National Opera Bucharest: Vlad Alexandrescu, minister of culture announces plans

This well worth reading for anyone interested in understanding the sequence of events in Bucharest and the political background. The DNA referred to is the country's National Anti-corruption Directorate.

http://www.bucharestlife.net/2016/04/27/romanian-ballets-opera-buffa-is-no-laughing-matter/

only a couple of notes:

according to some Romanian dancers I spoke to, their wages are not really lower than foreigner colleagues ones: foreigners have different type of contract and are paid only for 10 months, they have not an health insurance nor support for lodging, as Romanian have. I don't know the figures related to the wages, but comparison should start considering these differences and it seems that many of the protesters didn't take this in account (one shouted "there is no better dancer than another"..). a Romanian dancer trying to point this out at the meeting with the vice-prime minister was made shut up (there is a video somewhere, if you want to search for it).

Vlad Alexandrescu didn't commit only one mistake (Romanian President statement is clear): here why some people think that the Prime Minister was right in asking for his resignation (in Romanian) http://www.digi24.ro/Stiri/Digi24/Actualitate/Opinii/COMENTARIU+Dan+Turturica+De+ce+trebuia+demis+ministrul+Vlad+Alex

to balance, here Tiberiu Soare interview of few days ago, with English subtitles...it's long but it's really well worth to listen until the end...

above how Soare talks, below how he writes:

http://slippedisc.com/2016/05/bucharest-crisis-soare-speaks-out/

Which is the real one? Usually face to face meetings are recommended for a better undestanding of personality, intentions and reactions...

Annamicro, Thank you for posting Mr Soare's interview. It is most illuminating.as it gives the events that have been reported a context which they would have otherwise lacked. Anyone who is interested in what is happening in Romania really should take the time to  watch the interview.

It seems to confirm that while communist Romania may have been the victim of covert kleptocrats in post communist Romania they operate far more openly. The current Romanian government is either in process  of investigating and removing the kleptocrats or settling old scores. Unfortunately it would appear that the man who appointed Kobborg to his nonexistent "post" is, himself, under investigation. Mr Soares seems to be a sort of  self appointed "Mr Deeds" who has made any number of "discoveries", real or imagined, during his short tenure as AD at Bucharest's opera house.

Those who have wondered why Kobborg did not just walk when these extraordinary events began to unfold in Bucharest will probably not find a satisfactory answer to that question in the video but they will have a fuller understanding of the context of the events.

Edited by FLOSS

"Mr Soares seems to be a sort of self appointed "Mr Deeds" who has made any number of "discoveries", real or imagined, during his short tenure as AD at Bucharest's opera house."

Mr. Soare must be an incredibly brilliant mind since he was able to collect so many solid facts in just one day: that's the time he need to cancel "the impostor" Johan Kobborg.

He has also a passion for contracts and has complained publicly about many of them, being so far always easily refuted by the attacked people.

He doesn't name Rossini among his favorite composers, but, looking also at his answers on slipped disc, Il Barbiere di Siviglia seems to be his favorite opera, having he made one of its arias as his current lifestyle.

Meanwhile, back in Bucharest, whilst we've been obsessing about Frankenstein, something stirs:

https://adevaruldelaopera.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/press-release-of-ballet-department-bucharest-national-opera-house/

We might prefer that it had not done so, but it's another side to the story ......

Alternatively, there's this:

https://despreopera.wordpress.com/english-versions/paul-curran-there-is-an-enormous-need-for-a-restructure-at-bno/

I'm rapidly losing the will to live ...

Me too. In fact, for me it may already be too late with this saga.

With mention of Frankenstein, the whole thing rather puts me in mind of Carry On Screaming's Oddbod and an unfortunate accident, after which only one of his fingers remained. Whereas he might have been better to think himself lucky and leave well alone, Oddbod's maker decided to plug the finger into the mains supply, such as it was in those days, and regenerate an entire massive body from just that one tiny,hairy digit. Amazing. 

Truth hurts. Sometimes is much better to admire an artist for his performance and not extend his artistry to his personality. I would say going public to this extend, JK has done too much harm to be welcomed to ONB. Trying to go even further using political intervention is absolutely outrageous. There are 52 ballet dancers from his department saying he is not wanted, what else to be said?

Truth hurts. Sometimes is much better to admire an artist for his performance and not extend his artistry to his personality. I would say going public to this extend, JK has done too much harm to be welcomed to ONB. Trying to go even further using political intervention is absolutely outrageous. There are 52 ballet dancers from his department saying he is not wanted, what else to be said?

You know perfectly what else has to be said and ehas been said and you know perfectly who signed that fake press release (not present on ONB web site but published in the nationalistic xenophobic media already used by Soare and Iordachescu and in protesters own blog - linked here) and who didn't.

The level of the protests listed speaks clearly of the authors.

Btw, it seems that Act 1 Birbanto solo doesn't exists.

Here three Romanian ballet dancers interviewed today, they are among the 30 who signed in favour of Kobborg (30 other signed aganist- the rest of the oppositors is people waiting for a never coming retirement: the full list is on the xenophobic site, you know where to search)

http://m.adevarul.ro/cultura/arte/balerinii-onb-bianca-stoicheciu-diana-tudor-razvan-cacoveanu-adevarul-live-8_573065935ab6550cb8b1834c/index.html

I see that your level of information remains surprising low. Or maybe not surprising.

Edited by annamicro

Among the other things said: prime minister Dacian Ciolos writes and recommends to those who made such a bad performance at ONB to look at Bucharest handball team winning the Europa League. According to him they are the example to follow L. And the trainer is a Dane.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1015457298491555&substory_index=0&id=107543802616247

Yes, truth hurts and also blatant mediocrity and lack of reasons, poor Mola & C.

annamicro, I see you go on attacking me. No, I don't know perfectly as I am not as closed to some of the the sources as you do. But there is a link here on this forum with a press release signed by 51 ballet dancers (sorry not 52). 

As regards the official website - with no General Manager until May 20th - as per the new Minister declaration - I wonder who takes responsability for any official initiative.

I’m sorry to take issue with so distinguished a member of the Forum Moya but really - you can’t defend the indefensible. One has only to listen to the words of Vlad Alexandrescu and Tiberiu Soare themselves and their associates (and heavens knows we’ve heard enough of them), to read between the lines and get a pretty clear understanding of the situation.

No-one is suggesting that JK or indeed AC are perfect. Leaders in the Arts world are seldom easy-to-live with. But they offered the ONB a unique opportunity. That opportunity has been blown.

JK and AC are international players, respected world-wide. Their status is assured and wherever they go they will be welcomed. As for the 52 dancers you quote, they are having to live and work within what clearly is now a poisoned environment. There is political involvement, disastrous in any arts organization, reputations are at risk, and it must be very difficult for them. But if they really think they and their Company are better off without the JK/AC input, few outslde would agree with them.

• Like 1

If people are going to keep on sniping at each other this thread will be closed down as the previous one was.

I know none of the participants personally and I have read the items published in English and the iffy translations of items published in Romanian and I have no idea whatsoever is going on!  Nor, do I suggest, does anyone except for those people immediately involved.

• Like 6