Daughter Has Been Invited to Audition for a Comp. Programme

BalletTutu

Lots of good advice on here from everyone :)

I'd just like to add that with hindsight, our dd would have benefited greatly from doing festivals/comps. We found a school that did them, but discovered that most of the practice classes and festivals were at the weekends and because of that, they discouraged things like associates and EYB etc. You either had to commit to festivals or not do them - it was one thing or the other.

By that time (about age 11/12 and following kind and helpful feedback after a workshop at Tring) we'd realised that the most important thing she needed was to concentrate on improving her classical technique and getting on an associate programme, so that's what she did.

Everyone is different, and finding somewhere that suits your dc's current level of training and future ambitions - and which fits in with other family commitments - is the most important thing. It would be well worth taking on board some of the advice offered on here, but obviously only you will be able to choose the best option from the dance schools available in your area (the rural nature of East Anglia means that good schools are very thin on the ground!!).

Hope you are able to find what you are looking for :)

• Like 1

Sorry but I feel compelled to offer up an alternative point of view.

I would say look for competitions that have adjudicators working in the industry now and also those the best feedback rather than a score that you can't relate to. My dd really likes American competitions because of the video critiques from several adjudicators :)

Sorry to hijack the thread but can you elaborate on these video critiques? or PM me? Thanks

Sorry to hijack the thread but can you elaborate on these video critiques? or PM me? Thanks

You get 3 ( or however many judges there were) sets of the same video of your dance and each one has a different judge talking over the top with thier critiques- like a much better version of a festival certificate report! It's really useful because you can see exactly what they are talking about because it's as if you are watching the dance with them and they tend to give positive and negative, so will say what movements they like during the dance commenting 'pretty' or 'nice' and then also saying where your turn preperation needs work or to keep your shoulders down in your leap etc

Hope that makes sense and sorry annaleisey if you wanted to answer! :)

You get 3 ( or however many judges there were) sets of the same video of your dance and each one has a different judge talking over the top with thier critiques- like a much better version of a festival certificate report! It's really useful because you can see exactly what they are talking about because it's as if you are watching the dance with them and they tend to give positive and negative, so will say what movements they like during the dance commenting 'pretty' or 'nice' and then also saying where your turn preperation needs work or to keep your shoulders down in your leap etc

Hope that makes sense and sorry annaleisey if you wanted to answer! :)

That's ok, that's why I like them too. I just pm'd dr dance

Sorry, late coming back to the thread:

So you have 2 dancing daughters, one of whom you have asked advice about before (and for whom you have a good solution in the other 'new' dance school) and this one who is younger but has stayed at the old dance school? From what i recall, they must both be in very similar classes in the current dance school - Grade 2 or thereabouts? Is there a reason for that?

The comp. team proposal is for your younger DD, and would mean a transfer for her from your original dance school to a 3rd dance school, this comp one?

Tbh, although I know lots of mums with 2 dancing DCs, i don't know anyone who has 2 at two DIFFERENT time-consuming non-vocational dance schools. The best option might be to sit down as a family with all 3 dance school possibilities in front of you, and all other possible ways of extending high quality dance training (summer schools, associate schemes, full-time vocational in time and work out the best, and most practically feasible, option for you all.

• Like 2

Nothing is guaranteed in this dance world Ballet Girl, if your little one wants to do competition work and her teacher has given permission, and you can accommodate this, then go for it. It is up to you how you co ordinate your family time table and if you and your family are happy then good. If your child is talented she will eventually find her way into the dance world, so many ways to skin a cat springs to mind. Let her enjoy her dancing, and you enjoy it too ????

• Like 1