Bigger Ballet Tights!

TabbyCool

Does anyone know of any decent ballet tights that come in bigger sizes? I usually wear Revolution convertible tights from Dance Direct, their size XL fit me, but their sizing can be so inconsistent at times that they don't always fit, it also looks like they might be discontinuing them judging by what they have available at the moment.

I usually wear a UK size 14/16 in skirts, my regular work tights are M&S size XL.

I've tried Bloch, Plume and Capezio, but none of them are big enough, the Capezio ones I also found to be really scratchy fabric, just not nice at all! Ideally I'd like something that's available in pink, white and black, though I'll take what I can get really! Any ideas?

The first Bloch ones I tried were footed as I got them before I started doing pointe, they were way too small unfortunately. The Revolution ones are the only ones I've found that fit, I currently have footless, convertible and stirrup ones from them, but the availability is unreliable, they can be out of stock for months at a time, then when you do manage to get a pair the sizing is way off. I sent a load of pairs back to them recently due to sizing problems, some were tiny on the waist, others were way too short, one pair even had the foot hole the wrong way round on one foot, their quality control is really lacking.

Have you tried Danskin? Their convertibles are dual sizing, e.g. A/B and C/D, but their footed tights seem to come in single sizes. There's a size chart here assuming you know how much you weigh in pounds: http://www.justballet.co.uk/shop/tights/danskin-adult-compression-microfibre-ballet-tights/

The size chart is inset in the main photo but enlarges if you click on it. :-) Danskins are lovely and soft and certainly very stretchy lengthways.

I 'm 5ft 8ins and a size 16 (well 15 really in between 14-16 but always err towards the 16 in most cases) and I find the Bloch FOOTLESS tights in size D are great for me.

The only snag is that they haven't had size D in the shop in London since last November!!

I've tried Capezio and unless it's the ultra fine one find them too scratchy as well!!

Their footed XXL in the ultra fine also fit okay and I can't stand it if they don't pull all the way up so these are the two makes of choice now depending on whether I want footed or footless

I don't know the Danskin ones.

The problem comes if you are both tall and a bit broad or muscular frame as well .....so have found tights and even more so leotards difficult to fit comfortably from most brands though the Capezio XXL leotard just about does it!!

Have you tried Danskin? Their convertibles are dual sizing, e.g. A/B and C/D, but their footed tights seem to come in single sizes. There's a size chart here assuming you know how much you weigh in pounds: http://www.justballet.co.uk/shop/tights/danskin-adult-compression-microfibre-ballet-tights/

The size chart is inset in the main photo but enlarges if you click on it. :-) Danskins are lovely and soft and certainly very stretchy lengthways.

Hmm... A size D might just fit, I really wish they'd do the size charts in waist sizes rather than just height and weight though, not everyone carries their weight in the same places, most tights feel like they're trying to cut me in half!
  • Like 2

I 'm 5ft 8ins and a size 16 (well 15 really in between 14-16 but always err towards the 16 in most cases) and I find the Bloch FOOTLESS tights in size D are great for me.

The only snag is that they haven't had size D in the shop in London since last November!!

I've tried Capezio and unless it's the ultra fine one find them too scratchy as well!!

Their footed XXL in the ultra fine also fit okay and I can't stand it if they don't pull all the way up so these are the two makes of choice now depending on whether I want footed or footless

I don't know the Danskin ones.

The problem comes if you are both tall and a bit broad or muscular frame as well .....so have found tights and even more so leotards difficult to fit comfortably from most brands though the Capezio XXL leotard just about does it!!

Yes, I'm 5'7" and probably more a 16 than a 14 too, I have really big hips though and my waist is very squishy, so most tights just dig in really hard, it hurts so much and is horribly unflattering! The Capezio tights I have are a XXL, not sure what style though, they're convertible ones, they're tiny and really scratchy, I really should just give them away!

I can generally wear size L leotards from Bloch and Mirella as long as I stick to tank and cap sleeved styles, though I did find a So Danca one in a size 7, which I think is a XXL, that fits really nicely. Capezio leotards are usually too short and way too low cut, the last one I tried was obscene! I recently bought the Barcelona leotard from Intermezzo in a size L and that's a lovely fit too, plus you get to have Barcelona on your back! ????

Edited by TabbyCool

Well I'm a bit weird my hips are largish but often come within more normal range in size charts etc.

It's my waist that's the problem as it's not in proportion with bust and hip size!! It's ALWAYS larger than on any chart.

So am somehow more straight up and down than I used to be

I think I must have lapsed into a Sunday thicko mood as I couldn't follow the link above because I am not sure which size chart ......there were so many....refers to the actual Danskin tights!!

I would be very glad to find another make which fits well.

The Capezio ultra soft (not fine as said previously) also fit in the XXL size in convertible tights as well.

The latter are the only ones I have in pink and wear only for show days etc. but they are great too.

I think I must have lapsed into a Sunday thicko mood as I couldn't follow the link above because I am not sure which size chart ......there were so many....refers to the actual Danskin tights!!

The image of the tights has the size chart in the top corner, just tap on it to enlarge it x

• Like 2

Thanks I didn't equate the squiggle thing with a size chart!!

Yes D should fit me too however it says they are "compression" tights so hope they don't feel like the Capezio more support ones

Mind you the Bloch ones I think have some extra support in I think ....though luckily not scratchy....they always feel great on but they do have a life of their own sometimes when trying to put them on.....I do have the occasional wrestle with them!

Evening all :)

The Bloch Endura convertible tights go up to a size E. They're not on our website yet but we have them in stock in the Wisbech store. If you want to give me a ring tomorrow I can discuss the size charts with you and see if we can find something suitable! We also have Gaynor Minden, Russian Pointe, Silky, Sansha, Danskin and Capezio tights, in store, so I'm sure we can find something suitable for you! :)

Sheila x

01945 581534

• Like 4

Crikey, that's really odd about Danskins - my daughter is tall with long legs and in the convertible pink tights, A/B fits her perfectly. ????

I hoped Just Ballet would see this thread - I'm sure she will have something suitable!

Evening all :)

The Bloch Endura convertible tights go up to a size E. They're not on our website yet but we have them in stock in the Wisbech store. If you want to give me a ring tomorrow I can discuss the size charts with you and see if we can find something suitable! We also have Gaynor Minden, Russian Pointe, Silky, Sansha, Danskin and Capezio tights, in store, so I'm sure we can find something suitable for you! :)

Sheila x

01945 581534

Hi Sheila, the Bloch ones I have are the Endura tights in a size E, they're too small unfortunately. Same goes for Capezio size XXL, and pretty much anything made by Sansha, it's so frustrating!

Bloch tights seem to be slightly bigger made & more stretchy than Capezio ones (& softer) Try cutting the waistband off Capezios maybe too? Agree Danskin are weirdly short, I got fishnets with bizarrely short legs! They used to be the best tights

The Capezio ones I have are too short to pull all the way up, so cutting the waistband off would just result in tights hanging out the legs of my leotard!

The Bloch ones aren't much better, I used to wear the Bloch body tights since they just have straps and no waistband, but they got holes in them so easily and seem to have been discontinued!

I've never felt quite as fat as I do when trying to find ballet tights! :(

Edited by TabbyCool

I'm a dress size somewhere between a large 12 and a 14, and I wear Plume footless tights,XL, which are plenty big enough width wise. OTOH, I'm only 5'6" if you're taller, then is it the length that's an issue, rather than breadth? They're not really long enough, but I don't mind the mid-calf finish.  If I need something on my feet, I wear cotton socks. Could you just get some of those flesh coloured ballet socks when you need a covering for your feet? 

I'm a dress size somewhere between a large 12 and a 14, and I wear Plume footless tights,XL, which are plenty big enough width wise. OTOH, I'm only 5'6" if you're taller, then is it the length that's an issue, rather than breadth? They're not really long enough, but I don't mind the mid-calf finish.  If I need something on my feet, I wear cotton socks. Could you just get some of those flesh coloured ballet socks when you need a covering for your feet?

I've got some Plume ones, the waistband rolls and digs into my belly! A large size 12 is a fair bit smaller than me, my waist is around 34-35" and is very squishy, the widest part of my hips around my bum is more than a foot bigger than my waist too, I'm a pear! With most tights it's the waist that's the problem.

Tabby, I think I must just be unfussed by my tights digging in - I was thinking about this thread in my lunchtime class today - I've had a forced hiatus & so a carrying more weight around my middle than I like - and yes, the Plume black footless tights I put on over my leotard cut into my middle, but I used this to remind me to pull in my abs.

Have you thought about a unitard? That would give you a long smooth line, all-in-one, and no problems about separate leotard & tights? 

Not sure how helpful as I'm more of a 10/12 in street clothes but I am 5'7 and have quite long legs and enormous thighs because I cycle everywhere! I always buy XL tights (and people in shops look at me like I'm mad and ask if I don't need a smaller size, and I assure that really is what I need!). I have found Move Dancewear's to come up quite big, and they're nice and long, unlike some other brands. They do go grey very quickly compared to others but are also cheaper. They definitely have a looser waistband than stupid tiny Capezios and I think than Blochs b ut for me it's mostly a thigh issue! So, maybe worth a try for you, or maybe not!

Tabbycool, have you ever tried body tights like these ones? I find that normal ballet tights dig in at the waist no matter how large I go, but body tights fit a lot better and give a much smoother line.

I used to wear the Bloch ones like that, but they no longer sell them, they never lasted long, they got holes in them so easily and the loops where the straps fit on were often frayed straight out of the packet! I have a Capezio one, but it's too tight on the thighs

I draw the line at unitards though, it just wouldn't look good! I find that my legs look stumpy if I'm not wearing tights that match my shoes, pink tights with pink shoes just visually extends the leg line!

I think the Silky convertible tights from Just Ballet might do the job, so I'll be trying those ones next!

Edited by TabbyCool
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure how helpful as I'm more of a 10/12 in street clothes but I am 5'7 and have quite long legs and enormous thighs because I cycle everywhere! I always buy XL tights (and people in shops look at me like I'm mad and ask if I don't need a smaller size, and I assure that really is what I need!). I have found Move Dancewear's to come up quite big, and they're nice and long, unlike some other brands. They do go grey very quickly compared to others but are also cheaper. They definitely have a looser waistband than stupid tiny Capezios and I think than Blochs b ut for me it's mostly a thigh issue! So, maybe worth a try for you, or maybe not!

Thanks for the tip, I took a chance and bought some of the Move tights, they actually fit! Their size chart says they're for a 6-12, but I can confirm that the L/XL is large enough for a 5'7" pear-shaped size 14-16, yay! The footless ones are one size, a bit harder to get into, but once they're on they're pretty comfy, though they are a bit tight around the ankles so I'm going to cut the stitching around the cuffs to let my ankles breathe a bit! The convertible ones are great though!

• Like 3