Birmingham Royal Ballet insight day.

ponklemum

Hi everyone, my 2 dd's have asked me if they can do the BRB insight day next month.  I'm just wondering if anyone's dc's have done this before and what did they think of it?  Also, I'll be taking all the children with me, (one of which is special needs) and would like to know if there is parking at the studios or even close to the studios.

Thank you x

My DDs have both done several of the insight days in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them.  It is quite amazing how much repertoire they can learn in one day.  Its also nice to meet the dancers and get their insights into the roles they dance and life as a dancer. 

There is some metered street parking on the street where the entrance to the studios is. Thorp Street.  There is also a small car park directly opposite the entrance to the studios.  Spaces are quite tight.

Arcadian and Pershore Street multi storey are within a ten minute walk away. Pershore street is by far the cheapest and all the parking bays are wide. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I can't answer your question about the day itself but assuming the day is being held at the BRB HQ in Thorp Street I know of 2 car parks that may suit.

There is a small car park directly opposite the BRB HQ entrance itself.  It looks very tight and I have never used it but I know people who have.  The car park I tend to use is the Arcadian car park which is a couple of hundred yards from the BRB entrance.  There is no lift but if you have a disabled badge there are quite a few spaces on the ground floor.

There is also a car park by the Holiday Inn.  Again it is only a couple of hundred yards from the BRB entrance, albeit over a busy dual carriageway (with pelican crossing).  It has a lift and disabled spaces are close to the lift on every floor I have ever been on.  It is, however, ruinously expensive these days.

Pershore St multi-storey is very cheap (but it's pay and display) as is the outdoor car park opposite.  They do, however, tend to fill up quickly.  There is no lift in Pershore St multi-storey.

To get from either of these car parks to BRB I would tend to walk through the Arcadian car park (just around the corner from them) and (depending on mobility) either come out via the Ibis Hotel exit and turn left as you come out of the complex or up the stairs.  Either way you end up opposite the Hippodrome.  The BRB entrance is in the road on the right hand side of the theatre as you are looking at it.

I would be inclined to google the area to see which is easiest to reach for you depending on the direction you approach from as well.  I often find Pershore street easiest, depending on time of day and traffic, as for me it means I don't have to enter the one way system but that wont be true for everyone.

It's extremely accessible by public transport. And if you need to drop children & then entertain non-dancing siblings, there is lots to do in the area within a 15 minute walking radius. Also Chinatown for lunch ... (getting a bit homesick for Birmingham & those lovely studios!)

Thank you.  I've just had a look at I would be coming from Shrewsbury on to the M54 then the M6 (I think).  I'm going to look online before hand and work out what I'll do with the 2 boys.  The one loves ballet but is unfortunately too young to do the insight day and my other son is Autistic (and is very much fight or flight) so I tend to take them to soft play areas as I know he's safe then.  Plus both of them love soft play areas.

I have the 2 girls in two different classes so my younger one will be in 10- 11.30 and my older one 11.45 - 1.30 so will need something to occupy the boys for a few hours.  

A friend gave me instructions from the M6 J6 many years ago.  Come off onto the A38, taking the right hand fork.  As you come off the slip road and onto the A38 stay in that lane.  First you come to a flyover, then three short tunnels (as you come out of the second tunnel the Mailbox should be visible on your right.  The third, very short, tunnel is under the pagoda roundabout.  When you come out of that tunnel move over to the left and take the first left.

Go down that road, through one set of traffic lights, till you get to the Arcadian car park entrance on your left.  It's about 20 yards before the T-junction.  

If you go to the T-junction go in the right hand lane and turn right, the entrance to Pershore St multi-storey is immediately on the left.  The outdoor car park is on the right.

• Like 2

A friend gave me instructions from the M6 J6 many years ago.  Come off onto the A38, taking the right hand fork.  As you come off the slip road and onto the A38 stay in that lane.  First you come to a flyover, then three short tunnels (as you come out of the second tunnel the Mailbox should be visible on your right.  The third, very short, tunnel is under the pagoda roundabout.  When you come out of that tunnel move over to the left and take the first left.

Go down that road, through one set of traffic lights, till you get to the Arcadian car park entrance on your left.  It's about 20 yards before the T-junction.  

If you go to the T-junction go in the right hand lane and turn right, the entrance to Pershore St multi-storey is immediately on the left.  The outdoor car park is on the right.

Thank you ever so much, I really appreciate this.  Looks like I'll be posting off the forms tomorrow and I have 2 very excited girls now.

• Like 2

Things for the boys:  well, the back to backs are well worth a visit - I know they don't sound that brilliant but unless things have changed, the guides were brilliant and the street closets and eyeball collection were a winner with mine.  Also the sweet shop next door ...  It's a hop and skip away from BRB.

Sealife is expensive but worth a look, and there is a load going on at millenium point including think tank and a 3d imax cinema.  If symphony hall has one of their tours on, they are great.

Can also recommend Big Wok as my favourite chinese buffet - £7 for an adult at lunch time, we still go there every single time we go back to Birmingham. 

• Like 1

The Imax at Millenium Point has closed.

Walking the canal towpaths is quite nice - it's very quiet. You can also take a boat trip from the back entrance of the ICC. http://sherbornewharf.co.uk/boat-trips/daily-public-boat-trips/ If you're feeling energetic, you could hire a Brompton folding bike from one of the lockers at Bridley Place, or Snow Hill, New Street or Moor Street stations, hop on the canal towpath and ride. It's flat and you're away from the traffic. I ride my Brommie on the towpath most weekends. Don't go if it has been raining heavily the day before - once you get out of the city off the brick paving, it's gravel and it can get muddy after heavy rain. https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/

The Science Museum at Millenium Point is great - lots of hands on stuff. But on a Saturday may be quite noisy and a bit difficult if your son is super-sensitive to sensory overload - ear defenders might be needed! But there is a lot of interesting stuff to do which is quite absorbing for children.

I've taken youngish boys (10 & 12) to the Ikon Gallery to look at weird art (that's how I sold it to them) and they loved it, but I'm not sure what's on at the Ikon at the moment. The Tower Room in that gallery is often a nice quiet exhibition space with bean bags to loll on while you look at very weird contemporary video art. The Ikon is just off the Broad Street/canal entertainment area.

Also Saturday is good for strolling through the Rag Market and bargain-hunting and people watching - but again if you've a 'fight or fight' child, it may be too chaotic and noisy.

Wonder if the girls will be able to watch each other's sessions? I'm just thinking otherwise you won't get much time to do anything with the boys other than run back and forwards to BRB.

I was wondering that too.  I'll wait until I get confirmation of their places and then phone them I think.

Thank you by the way to everyones help, I'll make a plan of what activities I'll do with the boys before the day so that I have somethings in place.

Ponklemum, phone or email Jasmine Christie at BRB. They are very accommodating.

Thank you TBG, as soon as I've had confirmation I'll phone her.   Everyone here is so helpful, it's wonderful and refreshing.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go. The children's dance school and stage school commitments clashed with that date in the end. It was turned out to be the same date as the Cecchetti associates audition. I managed to sort out the audition so maybe some things are meant to be. I do however intend to take the children at a future date.