BalletcoForum Badges

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like round and red is the top choice .  Fine by me.

To finalise matters we could  have a proper poll as there is a poll function on the forum?

If there is a poll function, unless we're going for a straight yes/no on a round red badge, it would be really good if whoever sets it up kept poll options about shape & / or colour to those which can be easily & inexpensively purchased online. I don't know what would be considered a reasonable period for the poll to be open.  

I'm just really keen to order my badge & start spotting members before the RB finish for the summer!  :D

For what it's worth, though red is definitely not a colour I would normally choose for a badge myself, I thought it was a good suggestion in terms of the outcome we ultimately want to achieve - spotting other BalletcoForum members. 

As thinking purely in terms of what colour is most likely to stand out across the crowded spaces of the ROH (or other venue) against the background colour of most clothing (which is often black, white, blues, greys) & help spot a BalletcoForum member, then it's probably a small red dot!  

But I'm more than happy to go with a majority decision.  :)

• Like 1

Seems to me that enamelled badges look smarter. They don't necessarily need to say anything and anyway, unless the badge is quite big, any text would be illegible from more than a short distance away. Could be plain. Maybe something as simple as this? Difficult to judge how nice that might look without buying one.

Like this one. Unfortunately I am a very infrequent ballet watcher due to all my money going to train my DS and my non dancing acting son. But as they get further on and need less financial support I hope to watch much more ballet and I think this is a lovely idea.

I am happy to go with red dot if that's the majority, but could i just put in another vote for a star, as being more visible, and when i did my visual awareness course at work recently, we were told that the best colour for those with visual impairment to see is yellow, a it stands out best against black.

I think there is a conflict between being discreet and being seen, and the latter is what we're after!

http://www.badgesplus.co.uk/yellow_small-star-star-badge_315.htm

Also, would a red dot be seen amongst all the red wine stains on the clothes of the BalletcoForum members! :D

• Like 3

I am happy to go with red dot if that's the majority, but could i just put in another vote for a star, as being more visible, and when i did my visual awareness course at work recently, we were told that the best colour for those with visual impairment to see is yellow, a it stands out best against black.

I think there is a conflict between being discreet and being seen, and the latter is what we're after!

http://www.badgesplus.co.uk/yellow_small-star-star-badge_315.htm

Also, would a red dot be seen amongst all the red wine stains on the clothes of the BalletcoForum members! :D

I would suggest a yellow star might be taken by some as inappropriate.

• Like 9

Perhaps if we chose a colour such as red, members could wear that colour in either a round or a star shaped enamel badge. So there's a bit of flexibility/choice?

(Although a five pointed red star is associated with Communism, it's a common symbol which I don't think would automatically be interpreted as a political statement. Happy to be corrected.)

Edited to add that I'm thinking of a well known beer brand! :D

Edited by Indigo

As people are keen to get going with this I have taken the liberty of setting up the poll - Cavycapers I hope this is OK with you as I am very conscious you started this (excellent) topic and I have no wish to upset you.

Poll http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/12373-ballet-co-forum-bade-poll-closes-sat-30-april/

I have put a finish date on it because people are keen to get going!!  

• Like 4

I'd love to have a badge like this, it would give me a possibility to wear it both to Copenhagen and Hamburg ballet performances as well as at ROH when I visit it! I'll willingly spread information about the forum - unfortunately here in Denmark I haven't found anything similar!

• Like 1

taken the liberty of setting up the poll

Any chance you (or a moderator) could slightly alter the title so people can see what it's about? I have been following this discussion with interest but only clicked on the poll by accident, as currently it is headed "Bade poll" (maybe a typo or possibly a reference to the excellent Patrick Bade, don't know)

Edited by Ian Macmillan
Done
  • Like 1

I must admit that the reference to pastels going well with smart clothes threw me for a moment. Then I remembered that some people actually get to watch ballet lol. Terrific idea though. Do we also get a code phrase to whisper to other forum parents like 'the daffodils are blooming in Moscow'??

Great to have the poll going - thanks, Don Q Fan.  Decisions, decisions. Do I vote for red for reasons outlined above. Or for my favourite colour which is blue (no surprise there given my choice of forum name!) 

Next weekend, once the poll closes & the decision's in, I'll be poised online to get a badge ordered so it'll hopefully arrive in time for me to try out on my next visit to the ROH in early May  :D

• Like 3

Just a thought about Red circle - might it be confused with comic relief - Red Nose Day ?

Or with a sniper dot, leading to BalletcoForum members being heroically flattened to the floor by would be rescuers....

• Like 11

I must admit that the reference to pastels going well with smart clothes threw me for a moment. Then I remembered that some people actually get to watch ballet lol. Terrific idea though. Do we also get a code phrase to whisper to other forum parents like 'the daffodils are blooming in Moscow'??

How about:

"Hey!  Do you want to buy some filthy pointe shoes?"

• Like 1

Actually, i have visions of coming out at the interval in the ROH, and everyone in the bar wearing a dot, or whatever, and realising that it's been Balletco members making up all the audiences at ballets all along! :D

Possibly not that unlikely a scenario! :)