Could I have broken my toe?

Lisa O`Brien

I was walking around the house today barefoot. There were a pair of trainers in the middle of the floor. When walking past I accidentally knocked my little toe on my outside left foot against one of the trainers,with such force I kicked it away. Only my little toe touched the shoe though. This was at just after twelve noon. My toe has been hurting like hell all day,and I have found it difficult and uncomfortable to walk because of it. I've just now looked down at my toe and almost the entire toe is very badly bruised. I can hardly move it at all, and am reluctant to anyway,as it is so painful. Do you think I could have broken a bone? Or does the fact it is bruised indicate that it isn't broken? Or is that just an old wive's tale about broken bones not bruising? The XRAY dept at our hospital isn't open on a Sunday,and I don't really want to have to spend goodness knows how long at casualty on Monday if there's a high possibility it is only bruised. Thanks.

You could have done so, Lisa. Even if you go to A and E, they won't do anything. I think a cold pack and elevation are the best things to do. I'm so sorry this has happened. Arnica gel might help if you could bear to touch it. Hugs. x

• Like 1

Thanks Fiz. I was looking online and it said you can strap it yourself at home, strapping the injured toe to the one next to it. Suppose I could have a go at doing this myself,buying some surgical tape on Monday. Would be afraid of doing it wrong somehow though,and would have no idea how long to leave both toes strapped together like that. Such a nuisance.

When I was young, I clonked my little toe really hard against the (cast-iron, I think) bathtub while getting out of the bath, and it was very painful afterwards.  We eventually went either to the GP and/or to A&E, and were told there was nothing they could do about it even if it was broken, so they wouldn't X-ray it as it would be pointless.

• Like 1

My youngest dd broke a toe and the medical professionals just said to do that. You could ring stupid NHS Direct if you have access to it.

What a wonderful referral, Fiz...love it!

Lisa, I hope the toe is better soon. As soon as you are able to, start wiggling the toe a bit to get the blood circulating to it. That will help the recovery process. As my consultant said to me when I broke my shoulder three years ago: use it or lose it! Not that he was being literal, but you know what I mean! ☺

• Like 1

Thanks folks. Can't move it today and the whole toe is completely bruised. At the part where I knocked it, right at the bottom where the toe ends and joins the rest of the foot, if I compare it to the other small toe it is "out of place" by quite a bit. I think i'll go over to my pharmacy [literally a 2 minute walk ] and buy some surgical tape and while i'm there if it's quiet ask to speak to the Pharmacist. If I ask him to look at it he might be able to tell me how to strap one toe to the other. But looking at it again,the injured part is not possible to strap,as it is too far down near the actual foot.

Oh yes,definitely go to A & E. I think if you're every in a quandary over health issues, hand the problem over to the health professionals - let them decide what's best for your toe. Only way to get confirmation that it is healing as it should. Good luck!

Something very similar happened to me about 20 years ago ,but with my right little toe this time. I was walking into the kitchen ,barefooted ,in the middle of the night to get a drink of water. Didn't switch the light on. I stubbed my little toe into the wooden kitchen table.  I've never to this day felt pain like it. I was crying my eyes out and I thought I was going to faint it was that bad. But because I could wiggle my toe and because it was bruised I assumed it was OK. Hobbled around for about ten days in great discomfort. Eventually realised it wasn't getting better on its own. I went to casualty where they X Rayed it. It was broken in three places. But the pain then compared to Saturday is completely different. On Saturday there was no where near as much pain. Plus,I only knocked it against a trainer, not against a wooden table.