The Royal Opera House in 1953

Geoff

If you delve into contemporary news reports, the audience was kept waiting outside the ROH as the workers inside had not finished preparing the foyers. There will still carpenters walking around with their tools when the audience was admitted, making adjustments to the front of house decor.

And Gloriana was a live relay on the radio too.  A modicum of pressure!

• Like 2

I think it really disrespectful for you to call those human being 'sheep', people who had just come through an awful war, and through their efforts saved future generations like you and me.

If they resented the Royal Family and the other upper crust present, they wouldn't be there watching. No one has put a gun to their heads and forced them to stand there. My mother spent the war in Coventry and London and was no stranger to bombs and rationing/austerity. She said that the Royal Family were much loved, and that they always presented a united front with the people during the blitz, so everybody wanted to see them when they could. She said that everybody loved seeing them in their finery for the very reason that there was drudge and austerity....it was a bit of glittering escapism, and people enjoyed seeing beautiful things and people instead of bleak destruction all around.

• Like 4

Somebody once queried Queen Elizabeth for wearing smart clothes when she visited the East End after it had been bombed. She said she did it because she was visiting their homes and she knew they would wear their best clothes if they visited her. The Royal family were a source of great encouragement to those who could not leave London during the war.

• Like 3

If you delve into contemporary news reports, the audience was kept waiting outside the ROH as the workers inside had not finished preparing the foyers. There will still carpenters walking around with their tools when the audience was admitted, making adjustments to the front of house decor.

I guess not a lot changes in 45 years: that was pretty much the situation at the reopening of Sadler's Wells, too.

• Like 1