Concerts featuring dance (scores?)

Now you mention it, John, Karole Armitage's name was mentioned on Radio 3's In Tune yesterday.  I think she may be appearing on today's programme, in which case it will be sometime between 4.30 and 6.30.

• alison changed the title to Concerts featuring dance (scores?)

I'm going to expand John's original thread into something a bit broader, so:

Wednesday March 21st, Royal Festival Hall

London Philharmonic Orchestra

Andrés Orozco-Estrada conductor
Peter Donohoe piano

Stravinsky Apollon musagète (aka "Apollo")
Weber Konzertstück for piano and orchestra
Stravinsky Capriccio for piano and orchestra (aka "Rubies" from "Jewels")
Schubert Symphony No. 3

• 4 months later...

If you can see 4 Girls 4 Harps on tour, they are featuring their new CD Dance, which includes March of the Montagues and Capulets from Romeo and Juliet and  the Grand Waltz from Cinderella by Prokofiev. They are very good live and their name tells you all you need to know about the music.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Barbican, Sunday 21st October, 7 pm:

De Falla Scenes and Dances from ‘The Three Cornered Hat’ Part I

De Falla Scenes and Dances from ‘The Three Cornered Hat’ Part II
Lalo Symphonie espagnole *
Stravinsky The Firebird – Suite (1945)

• 10 months later...

I forgot about this thread until it was too late to notify you about last Saturday's "Romeo & Juliet" Prom (although it'll be on BBC iPlayer - BBC4 - for a few more weeks yet), but excerpts from Swan Lake appear in next Monday's Prom, 5th August (and also in the Relaxed Prom the next morning).  There are, of course, a few more balletic bits and bobs throughout the season, but I think this is probably the only one of significant length.

The NYO at The Proms played a selection from Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet which was played marvellously! 

They even had Gary Avis talking to the musicians in a rehearsal and showing them a sword fight while they were playing.  It is still on iPlayer and would recommend watching it. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 00:37, alison said:

I forgot, next Wednesday's (28th) Prom includes Tchaikovsky's Mozartiana and Stravinsky's The Fairy's Kiss

Clashes with Francesca Hayward at the Ballet Association ...

I caught this concert on the repeat on Radio 3 this afternoon: it had what sounded like an interesting interval discussion on Stravinsky's ballet music - not sure who with, as I came in part-way through, and the contributors weren't credited at the end.  It's presumably available on BBC iPlayer Sounds for a while yet

• 1 year later...

This just in from the London Philharmonic Orchestra:

"On 2 June, Vladimir Jurowski conducts a full-length concert performance of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake in his final Royal Festival Hall concert as Principal Conductor. Considered the greatest Russian ballet score ever written*, Jurowski gives a typically enlightening performance of Tchaikovsky’s 1877 original version – a must for any balletomanes. 

Read this Times Article to find out more about Vladimir's swansong after 14 years with the Orchestra."

It's available free to view on Marquee TV for 7 days thereafter: https://tickets.lpo.org.uk/events/1619776950

* Highly debatable, I'd have thought.

• 9 months later...

Royal Festival Hall, 17th February:

• Budapest Festival Orchestra
  • Iván Fischer conductor
  • Patricia Kopatchinskaja violin
  • Stravinsky: Jeu de cartes (ballet in 3 deals); Violin Concerto
  • Interval
  • Stravinsky: Petrushka (1947)

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/classical-music/budapest-festival-orchestra-patricia-kopatchinskaja?eventId=789346

That page also has links to their concert the next day, which features The Rite of Spring, Concerto in D for strings and Capriccio for piano & orchestra, the latter two also having been used as scores for ballets - and a pre-performance talk on Stravinsky.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Tomorrow night's Prom includes, I think, a suite from Swan Lake and a selection from Romeo & Juliet.  It will, of course, be available afterwards on BBC Sounds if you can't catch it live on that strange old thing called a radio.

Also, one of the orchestras this autumn (I think) will be performing Thomas Ades' Inferno, aka the first "act" of The Dante Project.  I think it's at the Royal Festival Hall sometime, but will need to check details.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alison said:

Tomorrow night's Prom includes, I think, a suite from Swan Lake and a selection from Romeo & Juliet.  It will, of course, be available afterwards on BBC Sounds if you can't catch it live on that strange old thing called a radio.

Also, one of the orchestras this autumn (I think) will be performing Thomas Ades' Inferno, aka the first "act" of The Dante Project.  I think it's at the Royal Festival Hall sometime, but will need to check details.

2:30PM | WEDNESDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2023

ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL

Adès conducts Adès | The London Philharmonic Orchestra (lpo.org.uk)

On 13/08/2022 at 17:35, alison said:

In the Q&A in the programme for last night's concert the conductor said something along the lines of: "people who have heard me conduct ballet music ask me if I have danced ballet."  Listening to his Swan Lake, I wondered whether he has ever seen a ballet!  

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
On 15/02/2023 at 19:00, alison said:

Was just browsing the South Bank Centre website and realised this is on next week: Dante Project "Act 1" and Francesca da Rimini included :) 

I think the start time is 7.30 not 2.30:

WED 22 FEB, 7.30PM

Adès leads the LPO in two of his recent compositions, paired with works by Sibelius and Tchaikovsky

Close
Performers
  • London Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Thomas Adès conductor
Repertoire
  • Sibelius: Overture; Suite No.1, The Tempest
  • Thomas Adès: The Tempest Symphony (UK premiere)
  • Interval
  • Thomas Adès: Inferno Suite
  • Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini, symphonic fantasia after Dante
Edited by PeterS

5 hours ago, PeterS said:

I think the start time is 7.30 not 2.30:

WED 22 FEB, 7.30PM

Adès leads the LPO in two of his recent compositions, paired with works by Sibelius and Tchaikovsky

Close
Performers
  • London Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Thomas Adès conductor
Repertoire
  • Sibelius: Overture; Suite No.1, The Tempest
  • Thomas Adès: The Tempest Symphony (UK premiere)
  • Interval
  • Thomas Adès: Inferno Suite
  • Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini, symphonic fantasia after Dante

Thanks, Peter.  Presumably that was due to the website automatically adjusting to US times.

• 2 months later...

7 hours ago, alison said:

A couple of Stravinsky/Prokofiev Philharmonia concerts this week at the Royal Festival Hall:

Including The Firebird on Thursday 18th:

https://philharmonia.co.uk/whats-on/santtu-conducts-stravinsky-i-the-firebird/?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MKTMay23concertsreminder&utm_content=version_A

I looked at the seating plan/tickets for this one and am shocked at how badly it's sold given that it's only 2 days away. I hardly ever go to concerts now but I wonder if this is normal for the RFH?

Edited by bridiem

This may have already been mentioned higher up but in case not….

Quite by chance I discovered an smacking talent the other day (can hear people shouting I must’ve been living under a rock 😂)

Anyway…. A concert of an interesting ballet score in London in Sept….doubt I can go but would if I could! 
https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2023/event/london-symphony-orchestra-half-six-fix-pulcinella

On 16/05/2023 at 07:29, bridiem said:

I looked at the seating plan/tickets for this one and am shocked at how badly it's sold given that it's only 2 days away. I hardly ever go to concerts now but I wonder if this is normal for the RFH?

Sadly not uncommon these days, especially where the music isn't that well known :( 

I see that the programme notes say that Principal Conductor Santtu-Matias Rouvali has "a real affinity for ballet music" - and I can say that the Firebird performance was very vivid and atmospheric.  Makes me want to go to the Petrushka concert on Sunday.  It was being recorded - not sure whether for BBC Radio 3 or for a CD - so keep an eye out for it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This coming Friday's Prom, 18th August, features The Firebird and Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No. 2, which I believe is the one MacMillan used for Concerto.  Can anyone confirm?  Soloist (unless it's changed - there have been so many changes recently) is Pavel Kolesnikov.  Will be live on BBC Radio 3 and then available on BBC Sounds.

• Thanks 2