Website for ballet & dance teachers

annaliesey

I'm doing a bit of work for a dance teacher's website and wondered what people would look for, pay attention to, seek out information for if they were searching online and just viewing a website for a dance teacher. 

Obviously I would expect most new potential customers to come via word of mouth or via the professional membership type route ie; find an RAD teacher etc

But I just wondered what people might like to see or not see on a dance website?

Thanks so much

:)

• Like 1

I'd like to see the following, (not in any particular order, just as the thoughts come to me)

A timetable

Bio's of all teachers

Syllabus taught

Successes of other/former pupils

Fees

Region that festivals are competed in and whether they do All England or not. 

A duty of care statement/commitment to pupils well being and safety.

Whether the principal of the school supports associate programmes etc

How often pupils are entered for exams.

Uniform

Thats all I can think of for now. :)

• Like 4

Sounds like a good list. Good photos influence people a lot in their general feeling towards a place too, if they are just coming across it online rather than through the other routes you rightly said are most often used. Obviously with permission from pupils/parents/guardians, but people quite like to see the dancers or any shows that have been done.

Think that would be more of an 'influencing factor' rather than a 'need to find' one though :)

• Like 2

Perhaps only appropriate if the dance school offers adult and/or non-syllabus classes, but I like to see a few student testimonials and descriptions of class levels. Helps to calm my fears that I'll be the only one turning up or completely out of my depth at a new school!

• Like 2

Some other ideas:

T&Cs including policies on e.g.child safety & welfare

A parent log in facility to non-public part of web site

Evidence of a 'by invitation' additional training program

Evidence that the web site is kept up to date!

What everyone else says - some great suggestions there (esp. keeping the website up to date!).

Also, as an adult dancer, I'd like to see a timetable and a timetable for adult students. Also, if "serious" adult students are welcome to attend graded lessons - or even just the invitation to ask about that. A sense of welcome to all sorts of dancers of all sorts of ages, and not the assumption that "Ladies" just want to do Jazzercise (yuk) and have fun or lose weight. For some of us, ballet is a serious hobby, just as for others it's tennis or golf - and amateur middle-aged players of tennis or golf are never regarded with raised eyebrows the way adult ballet students are.

But almost as important! I see so so so many dance school websites which are just painful to the eyes to look at - all whirly glittery junk. A clean, easy to read site, with intuitive navigation, and the ability to jump from section to section really stands out for me. Also - I know websites are always works in progress, but I do get disappointed when the top menu promises all sorts of things "Blog" "Testimonials" Videos" etc etc, and you go to those pages and there's -- nothing!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 4

Above all make sure that the site is completed before you launch it. Too many sites, which are built with a content management system, contain dummy pages, usually with the text "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit,.......". This in my opinion, looks totally unprofessional. We had a new website where I work (which was nothing to do with me) and on go live day there were many "lorem" pages and SMT were laughed at (good!).

If you are going to include a blog, which is the latest trend (or a twitter or facebook feed), make sure that you update these regularly. Again, on our website the principals blog hasn't been updated since November and our twitter for about a month.

Have a look at other dance school sites - some are excellent and some quite poor. Remember a website is your welcome mat and you need to make it welcoming. Do not make it too busy and don't have too much useless bumph on it - you may think it relevent or nice, but is it useful to others?

• Like 1

Thank you all so much :)

I am working my way through this list... getting as much info off the dance teachers as possible and will teach them how to keep it all updated regularly under nagging   supervision from me :) 

Brilliant to get some input and feedback from you all, really really useful.

• Like 1