Anastasia - November 2016

"I don't think it is necessary to have seen a lot of ballet in order to form an opinion on a work. It is a matter of impression and one person's view is as good as the next. There are all sorts of reasons why a work may appeal to one member of the audience but not to another.  "

No, as long as you don't set your opinion in stone, and are always prepared to adjust it as you mature.  Ballets I really disliked or which bored me utterly when I first saw them have sometimes ended up being favourites when I've re-viewed them years later.

• Like 6

"I don't think it is necessary to have seen a lot of ballet in order to form an opinion on a work. It is a matter of impression and one person's view is as good as the next. There are all sorts of reasons why a work may appeal to one member of the audience but not to another.  "

No, as long as you don't set your opinion in stone, and are always prepared to adjust it as you mature.  Ballets I really disliked or which bored me utterly when I first saw them have sometimes ended up being favourites when I've re-viewed them years later.

Does that apply to Raven Girl, Alison??!!

Very wise words Alison and The Winter's Tale is an example from my own experience.  I did give Nixon's Swan Lake a second chance leaving a 14 year gap between shows but is still not one of my favourite ballets.   My taste now is not quite the same as it was when I was 22 but it hasn't changed much since I was 55.

If I did not have to work I would see even more ballet but as I do I have to make hard choices. I have just been blogging about how much I would love to see the Birmingham Royal Ballet's southern tour but that would mean taking at least one and probably two days off work to travel to Poole or Truro or missing the northern tour. If I can't get to see Monotones II and Five Tangos which I love I am certainly not going to make similar sacrifices to see Anastasia which I don't like as much notwithstanding its great choreography and beautiful music.

Edited by terpsichore

Terpsichore, I'm sorry but the fact that you are not a fan of David Nixon's Swan Lake and have repeated that fact again on a thread about the Royal Ballet's Anastasia is now getting rather boring.

Janet, and you have mentioned you loved it more times even. It isn't boring, but it was 2 lines, in larger threads and in context of a question. I think you are better than that, and to call someone boring for 2 lines is not kind.

Janet, and you have mentioned you loved it more times even. It isn't boring, but it was 2 lines, in larger threads and in context of a question. I think you are better than that, and to call someone boring for 2 lines is not kind.

Yes but I tend to wax lyrical on relevant threads.

Terpsichore, I'm sorry but the fact that you are not a fan of David Nixon's Swan Lake and have repeated that fact again on a thread about the Royal Ballet's Anastasia is now getting rather boring.

If you read my response again in context I think you will find that was actually addressing Alison's point that one should keep an open mind.   All my contributions to this thread have mentioned Anastasia though I have mentioned other works such as The Winters Tale as an instance when I have revised my opinion of  work.   I agree that mentioning a different work by a different company is distracting and in respect of that other work I have already said all that I really want to say.

For that matter, I have probably said all that I can say about Anastasia unless I see it again which might happen if (1) I happen to be in London when it is on (2) I can get a return and (3) there is nothing happening that evening that I would rather do.

• Like 1

Terpsichore, I assume BRB are performing at High Wycombe, too - is that no use to you? It's certainly a bit closer.

Sadly they're not performing at High Wycombe this year.

Edited to say what a pity this is for those of us who live within travelling distance of High Wycombe and to encourage them to include The Swan in next season's tour.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Yes, when you think it's halfway between London and Birmingham, it would also give their local fans a chance to see the programme - if it was promoted that way.

The Swan Theatre at High Wycombe is a very nice theatre which is very easy to reach from Holmfirth. It also has an excellent restaurant that serves cranachan for pudding. I saw the Southern tour there last year and the Royal New Zealand Ballet's Giselle there in November.

I think Janet mentioned that she saw the Birmingham  Royal Ballet southern programme at Cheltenham last week.  Unfortunately I had professional commitments all last week and Ballet Black were in town on Saturday and Sunday.   There will be other chances to see Monotones and Five Tangos and I am quite content with the programme in York.

This is a deviation  from Anastasia.   One thing I do remember from the ballet first time round is that it had some interesting special effects.   I discussed the ballet with Gerald Dowler on Monday and he nearly persuaded me to watch it again.  I think maybe I may watch it in the pictures if I can.  I am sure I will find something to like. As I said earlier I don't go to the ballet to moan and mope but to have a good time.