Polina Semionova withdrawing from ABT spring season

Did I mean it's odd? No, sorry
Just the opposite, it's the brave decision
I wrote about the "trend" only
As it said "where's two, look for the third"
The very fine example how to mix the happy life on & off the stage - Novikova, she's already back and just did The Park

My reason to respond was to give a time frame

• Like 1

Oh dear I have got a bit behind the times!!

I've a friend who is moving to Berlin in June and said only yesterday that at least she would be able to see the wonderful Polina Semionova at the Berlin opera and ballet theatre and that a group of us could time a visit perhaps to see her dance there.

Don't tell me ......she's been in America for the last ten years or so!!

I do find the use of the term "medical leave" a bit odd, personally.

What's wrong with saying she will be on maternity leave?  The word Medical sounds like she has a serious physical problem of some sort.  While pregnancy can be very uncomfortable, I don't think it counts as an illness, does it? 

Oh dear I have got a bit behind the times!!

I've a friend who is moving to Berlin in June and said only yesterday that at least she would be able to see the wonderful Polina Semionova at the Berlin opera and ballet theatre and that a group of us could time a visit perhaps to see her dance there.

Don't tell me ......she's been in America for the last ten years or so!!

Semionova left SBBerlin a few years ago after a fall out with Vladimir Malakhov.  She went to ABT.   Since Duato has taken over she has guested this last season so I would expect the same to continue for future seasons, but if she is on maternity leave then this may be a bit later in the season.  Funny that ABT did not highlight her absence a bit sooner than the week the new season opens?!  Did she dance at Russian Icons here this year?  

• Like 1

May I just take this opportunity to please request a little less 'objectification' of ballet dancers as things that should keep to the repertoire, but they are people, and artists that share their skill, art and passion with us, the audience.

If it is indeed a medical issue, I wish Polina all the best, if she is as assumed by the people here, with child. I wish her, her husband, and her whole family the best.

Prayers and thoughts are with her either way, and she is also a very lovely , and open person to the fans. I think she deserves some of that back.

• Like 2

Thank you Don Q!!

Well looks like she will be out for a while anyway wherever she is performing.

Best of luck to her. It must be very difficult for dancers to time their pregnancies.

• Like 1

Yes ABT has visited the UK.  I think the last time was a couple of years ago when Sadler's Wells was promoting seasons at the Coli.  I thought the tickets were over priced so didn't go.

Unless there has been some form of public confirmation perhaps we should stop speculating about Ms Semionova's absence.

• Like 2

Don't know how I missed them then very annoying especially if Polina was dancing.

Hope haven't put foot in it .....for some reason I assumed from Andy's post earlier that it had been confirmed she was pregnant!

Sorry, I wasn't speculating, I thought from Andy's post above that it was common knowledge she was pregnant.  Apologies if this is not actually the case.

However, I would say in a situation like this, the way in which the official announcement has been posted is positively asking people to speculate. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This could all have been avoided if those releasing her news had just been honest!

Glad to see Malakhov doing a gala in Berlin I would have loved to go only I have ABT's Sleeping Beauty booked in Paris same time awwww can't do it all....

Edited by Don Q Fan

Not everyone wants to announce a pregnancy straightaway, for a variety of reasons.  It's standard to wait until the first trimester is at an end, and some people will wait longer than that, for reasons of their own.

Anyway, best wishes to her.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...