Hammond final

Lema

Thank you for that Drdance, your post helps to put in into perspective! I guess as a parent who knows very little about dancing it can be hard to know and understand how these things work, your professional opinion has helped me to understand the reason for no feedback a little better!! Very Much appreciated :)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to those who got offers for MDS awards and commiserations to those on the reserve list. Please remember that this is not a no for the school. Your DC have been offered places and are therefore considered good enough and with enough potential. It is not that they have done something wrong or necessarily need to improve something - it simply comes down to numbers and amount of funding available. Who has caught the eye of the panel most! I would recommend keeping the lines of communication open with the school to find out about their own bursaries. It may still be possible for some of those on the reserve list to take up their places.

• Like 2

So this morning I have woke up and decided I've had my moment of being sad for dd and now it's time to brush off and move forward!! I think a lot of what upset me is the fact that I know my dd doesn't do enough hours compared with her peers and she currently only does ballet too, It doesn't help knowing that currently we are not in a position to increase her hours/take on more classes so I fear that going forward from this years auditions the gap between her and others her age is just going to grow even wider if she just continues at her current rate, and this gave me an overwhelming sense of dread as I know dd wants to audition again next year and I worry that I'll just be setting her up for failure!!

So on this note I have decided to have a chat with dd and make sure she fully understands the position she is in and also ask for advice from my fellow forumers as to how many hours you would expect a child to be doing ready for year 9 auditions and whether you think just concentrating on ballet is enough or is she better off splitting her time and going back to practicing other disciplines too? I think I'm just scared about making the wrong decisions for her, with my being soooooo not in the know, and ruining any future chance she may have had!!

I'd like to add that I certainly don't compare dd to other dc as I know each child develops at a different rate and has different strengths and weaknesses. Plus you never know someone's story, how long they have been dancing, how many hours they do etc but it would be nice to just have an idea of what others at this age are doing especially those who are keen on vocational training. She is currently in year 7 so next years auditions will be for year 9. Any help and advice would really be appreciated!

I would also like to thank everyone who has took the time to pm me, I really can't thank you all enough for rallying round me during my little moment of feeling all doom and gloom, the support system here truly is wonderful and very very much appreciated!!

Onward and upward.......

• Like 6

Please all be aware that Bursaries are means tested too...in fact quite possibly the questions asked on the official forms are more in depth as you have to declare information on all income & on value of assets (such as cars etc) too. Also, copies of P60's etc all have to be sent in.

Each year you have to re-fill in these forms so the bursary amount may well be 'adjusted' if there is a significant change in circumstances. This is of course all quite as it should be as we all want our DC's fairly supported & that it is as level a playing field as it possibly can be (though I do feel there should be much more transparency about MDS provision & that each school should have the same number to give out for year 7 entry each year plus then the opportunity for additional new ones for talented older DC's. Maybe fairer than 'reasigning' ones when DC's move on which seems to mean that number available may vary wildly year on year)

Good luck to all looking to secure funding & congrats to DC's for achieving the offer of a place!

With MDS I thought you have to submit evidence of all income etc and assets, P60s, even pensions etc?? Is that not the case? So the parental contribution can still be quite substantial unless you are on a very low income?

My dd is very upset too and questioning herself a lot!! But we have always had a rule in our house and it's that your allowed a day to be upset and feel sorry for yourself and work through those emotions but then you brush yourself off, pick yourself up and move forward!! I think she, like me, is wondering how to move forward from this and what area she needs to improve on. That's the only trouble with the no feedback, it leaves it wide open for these youngsters to attack themselves over every little thing it could possibly be!! I think that a little feedback or guidance would be a positive thing especially from finals when there aren't the same numbers as in prelims.

My thoughts and virtual hugs are going out to all those with a "not for now" and I wish you all the best for the future, wherever that is and whatever you are doing!!

And huge massive congratulations to those with a yes, it's a real achievement and I hope your dc are very happy and successful in their new schools :) very exciting times ahead for you all (and very nerve wrecking for you dancing moms and dads no doubt!!)

I myself am now just looking forward to having a bit of breathing room and not worrying about results for a while lol :D

Edited by pas de chat

Hello Lena

Really sorry about your dd

It's a hard hard life the children work so hard

If your dd wants to get into these schools

She will need to put in the work like never before every day not just ballet gymnastics to if I was you I would try and do three class of ballet and three class of gymnastics a week she will be competing with children in vocational school doing ballet, dance 5 hours a day very competive

And if you don't put in this intensive training you have no change I know a lot of the children that got into vocational school and believe me they worked for it every single day

It you want some information on what's out there then you can message me

take care

Life

Just my opinion but I disagree that children need to be doing intensive gymnastics in order to get a funded place at Lower Schools on courses which focus primarily on ballet. Especially not three gymnastics classes a week.

Enough good quality ballet training, being an associate, a great work ethic, but probably most importantly at lower school level, the right physique/facility AND the potential for the school in question to mould young students to their training style - that's much more important than gymnastics. And daily classes of lower quality training are not going to be of as much use as fewer hours with an amazing teacher.

Then you have to account for the relatively small number of funded places vs the number of students applying for them.

Sometimes, hard work and daily classes are not enough - there has to be an element of luck, excellent training, physique, and auditioning at the right time for your particular physical maturity, and at the right place.

No offence, but I think suggesting that daily ballet and intensive gymnastics is the key to getting a place is rather disingenuous and misleading.

• Like 13

Also, if I remember rightly Lema, was your dd auditioning for a Year 8 place? If so, please don't be too disheartened as since most (all?) funded lower schools quite rightly stopped assessing out during year 7, places in year 8 must be so few.

• Like 1

Yes Anna C it was a year 8 place, and as I have said before, we knew the odds were slim before we started out so yes I took the news a little badly at first and I am worried about her doing enough hours but overall I am very happy with how well she has done, especially as she didn't even start taking "proper" ballet classes until 2014, so I am more than happy with the quality of her training and I think securing a place two years running is quite an achievement even without being offered funding in the end. I've always been told that gymnastics isn't a good thing for ballet dancers and if you want to do anything for flexibility then a strengthening class is more beneficial, so thank you for the advice and input Life but I'm not sure I'd be happy for her to do 3 gymnastics classes a week especially when it goes directly against the advice I have always been given. Thanks :)

• Like 7

Thank you Peanut and I know I initially took the no quite badly but in my defence I was poorly and just feeling a little sorry for myself, but thanks to all my lovely fellow forumers rallying around me I am back on track and looking forward to where the future may take us!! And there are soooo many beautifully talented dancers out there and so little funding to go around there are always going to be more no's than yeses and getting these knock backs now will hopefully help prepare dd for the many many more to come if this is the path she chooses to continue along, it's building her character and resilience which can only be a good thing!!

• Like 6

My dc has secured a Y10 place with MDS this year at one of the Lower Schools. To offer hope my dc does not dance every day - would love to but can't. I'm not an expert but in our experience: gym not relevant (?even a negative due to posture issues) but limbering classes useful. Quality very important. Work hard to get as much ballet as you can but maybe think outside box. My dc did ballet classes below their level in addition to usual classes to help stamina. The child has to be extremely motivated and willing to make sacrifices. As you know the school work and travelling time issues are big ones.

• Like 6

I disagree with the amount of hours my DD didn't start ballet until 8 and only did 2.5 hours of Ballet Rad and 1 hour of Tap and 1 hour of modern and got into 2 out of the top 4 for a yr9 place. She is now in a classical upper school on a Dada. It can happen. Incidentally on the application forms they ask how many hours they do,so I would imagine that was taken into consideration when assessing the child.x

• Like 2

I disagree with the amount of hours my DD didn't start ballet until 8 and only did 2.5 hours of Ballet Rad and 1 hour of Tap and 1 hour of modern and got into 2 out of the top 4 for a yr9 place. She is now in a classical upper school on a Dada. It can happen. Incidentally on the application forms they ask how many hours they do,so I would imagine that was taken into consideration when assessing the child.x

Thanks for this post miracle it's nice to hear from people with first hand experience of late entry (as in after year 7) and how many hours they were doing, it helps to show there is hope for those that can't manage excessive hours :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone and Luckymum to me I took it badly, my response is normally oh well we know there odds are slim, better luck next time and all that (even for year 7 there are more getting a no to funding than a yes), this time I burst into tears and had a moan on here!! Lol :D

I haven't posted much but follow all your stories with avid interest. I think you've handled this amazingly Lema. As someone who's possibly teetering on the edge of the big leap into this world, I can only say if I deal with the ups and downs with half as much strength and generosity of spirit as you do I'll be happy! I hope your DD's dreams come true and that she enjoys whatever journey she takes along the way.

• Like 4

I haven't posted much but follow all your stories with avid interest. I think you've handled this amazingly Lema. As someone who's possibly teetering on the edge of the big leap into this world, I can only say if I deal with the ups and downs with half as much strength and generosity of spirit as you do I'll be happy! I hope your DD's dreams come true and that she enjoys whatever journey she takes along the way.

Oh Elfin thank you for your kind words and lovely post. If I could give you any advice at this point it would be to go for it, if it's what your dc wants and you have the time, money and energy then absolutely go for it!! And post more on here, ask your questions and share your story because it really has been an invaluable tool to me and has certainly helped me along this roller coaster ride. I think I try not to take it all too seriously as to not let it take over our lives, drive us mad or wear us down but on the flip side of that I try to take it seriously enough to actually be supporting dd and helping her in her quest to try and achieve her dreams and I definitely follow her lead. As I told her on Friday when she was getting all upset and not sure what to do next I told her to do what feels right in her heart and makes her happy and not just what she thinks she should do, as that way if she never gets anywhere with it all then at least she has still been happy and enjoyed herself whereas if she does what she thinks she "should" do then she may look back and feel like she wasted her time and effort trying to achieve something that never happens, do it for the love and then anything else is a bonus!! Hope that makes sense and good luck to you at this exciting time :)

• Like 4

Just my opinion but I disagree that children need to be doing intensive gymnastics in order to get a funded place at Lower Schools on courses which focus primarily on ballet. Especially not three gymnastics classes a week.

Enough good quality ballet training, being an associate, a great work ethic, but probably most importantly at lower school level, the right physique/facility AND the potential for the school in question to mould young students to their training style - that's much more important than gymnastics. And daily classes of lower quality training are not going to be of as much use as fewer hours with an amazing teacher.

Then you have to account for the relatively small number of funded places vs the number of students applying for them.

Sometimes, hard work and daily classes are not enough - there has to be an element of luck, excellent training, physique, and auditioning at the right time for your particular physical maturity, and at the right place.

No offence, but I think suggesting that daily ballet and intensive gymnastics is the key to getting a place is rather disingenuous and misleading.

Couldn't agree more. I'm aware that in some countries (eg. Russia and China) gymnastics is encouraged alongside ballet, this isn't the case with UK training.

I can see the benefits of gymnastic training if you are keen on street, acro, freestyle, Dance Moms-type dancing (whatever that's called!) and to a certain extent contemporary, but I don't think that ballet dancers would benefit in the same way. 

Perhaps it would be better to concentrate on quality ballet classes (with maybe contemporary & modern or jazz on top) combined with a good associate programme, & summer schools and performance opportunities such as EYB if your budget can stretch that far.  

• Like 1