BBO Scholars Scheme

Tuco123

Hi all ????

Does anyone here have any experience of their children taking part in these? I'm interested to know in what form the auditions are i.e are they free work or taken as an instructed class?

Also, I know it's one session a month but is that over 10 months/12 months?

Any information would be gratefully received. It would be my DD's first time auditioning for it if she decides she wants to, so knowing what it involves or what to expect would really help ????

Edited by Tuco123
  • Like 1

Hi which BBO scheme is your dd auditioning for? The scholars scheme is one session per month on Sunday; there are no classes in July or August. In October it takes the form of a scholars weekend at Elmhurst and also in April for 'Dance Days' at Elmhurst. There are usually some places available for non scholars on these two.

Hi - my dd does Ballet North Scholars and she rates it as 'amazing ' due to the teacher Miss Hurst. (And dd is hard to please!)

The audition takes the form of a class with barre and then centre work. Nothing to worry about, just enjoy it!

There are 10 or 11 classes a year. They get worked very hard.

Hope that helps.

Edited by sarahw

It's the Ballet North that she would be auditioning for. She was worried that a string of steps would be rolled off the tongue and she'd have to dance them straight off without having chance to think.

I know the cost of the scholars scheme is £160 if she were to get through but is there extra cost (apart from travel etc) for the Oct Elmhurst weekend or is that included? Same question for the April Dance Days...is that a separate cost?

She did the April Dance Days last year but not through the scholars scheme so we just paid for her to go.

Thank you for your replies

Yes there is an extra charge for Scholars Weekend and Dance Days but its pretty reasonable for what you get and scholars get a reduction in cost. Agree that the audition is nothing to worry about its just a straightforward class. Good Luck and enjoy.

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't want her to audition, possibly get through, but only find out about these costs afterwards only to realise we couldn't fund it all. I would hate to disappoint her in that way and so want to find out what we'd be faced with financially before she auditions. The BBO website only tells you the audition cost, there's no information on costs after that.

She's definitely going to the Dance Days next year regardless of whether she gets on the scholars scheme, so a reduction in cost would be welcome if she does. Thank you

• Like 1

I know all Scholars don't go to both (or either) weekend, for various reasons, including cost.

If your teacher thinks she is suitable to audition I'm sure she would manage.

Incidentally dd found Dance Days of a higher standard than Scholars weekend.

Hi Tuco123 I was a BBO ballet scholar north as was my brother. The audition format tends to be just a regular class following a teacher (I think it is still Gillian Hurst). They've made some changes the past year so there is more scope in the north it used to just be junior ballet and senior jazz, but they've added a mids programme and a senior ballet programme. The dance days or concourse as they used to be called are really good fun particularly if your current dance school only offers ballet & tap as all manner of styles are taught, usually with guest teachers from the west end.

I've been at the new BBO headquarters today and they are really lovely. They seem much more organised than when they were at woolborough house!

Thank you ???? I know there are lots of changes within the BBO with the rebrand etc. Website is still playing catchup re information, current leotards aren't supplied with logos until the new one is available, syllabus changes aswell as new musical theatre syllabus etc.

I know the scholars scheme used to only be in London so it's fantastic that it's now more accessible here in the north too, otherwise it wouldn't be an option to audition where we live. Plus the mids is a great new addition which makes it available to all levels.

My DD'S teachers went to the new headquarters last weekend, they said it was lovely.

It's very reassuring you've all said the audition process is taken as a class, my DD will be pleased to hear that!

Edited by Tuco123

• 2 months later...