I'm directing a short film for Capezio....need help with concept!

Efosaghae

Long story short...

I am directing a short film for Capezio in a months time but I need help with my concept.

Basically, it's a ballet dance off. 

The context is that one ballet dance is seen as the top dancer and a new competitor comes in and must 'earn her stripes'.

The film goes to 3-4 locations but I more need help with the type of moves that ballerinas could showcase in opposition with another ballerina?

The dancers will probably help you more than anyone if you can get them together beforehand else try and find a choreographer to work on it with you? The post is genuine Harwel as I remember the audition post on Facebook.

• Like 1

Good luck with your project Efosaghae.

Bailarin has given good advice about engaging with a choreographer; presumably you have a budget.

There are a number of existing ballets that have "dance-offs" - Two Pigeons and Etudes spring to mind. You could do some research along those lines perhaps (obviously not using existing, copyrighted choreography).

• Like 1

This is a difficult one. The concept of "higher, faster, stronger" doesn't necessarily work well in ballet. You might find that dancer A can jump higher than dancer B, or dancer C has higher extensions than dancer D, etc, but that doesn't inherently mean they are better dancers. In fact, they may be worse!

• Like 1

The dancers will probably help you more than anyone if you can get them together beforehand else try and find a choreographer to work on it with you? The post is genuine Harwel as I remember the audition post on Facebook.

ahhh I'm guessing youre from the UK then haha

Thank you

I am consulting with my ballerinas and choreographer but wanted other voices which is why I'm posting here.

Basically, the final shot is them competing to see who completes the most fouettes. We're using a drone so it will shot from high up. But it's what leads to this that I'm struggling with.

Because I feel like it wouldn't really make sense if they were fighting and then suddenly start doing turns ! So I thought maybe if it was a case of who could execute moves better it would make more sense. 

Kind of like this but with ballet movements obviously

JlYnMRHVrEY

I also want to contextualize moving from location to location. 

Could you have it that one dancer does a sequence of moves the other dance copies then improvises a second selection of moves which the first dancer then copies (thinking of the Darcey& Dawn French skit) and so on back and forth introducing more & more fouettes until it is just about how many rather than the actual 'routine' that was being developed?

• Like 2