Hammond final

Lema

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Request for financial information to calculate mds contribution has been asked for at various times over the years. Once it was after school ended but last year it was quite early. I'm organised, so it will probably be a late request this year!!! ????

We have been offered a 50% bursary, just need to decide if we can realistically afford the rest of the fees with the help from grandparents! and whether it's actually worth accepting and giving up dd's excellent local school and 2 associate programmes she attends?? I hate making life changing decisions! 

• Like 2

It's a very difficult decision & one that we question every single year. Balancing the fact that for our dd she couldn't get the dance hours locally but she did have a place at an academically selective school. Balanced against the fact that is the financial side worth it & does she actually have what it takes.

What I will say is that although it is difficult if you try something & it doesn't work out you can always change route.

We're going through a similar dilemma with ds at the moment (for music)

• Like 1

i think its a hard decision to make that lots of us will be making. i know even though 50% is good we still cant afford it, weve had tears as she really doesnt want to go to the local high school and had her heart set on the hammond, i said to her everything happens for a reason even though you dont always know why that reason is and if shes meant to go to the hammond something will come up. 

• Like 1

I know how that feels.

Ds goes to an excellent senior school but they arn't experienced with his Sen & it's too high pressured academically. He sees his sister thriving at Hammond & wants to go too for music. But it's different for music.

I hope your dd sees what an achievement she has done & that everything works out for the best for her.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight

I have had children at vocational schools on MDSs for both music and ballet.  I found the problems - and solutions - to be remarkably similar for both.  Do use ballet experiences to inform musical ones, and vice versa.

Another thing - you will always have "what ifs" regardless of the course you chose, and you will never know until the end if your child has what it takes - and there is still an awful lot of luck involved.  This is the same for all creative arts.

One huge advantage of my daughter's musical vocational school is that she has not had to re-audition for sixth form, and her place is not dependent upon academic results, although you wouldn't know it the amount of work she is putting into her GCSEs!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

thought i would let you know, i have just recieved phone call from hammond and an award has become available for dd. I am in a bit of shock right now and will probably take a while for it to sink in

• Like 27

What fantastic new,s for your dd and you too congratulation,to you all.

What year is your dd going into

she is going into yr7

and thankyou all she is currently jumping around the house screaming

• Like 4