Leicester City win Premier League

taxi4ballet

A great achievement and I am thrilled for them! What a fairy tale...not only have they won the PL, but one of their players (Mahrez) has just won Professional Footballer of the Year (voted by his peers), one (Vardy) broke the record for goals scored in consecutive games and was voted player of the year by the English Football Writers' Association and one (King) is the only footballer in history to have won titles at League, Championship and Premier League levels! Speaking of king, maybe the presence of Richard III in Leicester brought them luck! Huge congratulations to them.

• Like 7

David Cameron Tweeted his congratulations to Leicester UNITED. I kid you not. But seriously, i`m delighted for Leicester. It`s good for football to see different "lesser" teams win the Premier League from time to time.

• Like 1

Almost as good a story as that of the Celtic team drawn from a radius of some 25 miles from Parkhead in Glasgow's East End that won the European Cup in Lisbon in May 1967, beating Inter Milan.  In two years, manager Jock Stein had transformed a struggling team and, if I recall correctly, he had only brought in one new player.

The cautionary bit for Leicester is that Celtic have not repeated the feat in the intervening 49 years! 

(Unlike BBB, I was unable to watch that Lisbon game on TV, what with being posted to Aden at the time and there not being any TV.  However, having just landed after a flight from Bahrain that evening, I repaired to the Jungle Bar, the outside bar of the Officers' Mess at RAF Khormaksar, where it was film night - one of the Michael Caine le Carre films, I think - knowing that the barman, Cpl Mulholland, a chap of a similar persuasion to myself, was listening to a match commentary on the BBC World Service.  At a film reel change, the news was not good, Inter had scored with a penalty and were ahead.  I sat oblivious to the second reel, thinking "So near and yet so far!"  When the film was over, I returned to the bar and an ecstatic Cpl Mulholland - "We've won, surr, we've won!!"  And so we had, the Lisbon Lions had put two goals through the posts in the second half, and Celtic had become the first British club to win the European Cup.  A long time ago.)

• Like 2

Glasgow Celtic are my "other" team,alongside Manchester United. I`m not as passionate about them as I am United but I take an active interest in how they are doing and cheer them on when they win. The only football match I was [sadly] ever at was Mark Hughes`s Testimonial at Old Trafford against Celtic. The Bhoys emphatically beat United ,but seeing how most United fans also follow Celtic nobody in the Stretford End minded too much. However I have a feeling, with Rangers soon to be back in the Scottish Premier League, their successful run might come to an end.

• Like 1

Yes, well done Leicester.  They showed what superb teamwork can do, with the help of a manager who gave them belief in themselves. 

So refreshing to have a team win the premier league that doesn't consist of superstars being brought in, and being paid ridiculously high wages.  I hope it doesn't go to the Leicester players' heads.  I expect there will be a few cheque books being waved in their faces, and it will be interesting to see what happens next year.

But in the meantime, it is wonderful to have a different team win.  And commiserations to Spurs, who came so close, and just let the occasion get to them.  They have also had a superb season, and fingers crossed they can repeat it next year. 

• Like 4

One of the Heads of Year at the school where I work is a fanatical Leicester City Fan.  I did consider asking if he was going to follow Gary Linekar's example and lead assembly in his briefs, but he is rather scary so I decided against it!

• Like 5

Am so pleased for Leicester as it's nice to see a team which isn't loaded still coming through! My friends in Leicester are more rugby than football but have said its hard to avoid the fever of this success in Leicester at the moment!!

Here in Brighton it's also quite exciting as at this moment they are in one of the automatic promotion to the Premiership positions so it's down to the match with Middlesborough now!! If they do make it don't know how long will stay up though unless they can do a Leicester!!

Hasten to add I'm a Liverpool supporter though!

Am so pleased for Leicester as it's nice to see a team which isn't loaded still coming through! My friends in Leicester are more rugby than football but have said its hard to avoid the fever of this success in Leicester at the moment!!

Here in Brighton it's also quite exciting as at this moment they are in one of the automatic promotion to the Premiership positions so it's down to the match with Middlesborough now!! If they do make it don't know how long will stay up though unless they can do a Leicester!!

Hasten to add I'm a Liverpool supporter though!

Me too, and a very happy one this evening!! I will now have to miss the cinema relay of Frankenstein in order to watch the Europa League Final!!!

• Like 2

I'm seeing that Frankenstein live at the ROH so cannot see the football live then!!

When it's a really important match I sometimes cannot watch.

When the Tottenham- Chelsea match was on I thought Chelsea wouldn't come back into,the game ( and in normal circumstances would have wanted Tottenham to win for sure) so thought Leicester's chance of the league was going down to the last match... I went in the other room and my partner kept running in ....Chelsea have just scored and then again...another goal!!

When England are playing inWorld cups etc I can't stand that either.

I remember one year when it was down to a penalty shoot out to get to the final I went out and was walking around the neighbourhood.I knew they hadn't done it as it was SO quiet everywhere!!!

• Like 2

Perhaps they should use Bournemouth as their role model?   A very small team, with a ground that only holds 11,000 people. yet they managed to finish safe in the middle of the table. 

• Like 1

I come from a bit of footballing family and one of my cousins played for Bournemouth but some years ago now!!

An uncle has coached another local Bournemouth team but not "the cherries"

My dad played for Woking throughout my childhood but it was all amateur in those days.

He did get a trial,with Chelsea in the 50's but mum wasn't too keen on having to move nearer London and I'm sure the wages weren't what they are now!!

I've supported Liverpool since 1969 when I started teaching there .....impossible to support any other team!!

I used to wind up my London kids who were mostly Arsenal ot Tottenham supporters something rotten! Great fun!