Sewing on Pointe Shoe ribbons & elastics - help!

Peanut68

Hi - foolishly offered to sew on ribbons & ankle (?) elastic for DD....she is waiting on these shoes & despite dancing many years ago, I have completely forgotten the angle/placement for ribbons & haven't a clue about the mesh elastics for the heel as never bothered with these for myself.

Hoping a lovely Balletcoer can offer me tips or direct me to a video clip for this!

Thank you!

I know English Youth Ballet had a fab video on this. Can't remember if it was on their website or YouTube. As for ribbons I always angle them where the heel of the shoe naturally folds forward, if that makes sense? My DD prefers elastic done ribbon to ribbon over her foot also. Good luck.

Thanks Orchidblue! I always thought the elastic was to keep the heel of shoe in place so was sewn at back of shoe but guess your DD has found what works for her!

Realise my DD needs to learn to do this for herself.....was Mum being over caring (& stupid :))

It is supposed to be to keep the heel on but if my DD had her way she'd have it sewn so tight over the top if her foot she'd lose circulation! Let's just say we compromise (if I'm sewing it's done my way! Even now she's 20!)????

I would not use elastic until your dd has shown the shoes to her teacher. Her teacher should be able to check ribbon placement and advise whether elastics are necessary, because you don't always need them.

Not sure if this link will work but it's a picture on Freed's FB page showing ribbon placement: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/12832455_10154003949133622_7550643085711864991_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=bb20aaa22b27bbf51aeca7c15e948ff0&oe=57DE381D

Something I always used to do was to pin the ribbons in place first, then get dd to try the shoes on and tie the ribbons carefully, making sure they were in the right place without going baggy on demi pointe or on flat.

Dental floss works really well to sew the ribbons on, I've never had ribbons come off using it. I've also found that sewing the ribbons starting back towards under the heel and then angling them forwards helps the heel stay on better without necessarily needing elastics. I could take some photos if that would help.

• Like 2

Yep, I agree with you there BlueLou. Or going into complete meltdown over it and declaring that you can no longer cope. That works too. Never been asked to sew since!

I think it was when I actually bled on her lovely new pointe shoes that she decided enough was enough, I am just too incompetent with a needle!

• Like 4

The compliments Piccolo!! Of course all the driving around and ballet administration you do is worth nothing...... I always tell my dd to be grateful I gave her such marvellous ballet genes (obviously skipped my generation! !)

• Like 4

Awww.....I'm dreading the day DD won't let me sew ribbons on anymore. I'm lot allowed to touch hair anymore (apart from festivals and only then if it's a solo) my roll is now limited to driver, masseuse and banker.

I love that she is now so self sufficient and growing in confidence but she is growing up and I'm not sure I like it ????

It's been a running joke for a while that any ballet success is down to my outstanding bun styling, the dancing is incidental ????

• Like 7

The tactic of sewing them on really badly has worked well for me Peanut! Not that I did so on purpose - honest! My dd is 14 and now insists on doing her own :)

Am liking this tactic....am also going for the "if I wait for Mum they'll never get done so better do them myself next time" approach as have STILL not started on them despite the considerable amount of very helpful advice from you lovely balletcoers - thank you!! I do promise to you all however that today is the day. :D  

• Like 3

Well....drumroll....I have completed one shoe!!!! It's not pretty but it is DONE!! Is it too early to start on the wine???? :o  Maybe I better wait until 2nd shoe completed & they are in the post otherwise DD will have grown out of them before she gets them!

• Like 4