I'm a United fan. But annoyed we won the FA Cup !

Lisa O`Brien

Sounds weird,I know. But part of me was kind of hoping United would lose today, as it would instigate them appointing Jose Mourinho. Now it could be they keep Van Gaal for another season,which TBH is the last thing we need.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Ditto.  Some of us would have been proud if our team had won the FA Cup :(

I was hoping you were going to say something like you were rooting for the underdog, or you thought the ref did something he shouldn't have, or something.

And good luck with Mourinho ...

• Like 2

That was the impression I got from the live written commentary, certainly.  Haven't seen the match yet, so can't comment further, but will have a look before I wipe it from the hard drive.

Well now it appears that Van Gaal has been sacked i'm happy. Nothing against him at all, but one FA Cup win, and no Premier League title, yet again [couldn't even finish in the top four] and no Champions League spot again is pretty dire by United's standards. Happy United have their 12th FA Cup win but it's just not enough.  BTW, I think Jose is well sexy.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Well I was rooting for Crystal Palace.

Perhaps if I had been rooting for MU, CP may have won!

so it was YOUR fault!!!!  ;-)

For three glorious minutes the dream was alive (as was my wager for 1-0 to Palace). Ah well, perhaps we'll do it in 20 years, when we'll next be due in the final...

• Like 4

It will be interesting to see how Mourinho gets on at Man U. Don't forget that Chelsea, another rich club, under performed under his watch this season. I can't bear him personally. Tantrums and petulance are embarrassing in a grown man.

Happy United have their 12th FA Cup win but it's just not enough.

Well, I'm sorry it's not enough for you.  I'm sure the Crystal Palace fans who literally came halfway round the world to see their team at Wembley would have been more than delighted with it.

• Like 3

Well now it appears that Van Gaal has been sacked i'm happy. Nothing against him at all, but one FA Cup win, and no Premier League title, yet again [couldn't even finish in the top four] and no Champions League spot again is pretty dire by United's standards. Happy United have their 12th FA Cup win but it's just not enough.  BTW, I think Jose is well sexy.

But it is wonderful for the game of football in general that some other teams are getting some glory.  And how long had LVG been in charge - 2 years????

Football is no longer a game; it's only about winning and money - not watching a game with pleasure.  Leicester City winning the premiership is the best thing to happen for football in years!

I personally think that LVG has been treated somewhat shabbily and I am sure this treatment will have taken the gloss off winning a major trophy for the club.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree how great it was that Leicester won the Premier League.I was genuinely made up for them.It does the game good for the premier league title to be shared around .It would be boring if it was just the same two or three clubs every year and no-one else got a look in. As for Palace,well i've nothing against them. If they hadn't been playing United I would probably have been rooting for them to be honest. If United had had a better season then I guess losing an FA Cup Final wouldn't have mattered. There have been many,many occasions over the years when Manchester United have been given a lot of leeway,extra time added on,awarded penalties when they shouldn't have been ,etc. Everyone is aware of it. It's not right, but unless other clubs organise some sort of mass protest ,which I don't think has ever happened then I don't know what the answer is. My first home up until the age of five was in Old Trafford, about 15 minutes away from the ground. Then we moved a few miles further down the road into Stretford [as in the Stretford End] where we stayed until I was 18. My dad used to take me for walks around near the stadium when I was little "To see if we could see Georgie Best". Of course,he wasn't going to be just walking about ,but I didn't know that and it used to be so exciting walking around with my dad on the lookout for George Best. If my dad only knew  many years later i met him in the Hard Rock Cafe in Tokyo [and gave him a goodbye snog; saucy!] he would have been made up. When we used to go past the stadium on the bus on the way home from Manchester city centre,almost every person on the bus used  to look over to where the stadium is, almost as if to check it was still there. When I moved to Salford I lived even nearer. I used to walk to the end of our street and I could see right in to the stadium. When United won the Champions League in 1999 in the dying gasps of the game I cried my eyes out in front of the TV. Then I got baby Sean ready and we went out,Sean in his buggy,just to be out in the streets soaking up the atmosphere. My mum had died just ten days earlier and if only she had lived to see them win the Treble. It would have made her so happy. [incidentally, she and her brothers grew up being City supporters, as was their father. Her brothers are still lifelong City supporters. But her second husband,my father,followed United,and she ended up switching allegiance.As did many others after the Munich Air Disaster of 1958. So ,yes,I DO understand the frustration and anger that fans of other teams feel about United sometimes, of course I do. But there's not a lot I can do about it ,nor indeed can any other United fan. But that wouldn't ever stop me supporting my former local team,and i'm quite sure that if it happened to be Crystal Palace or Blackpool or any other team who it appeared were sometimes treated differently,if it was the team they loved I don't think they would mind too much either.

• Like 1

Is this just about money though.

I agree he has been treated badly but it seems more part of some irritating modem mind set in football ( and perhaps in society too ) which has no patience with anything that doesn't produce immediate results!! Perhaps money is behind this attitude?

It was always going to be hard to follow Alex Ferguson but I think he should have been given longer than two years.

I did want Crystal Palace to win this one ...the under dog thing.....but my dad and uncle went to their matches way back in the 60's and Man U have had a lot of success overall in recent years.

I do love these big matches though .....at any moment any of the team could become a hero for a day!!

Very interesting piece in The Guardian that says the players were close to mutiny over Van Gaal's managerial style. Their goalkeeper David De Gea almost quit. It says he would crucify players in front of each other. Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick went to talk to him about it, explaining to him that it was damaging to morale but things didn't change. Says he spent £250 million on players that just were not good enough,but that they were prevented from playing fast flowing,attacking football like they were used to. United scored 49 goals this season. Their previous average was 76. Van Gaal would send his players emails detailing their faults . In the end, according to the Guardian,players just used to ignore them. But Van Gaal suspected this ,so he had a tracker fitted so he could check if the emails were opened and for how long. It says the players wanted to play attacking adventurous football played at speed,but this wasn't Van Gaal's way at all. 

Yes it is all about money these days for the owners.  They expect results and are impatient if they don't come.  There is no such thing as loyalty or giving someone enough time to bed down.

So LVG had a different style of management and expectation ... it does not mean to say that if all concerned had pulled together and given each other a chance that in another season or 2 things might not have improved.  They were not given that chance ... as you see so often in most premiere clubs these days.

Don't forget that SAF had a very rocky time in his first 4 or 5 years, but he was allowed to progress with the club and came good in the end.

At the end of the day, if LVG has still not formally been told what is happening and there has been no official announcement then he is being treated very shabbily indeed.

• Like 2

Janet,don't think I ever told you that as well as George Best in Tokyo, there was also Kevin Keegan. They were there for a charity Aids football match. Kevin arrived about twenty minutes later. A very nice man. Had a lovely long chat with him and George about football. He said it was nice to speak to a woman who was interested in football. There mustn't have been many of us around in those days !!  We told them we were dancers and then proceeded to try and teach both Kevin and George the Five Positions of The Feet. I have a photo somewhere of Kevin Keegan trying to stand in Fifth position !! I absolutely agree with you that they should have handled the situation with Van Gaal differently. There has still been no official word from United on Twitter. People keep saying Mourinho's agent is flying into Manchester tomorrow. But the situation with Van Gaal should have been dealt with first and with a bit of decorum. Also have to feel a little bit sorry for Ryan Giggs. He trained under Fergie in how to be a Manager and has bided his time, learning and watching. I think I read he was hoping to take over from Louis Van Gaal. If things don't work out for whatever reason with Jose, and of course I hope they do, but if they don't they HAVE to give the manager's job to Giggs, despite his lack of experience. Otherwise he'll walk,which would be such a shame for the man and the club as well.

• Like 1

The latest news is Jose Mourinho's agent and Manchester United's lawyers are in London discussing Mourinho's image rights. Image rights? Who is he,Marilyn Monroe? I don't understand why a manager of a football club would need to sort out his image rights with a club. Does anyone have any idea what this actually means?

• Like 1

Just found out about the image rights. Apparently he is still a Registered Trade Mark of Chelsea FC , and as such his name is still owned by Chelsea. What a bizarre thing. Although I do think I remembered seeing somewhere Christiano Ronaldo's name with a Registered Trade Mark symbol after it. Heaven forbid someone would use their name without permission and without paying them for it. As you say Jan, money money money. 

• Like 1

The only person who should have rights to any image rights is the person whose image they are!  It's surely crazy to hand over your image rights to a third party.  (Where's Terpsichore?)  Not sure whether Darcey Bussell and/or Carlos Acosta have image rights as such - but I believe their names have both been trademarked.

• Like 1

Well it's official [finally]. Interestingly United have put up on Twitter an interview he gave to United's own TV station, MUTV back in 2013. In the interview he was telling Paddy Crerand,who was interviewing him, that he has to pay his subscription to watch MUTV just like everyone else. Paddy told him only employers of MUFC get their subscription for free. Paddy said "You never know,maybe one day". Jose said,"Maybe one day". Maybe he was just pulling Paddy's leg,but why would Jose Mourinho have had a subscription to MUTV back in 2013? A closet fan ?