New and have some questions.

ponklemum

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if my questions have already been answered previously, I have looked though past questions and not found the answers.

My dd is 8 years old and is studying grade 2 RAD ballet twice a week.  She absolutely loves it and has asked me to do more ballet. I have been looking on here and online to try and find out more about associate classes and have decided that most are too far for me travel, I live on the south west coast of Wales so everywhere is quite far really.  I would be therefore looking (for the time being) at associates as far as Bristol Gloucster etc.  I have found an RAD associates in Gloucster that runs for 4 months but does anyone know of any that run throughout the year in those areas?  I have also read about the Cecchetti one that is in Newport.  Does anyone have any knowledge specifically of the Newport Cecchetti associates?

Thank you  :)

Welcome to the forum.

RAD associate classes would probably be a good starting point for your DD. You may well find that they are year round (or 9 months at least) as they tend to release them in batches of 4 months ie you pay for and commit to 4 at a time and then fill in a form and pay for the next batch of 4.  At least that is how they operate in other locations.

I have no personal experience of the associates in Newport but I know of it and it has a good reputation. At 8 your DD is a little young for many associate programs (no idea about cecchetti) but look out for events at Ballet Cymru in Newport as she gets older. I believe summer school is from aged 10 and they also have an associate scheme. My DDs have been to several summer schools with Ballet Cymru and I definitely recommend them once she is old enough.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

RAD associate classes would probably be a good starting point for your DD. You may well find that they are year round (or 9 months at least) as they tend to release them in batches of 4 months ie you pay for and commit to 4 at a time and then fill in a form and pay for the next batch of 4. At least that is how they operate in other locations.

I have no personal experience of the associates in Newport but I know of it and it has a good reputation. At 8 your DD is a little young for many associate programs (no idea about cecchetti) but look out for events at Ballet Cymru in Newport as she gets older. I believe summer school is from aged 10 and they also have an associate scheme. My DDs have been to several summer schools with Ballet Cymru and I definitely recommend them once she is old enough.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the RAD one is only for 4 months as in the spring it's in Devon for 4 months and that is too far away for us. I will definitely book dd in to the Gloucester one though.

I know some older children that go to Ballet Cynru and they thoroughly enjoy it. It looks like dd has a lot to look forward to in the next few years.

• Like 2

I think you are well placed for a few years down the line.  Do keep an eye on the RAD Associates.  They started the scheme in Birmingham a few years back and have been adding new centres as it gets more established and grows in popularity.  As you say, Gloucester and Devon are some distance apart and you may find that if they have sufficient interest , more associate classes might take place in both centres.  I hope she enjoys her first sessions in Gloucester anyway and will keep fingers crossed for you that they add more.

What about Royal Ballet Junior Associates in Bath.....not sure if weekly or fortnightly option which might make travel easier - good luck!

That would be great for us, thank you. I know I've missed the application dates for this year but at least I know where I'm looking now ????

Your daughter might be too young for now but perhaps something to keep in mind for the future as the Easter and Summer school seem to be for aged 11 and over.

They seem to have an Intermediate class for over 7's on a Saturday and I think their levels are different to RAD etc.

You could always email them and ask about their school classes.

http://www.bristolrussianballetschool.com/

Your daughter might be too young for now but perhaps something to keep in mind for the future as the Easter and Summer school seem to be for aged 11 and over.

They seem to have an Intermediate class for over 7's on a Saturday and I think their levels are different to RAD etc.

You could always email them and ask about their school classes.

http://www.bristolrussianballetschool.com/

Thank you. As it happens I've booked her into an RAD summer course in Dartington this July. She can't do residential this year as she us to be 9 so I'll be staying down there for the week and will take her every day.

Cecchetti associates in Newport is an option, depending on what your dd is looking to get out of it. The audition, I think, is more of a formality, so class sizes are quite large. Although the teaching is probably good (members of Ballet Cymru go in to teach the ballet), I don't think there's much opportunity for individual corrections. Your local teacher would probably prefer that your dd is secure in her technique first. Great if your dd likes musical theatre as there's lots of singing, music from the musicals. The children had to dance holding an A4 sheet of paper with the words on though, which I don't suppose was great for dance technique.

How about Ballet Cymru's Abergavenny Intensive? It's a lovely little course for an 8yr old. It's held in a beautiful teeny tiny little old theatre above the market.

I think there's a more serious associate class on the north east edge of the Brecon Beacons, run by an ex ballet dancer (sorry, don't know the name of the school, but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to work it out with google), who aims to prepare children for the vocational route. I see you're prepared to travel!

Cecchetti associates in Newport is an option, depending on what your dd is looking to get out of it. The audition, I think, is more of a formality, so class sizes are quite large. Although the teaching is probably good (members of Ballet Cymru go in to teach the ballet), I don't think there's much opportunity for individual corrections. Your local teacher would probably prefer that your dd is secure in her technique first. Great if your dd likes musical theatre as there's lots of singing, music from the musicals. The children had to dance holding an A4 sheet of paper with the words on though, which I don't suppose was great for dance technique.

How about Ballet Cymru's Abergavenny Intensive? It's a lovely little course for an 8yr old. It's held in a beautiful teeny tiny little old theatre above the market.

I think there's a more serious associate class on the north east edge of the Brecon Beacons, run by an ex ballet dancer (sorry, don't know the name of the school, but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to work it out with google), who aims to prepare children for the vocational route. I see you're prepared to travel!

Thank you for all the information. I think an option for us would be to do the 4 RAD associate classes in Gloucester then in the spring book 4 in Birmingham.

I can't find the ballet school in Brecon but I'm going to keep looking ????

• Like 1

Thank you. As it happens I've booked her into an RAD summer course in Dartington this July. She can't do residential this year as she us to be 9 so I'll be staying down there for the week and will take her every day.

Dartington is very close to where I live and as well as the lovely estate itself, there are loads of fab places to visit nearby. You will have a great time too!