Press Release: Northern Ballet prepares for World Première of Jane Eyre

Northern Ballet prepares for World Première of Jane Eyre

Join one of literature’s most iconic heroines on a journey of courage, romance and tragedy with the World Première of Northern Ballet’s Jane Eyre. Based on the novel by Charlotte Brontë and performed during the 200th anniversary of her birth, Northern Ballet will bring this beautiful love story to life at the Cast theatre in Doncaster from 19 – 21 May 2016before commencing a national tour to Richmond, Aylesbury, Wolverhampton, Stoke and Leicester until June 2016.  

Orphaned at a young age and cruelly treated by her Aunt, Jane Eyre is a plain but intelligent child who grows up knowing little kindness. Sent away to a charitable school, Jane later accepts a position as a Governess at Thornfield, a gentleman’s manor whose master is the dark and impassioned Mr Rochester. In spite of their social differences, an unlikely bond grows between the pair but as their romance develops, it becomes clear that Mr Rochester has a hidden past that threatens to ruin them both. The ultimate dramatic tale of romance, jealousy and dark secrets, Jane Eyre is the story of one woman’s indomitable spirit overcoming all boundaries.

Jane Eyre is choreographed by internationally acclaimed British dance maker Cathy Marston who previously created the Dickens classic A Tale of Two Cities for Northern Ballet in 2008. For this new production, Cathy has brought onboard composer Philip Feeney to compile and arrange a score for Jane Eyre made up of original compositions and existing work. In addition, Patrick Kinmonth, who has worked closely with photographer Mario Testino and has designed over 20 theatrical productions, will design the sets and costumes. Completing the creative team, Alastair West, whose Northern Ballet credits include GiselleI Got RhythmA Christmas Carol and The Architect, will design the lighting.

Cathy Marston said: ‘Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre was a novel far ahead of its time and when I think of Jane I feel inspired by images of her passionate but 'impossible' relationship with Mr Rochester, the fire and emotional destruction symbolised by Bertha Mason - the infamous 'woman in the attic', the contrasting icy moorland through which she seems to run from one chapter of her life to another, and of course her final reunion with Rochester. But these images only touch the surface of a character and a book that continue to provoke and move - generation after generation, re-read after re-read.

Northern Ballet’s Artistic Director David Nixon OBE said: Having already adapted Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights it seems appropriate that Northern Ballet should also immortalise her sister’s Jane Eyre through dance and doing so in the bicentennial anniversary of Charlotte Brontë’s birth makes it all the more special.’ 

Join Northern Ballet for this beautifully timeless tale told through the Company’s unique blend of classical ballet and drama. Tickets are on sale now, for more details and booking information visit northernballet.com/jane-eyre.

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson.

Nominated for Outstanding Company at the 2015 National Dance Awards and voted Best Company at the 2014 TaglioniEuropean Ballet Awards, Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s five large ballet companies. Based in Leeds it performs throughout the UK as well as overseas. Northern Ballet’s productions mix classical dance and theatre, embracing popular culture and taking inspiration from literature, opera, or giving a unique interpretation of popular classical ballets.

Northern Ballet is the busiest touring ballet company in the UK and is typically on the road for around 32 weeks of the year. The Company of 45 dancers tours a combination of full-length new work and established repertoire to cities throughout the UK. Northern Ballet also tours widely with its ballets for children, all four of which have been adapted for TV by CBeebies, and also performs a mixed programme showcasing the versatility of its dancers.

Production Credits

Choreography & Direction Cathy Marston

Music Philip Feeney

Set & Costume Design Patrick Kinmonth 

Lighting Design Alastair West

Jane Eyre – Tour Dates

Doncaster, Cast (World Première)    

19 – 21 May 2016                        

Box Office 01302 303 959

castindoncaster.com

Richmond Theatre

31 May – 1 Jun 2016                        

Box Office 0844 871 7651*

atgtickets.com/richmond

Aylesbury, Waterside Theatre

3 – 4 Jun 2016                        

Box Office 0844 871 7607*

atgtickets.com/aylesbury

Wolverhampton, Grand Theatre

10 – 11 Jun 2016                        

Box Office 01902 429 212

grandtheatre.co.uk

Stoke, Regent Theatre

14 – 15 Jun 2016

Box Office 0844 871 7649*

atgtickets.com/regent-theatre     

Leicester, Curve Theatre

17 – 18 Jun 2016

Box Office 0116 242 3595

curveonline.co.uk              

See northernballet.com/whatson for updates. Subject to change.

*Calls to 0844 numbers are charged at up to 7p per minute plus your phone Company’s access charge.

Northern Ballet have released some rehearsal photographs:

http://northernballet.com/jane-eyre/rehearsal-photos

Today (21st April) It is also the 200th anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth:

http://northernballet.com/blogs/northern-ballet/21-04-18/happy-birthday-charlotte-bronte

Report in the Yorkshire Evening Post, including a couple of photographs of Hannah Bateman and Javier Torres in the National Portrait Gallery:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/love-story-on-tour-to-mark-200-years-since-bronte-s-birth-1-7865326

I see they are going to Richmond Theatre only two days but can make June 1st. Haven't been there for a few years now but it's a lovely old theatre .....not sure how it would be for dancers though!

I regularly used to go to the Panto there between the ages of 10 and 14!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know: I just hadn't realised it *was* a midscale tour.  Will it eventually appear at full-scale theatres, do you think?

I hope so!

Don't forget 1984 opens at SW on Tuesday. I'll bring my newly acquired badge at the weekend!