Kaufmann's soprano goes awol mid-Tosca in Vienna

Coated

brilliant clip of Kaufmann's reaction when his soprano doesn't show up on stage during Tosca

'non abbiamo il soprano'

http://video.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-cultura/tosca-colpo-di-scena-a-vienna-il-soprano-non-c-e/236149/235875?ref=HRESS-4&refresh_ce

Edited to add:

Apparently Gheorghiu decided to wait out his applause and encore in her dressing room

http://slippedisc.com/2016/04/angela-gheorghius-late-show-the-truth-at-last/

Edited by Coated
  • Like 2

So he repeated E lucevan le stelle? Is that common practice on the operatic stage? What about in ballet? The only time I can think of is at the first performance of Ashton's gala piece Meditation from Thaïs when to Sibley and Dowell's horror Ashton asked the audience if they'd like to see it again.

• Like 1

So he repeated E lucevan le stelle? Is that common practice on the operatic stage? What about in ballet? The only time I can think of is at the first performance of Ashton's gala piece Meditation from Thaïs when to Sibley and Dowell's horror Ashton asked the audience if they'd like to see it again.

in my very small Opera experience, I saw Nabucco chorus "Va pensiero" repeated. In Ballet, Osipova did twice her fouettes series when guesting at the Mariinsky  in DQ.

From comments by opera fans it seems that the "bis" (or encore) is not so uncommon: and if we have a word for it, that should mean it does exist

It is very rare in opera to pause the piece for an encore; it's supposed to be continuous drama after all.  Tenor Javier Camarena has had it happen twice recently at the Met - once in La Cenerentola and once in Don Pasquale - and in doing so, became only the third singer in the history of the Met ever to give an encore during an opera, and the first ever to do so on two separate occasions.

The previous two had been Luciano Pavarotti and Juan Diego Florez.  There's obviously something about high tenors giving amazing displays of technical virtuosity that wakes up the Met audience...

It was so unusual that it even made the news in the Daily Mail.

• Like 3

I should have said in my earlier post: I think it has a lot more historic precedent in Italy, though not recently.  And I have no idea whether it happens regularly in Vienna - I would have thought not.

In twenty years of primarily UK-based operagoing, I've never known it happen.

(Operetta has different traditions, and encores are often pre-planned into the performance for comic purposes.  For example, in HMS Pinafore there is a well-established tradition of spinning "Never mind the why and wherefore" out to several iterations as a visual joke gets developed further and further.)

• Like 1

The drama had been killed stone dead by the clapping and the encore. Tosca's late entrance did not matter much at all.

Maybe, she was making a point......a valid one...

She made so many "points" in her career she should wear polka dots clothing only.

I have just watched the video again. What a true pro Kaufmann is. No diva behaviour from him!! Wonderful how he can go in and out of character in a matter of seconds.

This reminds me of a story my mother told me once. She and my father had seen Callas and Di Stefano (I think it was him; one of the great Italian tenors, anyway) at The Met, and my mother said that at the end of a duet Di Stefano dared to hold the final note for a couple of seconds longer than Callas did, so his was the last voice the audience heard. She was so incensed that she refused to come out again, and finally did after lots of begging and cajoling backstage. I don't know, these divas....

• Like 1

I should have said in my earlier post: I think it has a lot more historic precedent in Italy, though not recently.  And I have no idea whether it happens regularly in Vienna - I would have thought not.

It's not common in Vienna, but once they decide they really love something they'll demand an encore. Seems they have a soft spot for 'E Lucevan le Stelle' and both Pavarotti and Domingo have done encores of it for a ferociously enthusiastic Viennese audience

• Like 2

The drama had been killed stone dead by the clapping and the encore. Tosca's late entrance did not matter much at all.

Maybe, she was making a point......a valid one...

I doubt that's it. Angela Gheorghiu has many qualities and I'm always happy when she deigns to show up for a performance, but knowing to make her performance part of a dramatic whole isn't one of them, I can't think of anyone I've seen do more to milk applause after an aria.