BalletcoForum Badges

Perhaps we need a thread something like "who's going to Swan lake(etc etc etc) this week"

Then people could arrange where to meet on any particular day.

I think Duck has started something similar except I don't know how to put it at the bottom like she did!!

• Like 2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps we need a thread something like "who's going to Swan lake(etc etc etc) this week"

Then people could arrange where to meet on any particular day.

I think Duck has started something similar except I don't know how to put it at the bottom like she did!!

I used the space for the signature (my settings -> signature). Now that I've added a second performance there, I've noted that the signature has been amended also for previous posts ;)  

I like the idea of a separate thread as the information that I am sharing about upcoming performances is only visible in my signature ... so if I am not posting anything, the information won't be visible to anyone.

Ideally, the thread would be able to handle posts about a variety of upcoming performances in a way that a specific performance can be identified easily (something like a database that can be searched/ sorted by date/ location etc., not sure whether the forum has such an option?).

-----

edited for typo & last sentence

Edited by Duck

Ideally, the thread would be able to handle posts about a variety of upcoming performances in a way that a specific performance can be identified easily (something like a database that can be searched/ sorted by date/ location etc., not sure whether the forum has such an option?).

I believe the software has a Calendar option - if it hasn't been disabled - but it takes one heck of a lot of work to keep it viable.

A theatre forum I go on has a thread titled "This week I am going to ..." on which people post which plays and musicals they will be seeing this week. Couldn't we start a similar thread?

I like keeping it to a specific week as this will limit the number of posts of "I am going to ..." within the same thread, and thus facilitate searches for the same date.

I'll be at The Flames of Paris tonight (5th). I'll be there early as usual, in the Amphi bar area eating sandwiches and drinking tea pre-show if anyone wants to say hi. Only one interval which'll mostly be taken up with eating a mango sorbet (ROH summer special).

Ooh, they're doing the mango sorbet?  Hurrah!  A flavour I actually like (given the wide range of flavours of Criterion I'm happy to eat at Sadler's Wells, I rarely ever eat them at the ROH because of the lack of interesting flavours)

• Like 1

Met a lovely young dancer and her mum whilst waiting at the stage door last night. We didn't have badges, but found out the other was Balletcoforum. Lovely to see we have such enthusiastic and articulate young members! Nice to meet you swanprincess!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked all my ENB emails and had one only yesterday but confirming the details for the 1st Sept! And giving all the timings for the evening

Do you want to check Quintus that you have the correct date?

In fact either someone has a sense of humour or I'm completely out of the link on something

This is how tomorrow ENB event listed

7pm drinks in the lower studio

7.30pm rehearsal with Akram Khan and our dancers

8pm Q and A session hosted by Lindsey Winship dance critic of the Evening Standard

8. 45 pm carriages.

Carriages??? ....Are we to be picked up by horse drawn carriages and whisked off to some special destination ......or just Victoria Station even?

Is there another interpretation of this word?

I'm looking forward to the whole evening but especially the carriages at the end!!

8. 45 pm carriages.

Carriages??? ....Are we to be picked up by horse drawn carriages and whisked off to some special destination ......or just Victoria Station even?

Is there another interpretation of this word?

I'm looking forward to the whole evening but especially the carriages at the end!!

Hi LinMM, 

I am sorry to tell you that 'carriages' is another way of saying 'this is when you leave'. So it is the end of the evening, and you will have to find your own way home...carriage or otherwise ;)

It is of course from olden times when you would probably ask your carriage to be waiting to pick you up. This term is often used at formal meetings or events, I have seen it a formal guild dinner, and also on a wedding invitation.

I am sure the British contingent will have more background on the etymology.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

There are two events.  Mine is all Friday afternoon - it's the 'Great Friends' rehearsal.   The one on Thursday is probably for a different membership  - perhaps 'Bare Acquaintances' or  'Ships That pass in The Night'.  Or perhaps the far more exclusive 'Practically Part of The Family' class.  ;)

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 2

Not as romantic though is it?

Sorry, my invite was folded - it actually reads 'Swooning ladies will be tenderly borne in the arms of their chosen Principal to their [Private Jets at 6pm]'. And there's a cream tea! ????

• Like 4

There was a Great Friends Open Rehearsal that week and the Masterclass - I think there was a little confusion on the matter! Did you enjoy the masterclass LinMM? Awful issues with sound but I thought really enjoyable after all.

well I thoroughly enjoyed the GFOR, though I winced when the poor Wilis had to do stamping double-footed hops en pointe - looked really painful!  While the event didn't have the benefit of explanations from AK, on the upside pretty much the whole company seemed to be there, and all the Giselles and Myrthes were rehearsing their parts simultaneously, which gave a unique change to 'read across' all the principals and some others ..

• Like 2

I didn't go to the master class Tatiana.

There were two rehearsals ....one on the Thursday and one on the Friday

I went to the Thursday one which just had three dancers and Akram Khan.

We were shown a couple of scenes from the new ballet and then an interview with Akram followed by question and answer session.

I think the Friday rehearsal had more dancers more of a full Company rehearsal.

I very much enjoyed this event but have written about it on another thread here ....connected to ENB's new Giselle. It may be called Akram Khan's new Giselle.