I saw POB do the Cage a few years back and loved it. It's an oddity that needs full dramatic commitment from the dancers but definitely worth one third of a triple bill imho

Anyone who saw Wendy Whelan dazzle in The Cage will not soon - if EVER - forget it.  Certainly it still blazes in my mind's eye.  Her destruction of Jock Soto in what I always call 'the willis revenge' was - in the truest sense - ravishing.  

• Like 1

There is a description of the programme to be transmitted to cinemas today on the Bolshoi's website:

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/premiere/Cage-Etudes-Seasons-premiere-03-2017/

Unfortunately, there is nothing there about the possible net streaming.

Edit: the last line added.

Just to be clear, the social media from bolshoi and on the websites speaks about the live net stream in Russian, as previously the live streams were showed only on their youtube channel in Russia.

The reasons for the geographical difference should be clear because of cinema screenings being paid for in the UK and internationally so the live screening isn't really for those outside of Russia.

I watch watch the streams on their website using a VPN to connect to the russian geography and can watch through that. This is of course not illegal in any way, and Chrome themselves offer such VPNs that people use to get US Netflix, and watch football matches in other countries, or the BBC iplayer in other countries. Morally, there could be maybe some discussion about supporting cinema showings etc.. 

Some posters here say they can anyway watch the live streams on the website in the UK, so give it a try, if not google VPN. Then buy all the programmes and better seats at the next Bolshoi visit to make up for the price of the cinema ticket. The Bolshoi theatre shouldn't miss out on the money :)

An important note is that the screening is available on the Bolshoi website for 24hours after the live screening so you can watch it over, skip through parts, or watch whenever you like.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

Am trying to work out what the running time/order and splits are for this - does anyone know?  The Pathe Live site seems to have been down all morning, and the internet is like treacle.

Edit: Correction: Pathe site is working again - after a fashion - but is a total mess, with pictures obliterating important parts of the text.  Don't they try these things out on Firefox?!  It looks like 2 h 40 and 2 intervals, but more than that I can't work out yet.  Does that make sense?  The Cage = 1/4 hour, Etudes 3/4 hour or so.  The Bolshoi website has Russian Seasons as 45 minutes, but I thought it was rather shorter than that?  If I knew the running order, I could work out whether I could get to see some of it.

Bolshoi website seems to suggest that it's Etudes - The Cage - Russian Seasons, but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

I just checked on my Swiss settings and I get the same as you describe Alison.

The way I am watching is through Hola! VPN add-on in Chrome and setting the country to Russia. As I said before, the live stream seems to be only for Russian audience.

You can search for a VPN add on for your browser, but Hola! is free and works pretty well for me.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

Also don't stress about the timing, you will be able to watch it for 24 hours after the performance.

EDIT: The online stream is the same content as in cinemas, but only available online for Russia.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

• 2 weeks later...