BRB and RB involvement with Shakespeare anniversary celebrations

Not heard anything. Why do you think that?

I read something on the forum somewhere that sounded like it was her last show somewhere. Can't find it now. Oh well.

I thought both RB and BRB performances on the Shakespeare show were great. I agree Naghdi's port de bras was gorgeous.

• Like 3

'...I like Ore! He is cool, .....And I think it's perfectly fine to have a ballet novice presenting as you get the feeling he is learning along with the rest of the audience  .. more experienced ballet fans may not find his interviews very enlightening but I presume the program is aimed at a broader audience....'

Absolutely agree with you, Sunrise!

Alison, do you remember what you subscribed to or what box you ticked to get that email? I get some emails from ROH but not that one and I can't see how I can get them.

I'm afraid I can't, Timmie - it was a very long time ago.

I like Ore! He is cool, with or without sports credentials. And I think it's perfectly fine to have a ballet novice presenting as you get the feeling he is learning along with the rest of the audience and it feels very genuine. I get that more experienced ballet fans may not find his interviews very enlightening but I presume the program is aimed at a broader audience.

Being the host for live broadcasting looks a tough gig to me & I like Ore too. When he fluffs a name or word I've often had the impression it's because his brain is planning several steps ahead, rather than carelessness.  

It's quite a skill set you need for these live ballet relays - calm under pressure, ability to improvise, keep yourself & interviewees to a time schedule, watch for instructions from floor managers or via your earpiece, look at the right camera at the right cue. Within an interview, respond appropriately to answers & link those to the next question, plus wrap up an interview in the timeframe. All this whilst being relaxed, welcoming & making it look effortless. I know much will be scripted or planned out before, but people do the unexpected & the host has to keep the show on the road. 

I was in the Clore Studio when the RB did the live broadcast online of the Frankenstein Insight event with Liam Scarlett (terrific evening) & it was also really interesting to watch what was involved from the studio filming side. I thought Kristen McNally did a good job but you could see how many distractions there were as technicians moved around the studio with cameras or set up the next segment whilst she was talking into another camera. She got countdowns via hand signals on how much time was left - which relied on her unobtrusively noticing them, including while interviewing.

During the Q&A after the live relay had finished, an audience member asked Kristen if she'd done much presenter work & I recall Liam Scarlett commenting to the effect that she had the important ability to make people feel relaxed. I'd say Ore does too. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the lunchtime 'Opera, Ballet and the Bard' live-stream. Set me up nicely for more viewings of The Winters Tale  :) 

• Like 3