Associate programme auditions - what happens next?

clueless1604

Hello - this is my first post here (as my username might suggest!)

I wondered if anyone could give me some insight into what tends to happen following auditions for associate programmes with ballet schools / companies?

How long do you normally wait to find out whether you have been successful? Is it usually a letter or phone call?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

The waiting is the worst isn't it? I was aware that when it comes to Musical Theatre sometimes you don't get in because you don't have the right look for a character - wrong height, hair colour etc...but I was told the other day that the same can be true for some dance companies. I think it helps my dd if she understands that it's not that she's isn't good enough, just not what they are looking for on the day.

• Like 1

It's definitely true for dance companies! For example DS is way too short for many European companies.

You can go to audition and not get past the door if you don't look right for the company.

It's tough.

It's definitely true for dance companies! For example DS is way too short for many European companies.

You can go to audition and not get past the door if you don't look right for the company.

It's tough.

Do companies normally specify what they are looking for physically? 

There is much dance companies can't specify by law! Best thing is to dig deep through their website and dancers and gauge if there is a "type"they look for. Certain ones will go for tall willowy types while others like powerful strong dancers.

I once flew to vienna only to be omitted from the class as i didn't have blonde hair!! But they couldn't possibly advertise this. One extremely talented dancer didn't get into a very well known company because he was spanish........and they had too many already! Again this was not written anywhere just passed back to him verbally.

There's much to be said for DD's open door policy regarding her own dance school's associate programme.

The only criteria being:

"No udders, no humps, no hooves."

So Barbies and Mr Platypus have sailed through.

Camel, SWL . Remains positive but he may want to investigate a less classical route.

• Like 2

Thank you kindly ladies.

Associate audition month gathers momentum..

Personally I could do without my iCloud storage limits constantly maxing out by her taking a billion audition entry photos of Miffy (little white Japanese rabbit) in ARABESQUE which bears a strong resemblance to Miffy positioned sideways which really could be Miffy waiting for a bus or watching paint dry.

• Like 5