Hammond final

Lema

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, don't give up all hope just yet ....... we had a lovely phone call today with the offer of an MDS place for our DS (from the reserve list). He is the happiest we have ever seen him !!

We are so aware of how lucky he is to be given this opportunity and also know the feeling of being told no. We are really keeping everything crossed for all those children who've worked so hard but are still waiting to hear their 'yes' - hopefully there will be more movement from the reserves xx

• Like 30

I have to agree with Anna C's comments, too. Children who I know who were offered WL for Y7 in past years were only doing two ballet lessons a week - one of which was JAs - and no other form of dance, and had taken no exams as well.

• Like 1

Thankyou both , and yes balletmum20 ...... It has certainly been a roller coaster - 4 finals, 2 no's, 2 reserves and finally a yes !! Highs and lows and lots of wondering how we proceed in the event of 4 no's. Our DS had decided to just keep trying but I really feel for everyone still hoping for a place - Good Luck to everyone for further places & bursaries xx

• Like 4

Hi everyone, don't give up all hope just yet ....... we had a lovely phone call today with the offer of an MDS place for our DS (from the reserve list). He is the happiest we have ever seen him !!

How fantastic!!! So so pleased for you. X

• Like 1

Fantastic news, just hoping Lemas daughter gets one too. Good luck to all the other children too.

I'll second that - I wish all the DC the good luck we have been fortunate enough to receive - also really rooting for your DD Lema. Her determination, strength of character & hard work I'm sure will pay off eventually and if she were my daughter - I would be extremely proud !! Xx

• Like 1

I'll second that - I wish all the DC the good luck we have been fortunate enough to receive - also really rooting for your DD Lema. Her determination, strength of character & hard work I'm sure will pay off eventually and if she were my daughter - I would be extremely proud !! Xx

Thank you so much for your kind words ballet4boyz I hope your ds enjoys every second of his time at his new school!! I bet September can't come quick enough for him!! And I am extremely proud of dd, bless her xx

Hello all

I think I didn't explain myself properly

When I say gymnastics it's like a strengthening and conditioning class for dancers a lot of dance schools are offering this type of classes they are call gymnastic classes these classes focus on

Strengthening the dancer it's very much like the Russian way of training it help the dancer in long run and injury

• Like 2

what fantastic news ballet4boyz. what a rollercoaster ride.

i have not heard back yet from hammond about bursary but im thinking they will probably wait till the date from the mds awards then let us know incase anything changes. also not sure if any of you were on tax credits but i was looking into it last night and not sure if it applies to the hammond but i might ring and find out if it does you can apply for help with boarding as it can count as childcare, obviously i dont know much about it and will have to ring myself but if it does apply that might help some of us.

• Like 1

Well done to your ds ballet4boyz!

I also agree that people should not get to hung up on the amount of classes children are taking.  I think a lot of it is to do with raw talent and potential. My dd did not start proper ballet classes until she was 8 and we had offers from two of the top 4 vocational schools.  She has only ever done 2 ballet classes a week, a weekly modern class and had just started Tap.  She had NEVER done any associate schemes as we knew nothing about them at the time!

Still hoping your dd gets an offer from the reserve list Lema. She would be in my dd's year at Hammond and sounds like she would fit in there perfectly  :) 

• Like 3

Unfortunately Hammond are not registered as a childcare providor for the tax credits/childcare help.

A lot of boarding schools have stopped doing this as the hoops to jump through & paperwork is not worth it as they are inspected by ISI rather than OFSTED (as is common with private schools)

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight

Well done to your ds ballet4boyz!

I also agree that people should not get to hung up on the amount of classes children are taking.  I think a lot of it is to do with raw talent and potential. My dd did not start proper ballet classes until she was 8 and we had offers from two of the top 4 vocational schools.  She has only ever done 2 ballet classes a week, a weekly modern class and had just started Tap.  She had NEVER done any associate schemes as we knew nothing about them at the time!

Still hoping your dd gets an offer from the reserve list Lema. She would be in my dd's year at Hammond and sounds like she would fit in there perfectly  :) 

i totally agree my dd had never done a ballet class in her life and her brother taught her commercial at home she had only just started going to a street dance class one night a week and she got offered a place i think they look at talent and potential too.

When my daughter attended Prague master classes, one of the things she learned from a lot of the foreign students was as part of their training, they did gymnastics. I presume it is the stretching and limbering side of gymnastics, I don't know? My daughter did say however that she wished that she had done more gymnastics when she was younger. I didn't send her as I was always told that ballet and gymnastics don't go together.

• Like 2

Unfortunately Hammond are not registered as a childcare providor for the tax credits/childcare help.

A lot of boarding schools have stopped doing this as the hoops to jump through & paperwork is not worth it as they are inspected by ISI rather than OFSTED (as is common with private schools)

oh dear i rang tax credits they said yes as long as you get a seperate bill for boarding

• Like 1

The type of gymnastics children are taught abroad are based on strenghtening and stretching. It is done very safely and gently. Doing classes like this would be an advantage to the dancer and three days per week is certainly not too much at all. I would also say quality of teaching will always overide quantity. However as the dancer gets older say from age 11 years then they do need to be doing ballet classes several times a week to keep up with vocational students. These children are receiving ballet classes six days per week and are taught by some of the best teachers.

Thanks everyone for your messages ..........it's starting to sink in now and already had a couple of 'wobbles' at the thought of him leaving. Goodness knows how I'm going to cope nearer the time, but I'm sure it will be made easier by the fact that he's so happy to be attending such a lovely school :) xx

• Like 7