and hygiene. No one will convince me that it is ok to expect nylon mix tights to be worn next to the skin, by anyone - aged 2 or 92.

I am however a little obsessive about knickers showing under leotards. I hate it, it looks so sloppy and frankly ridiculous. When DD was tiny we used to buy cotton knickers that could be cut to be high-legged, using pinking shears to avoid the cut edges unravelling; it did look a little strange for a very small child to be wearing high cut knickers! but it meant that she was comfortable and yet looked as though she was wearing a leotard only. She is now ok with chain store small high-cut knickers but we wouldn't hesitate to use the same trick again if required ;)

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 3

But surely professional dancers don't wear pants under their leotards when they are performing and these days much modern choreography is danced bare-legged. And when I have seen photographs and seen dancers live it's pretty clear that there is nothing more than a very small liner in the crotch area. Really, these leotards are pretty thin and pretty skimpy. Perhaps that's why student dancers are expected to get used to wearing leotards without pants underneath. I don't know why leotards can't be made with better lining and / or why the schools can't commission the manufacturers of dance wear to develop an appropriate range of low cost underwear for the student dancer.

• Like 2

At my daughters RBS JA class the uniform list states that girls must buy seamfree nude pants from IDS. They are a high cut and definitely work as under a white leotard you really can't notice them. Perhaps worth a try. I've also (for other dance classes) purchased nude underwear from a large online dance shop that are also very good.

• Like 1

I am however a little obsessive about knickers showing under leotards. I hate it, it looks so sloppy and frankly ridiculous. ;)

I'm exactly the same. I even cut out labels in costumes so they don't show through!

It's not just the knickers showing around the leg line it the telltale line around the abdomen. A bug bear of mine.  No matter how well lingerie is advertised at having no VPL.  Ever since I was a child dancer (a few too many years to remember) there was always the rule of no knickers for an exam (RAD and ISTD). Didn't think that was anything but the norm. Certainly stops the fidgeting with the leotard! 

This rule of thumb has crossed over to show costumes hence the use of panty liners especially when a costume cannot be washed.  ^_^

• Like 1

I've always had the no knicker rule for exams etc too thought it was the norm. I wash leotards and tights after so no particular concern about hygiene and on a little girl I dont object really. No different to a swimming costume. When they start wearing tights I think you can get away with knickers underneath without too much bother.

• Like 1