Bolshoi Covent Garden tour 2016 casting & Tickets on sale

I suspect - and it is my own impression only - that Ms Zakharova is no longer THE main star of the Bolshoi.  Of the younger dancers I think Smirnova is the up-coming star now.  Zakharova will be 37 so approaching retirement age now.  I'd say if you want to see her get in there now. Likewise Maria Alexandrova will be 38, so I think there will be a lot of newer dancers coming through as the ones we are so used to move on.

I'm not too concerned about Osipova and Hallberg.  I think Polunin has a lot to do with Osipova's movements these days!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 3

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Far more concerned about the absence of Osipova, a lot of people had booked under the assumption she would dance FoP and Don Q.  I wonder which AD decided the London squad, the old one or the new one?

Hasn't Lilian Hochhauser mentioned somewhere that the NEW director needed time before the casting was announced and that that was the reason for the delay?

I suspect - and it is my own impression only - that Ms Zakharova is no longer THE main star of the Bolshoi.  Of the younger dancers I think Smirnova is the up-coming star now.  Zakharova will be 37 so approaching retirement age now.  I'd say if you want to see her get in there now. Likewise Maria Alexandrova will be 38, so I think there will be a lot of newer dancers coming through as the ones we are so used to move on.

Zakharova still is the main star of the Bolshoi and after her it is Krysanova, an arch-technician. There aren’t many younger female dancers that are coming.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that a dancer that divides opinion as much as Zakharova can be described as "the main star".  Not sure there has been  too much nurturing of talent in recent years, I would have thought Nelli Khobakhidze and Chinara Alizade, for example, would be performing major roles by now.  Hopefully things will improve under Vaziev.

I'm hoping Merkuriev may still come though not in a starring role. Casting is very limited and he often plays Espada in Don Q and the younger man in Flames so we still may see him. It's disappointing that his doing Basil at the Bolshoi's last visit hasn't lead on to more principal roles for him. for some reason ADs seem to class him as a 'character' support dancer rather than a leading character dancer; can't think why. I think he is brilliant.

• Like 5

Filin had a long "lame duck" period during which he could not be very productive (see Bolshoi Babylon) and Vaziev just arrived in March, so it's not surprising there are things that were not taken care of.  For example, the website company roster is out of date -- Hallberg, Obratsova, Maria Vinogradova, Maria Semenyachenko, Chinara Alizade, and others have not appeared on the Bolshoi stage this season, that I can tell, yet they are still on the roster.  (There is no official information that I know of about why these dancers have not appeared.)  Hopefully, Vaziev will soon be able to attend to these issues, but he has a lot on his plate including dealing with the internal politics (again, see Bolshoi Babylon!).  It's too bad that people had to buy tickets while under a misapprehension about the casting, but if I were able to go I think I'd be really happy to see any of those performances. I would have a hard time choosing between the old guard (before they retire) and the up and coming stars.  I envy those of you with tickets and hope you write nice long descriptions of the performances you attend!

• Like 1

Filin had a long "lame duck" period during which he could not be very productive (see Bolshoi Babylon) and Vaziev just arrived in March, so it's not surprising there are things that were not taken care of.  For example, the website company roster is out of date -- Hallberg, Obratsova, Maria Vinogradova, Maria Semenyachenko, Chinara Alizade, and others have not appeared on the Bolshoi stage this season, that I can tell, yet they are still on the roster.  (There is no official information that I know of about why these dancers have not appeared.)

With most companies information to the effect that artist such-and-such is pregnant, ill, injured, or took a leave of absence is not made “official”. Such things are not reflected on the company roster either.

• Like 1

Dance tabs have just put up a summary of casting for Bolshoi tour in London.

Here's the casting makes it a bit easier than a link.

...Shame there are so many Swan Lakes! Thanks for putting up the casting it's very helpful.

...The only negative thing for me is too many Swan Lakes, but it does give me time to rest in between, and no David Hallberg.

I agree a V good spread. Pity so many Swan Lakes as others have said...but it sells....

I actually quite like the Bolshoi Swan Lake, not as a story so much, but when viewed as a series of set pieces it’s great. I also really like the ’Russian Dance’ music and the Bolshoi seem to be one of the few (only?) companies that dance it.

I think I may have booked too many Swan Lakes though, some before casting was available and then another to get Zakharova. At least they are selling out fast so I should be able to return one or two if I get too much of a telling off from Mrs Timmie :o when the credit card bill comes in!

I have a slightly silly and embarrassing question: I've been to the ROH quite a few times but always had to wait for ages during the interval in the queue to get some food and drinks. I noticed some people have their orders ready to pick up immediately. How does one do that?

There’s now an ROH app for pre-orders as well as ordering at the bar in advance :D .

Quick question, to which I'm sure people will not all have the same answer.

If I booked for two Don Quixotes before I knew the casting, but now know I only want to go to one, would the more appealing cast to keep be Krysanova/Chudin or Shipulina/Ovcharenko? I'm pretty sure the only one of these dancers I've seen in anything at all before is Chudin...

Krysanova brought the house down when she danced Don Q with Merkuriev at a matinee 5 years ago. On the evidence of the recent live relay, hers is still a hugely energetic and technically stunning interpretation of Kitri.

Shipulina is an older ballerina who has spent much of her career overshadowed by others - but she is a lovely dancer.

Nothing much to chose between Chudin and Ovcharenko - both very good indeed. But you will not get from either of them the kind of acrobatic display put on by Ivan Vasiliev as Basilio

• Like 1

But you will not get from either of them the kind of acrobatic display put on by Ivan Vasiliev as Basilio

Never thought I would say this ... and as much as I enjoy the cheeky spirit/charisma of I. Vasiliev ... London now has the brilliant Cesar Coralles to champion and even now he is only just 19.  If I was a betting man I know where my current money would go in those enhanced stakes.  It would be on the ENB star all the way.  

(That said, Vasiliev is one person whom I would love to see as Mayerling [and - shock/horror - I'm not the world's greatest fan of that ballet itself thinking as I do that it has some very concerted trouble spots - much as I feel about the first two acts of Anastasia.]  I have a feeling Vasiliev would - much as with his Spartacus [another balletic non-favourite of mine which he wrought entirely palatable] - be amazingly transformative.  i would like to see his Ivan the Terrible as well ... I really think he would make a feast of it ... as was reported.  It would, I fear, take THAT to make me attend Ivan again I fear. ... That said I did think that Mukhamedov and Godunov were both fine in it the only two times I've seen it before - both with the Bolshoi of course.  Sad to remember the latter died at only 45 ... and the former was SO brilliant this month in SHE SAID's translucent BROKEN DREAMS.  What joy.) 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

My comment was intended as straight information, not as an endorsement of an interpretation from I Vasiliev which, in several roles actually, is not to my taste.

[Of course Cesar Corrales is already a major star. But he's got nothing to do with the Bolshoi - yet.]

• Like 1

The balcony high chairs (row C, thank you for the correction Ruth) have recently been made available for almost all performances.

Whenever they are discussed on these boards they don't seem all that popular (I'm usually very happy with them, but I am somewhat tall), and they are here distinctly worse value than for RB performances, but maybe someone will be interested in tickets under £50 (just about).

Edited by A frog

A frog, I think you mean Row C.  (The reason they, and the loose seats in front of them in Row B, are always late to go on sale is that the places are initially designated as wheelchair spaces, and it's only when they've given a decent window of opportunity for wheelchair users to book tickets that they know which spaces they can put the seats back into.)

I am not a great fan of the Row C tall loose seats, on sale here for £48, but the £63 ones in row B immediately in front (the ones coloured pale olive green on the plan) are EXCELLENT seats, like comfortable dining chairs and with an unobstructed view even when the people in front lean forward.  I highly recommend them (not that I can often afford them for performances, but I often end up in them for dress rehearsals).

Not to be confused with the Row C £63 seats, nor the slightly more central Row B ones coloured yellow on the plan, which are £77, which have *significantly inferior sightlines*.

These Row B £63 seats have also just been put on sale.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

Row C indeed.

I hadn't looked into the row just in front as it's usually more than twice as expensive and I can't really justify it, but thank you for pointing out that here they'll be the much better value.

Indeed, the price differential is that much less for these performances.

You'd think from looking at the seating plan that the ones (in Row B ) towards the "bad" end of the curve might be inferior, but they aren't.  I sat in the furthest one over to the right for the Tannhauser dress rehearsal a couple of weeks ago, and you lose nothing but the very smallest bit of the front corner of the stage. Whereas the further round you get in Row C, the less you can see.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

*****CASTIING*****

Some more Bolshoi cast changes, forgive me if I use surnames only, looks like Shipulina is out of the season,

Don Q      Thursday 28 July Shrainer, Ovcharenko

Swan Lake     Monday 1st August  Smirnova, Lantratov

Flames of Paris  Saturday 5th August matinee  Kretova, Lobukhin

Le Corsaire    Friday 12th August  Nikulina, Lobukhin,  Saturday matinee  Stepanova, Rodkin

Edited by alison
  • Like 1

Some more Bolshoi cast changes, forgive me if I use surnames only, looks like Shipulina is out of the season,

Don Q      Thursday 28 July Shrainer, Ovcharenko

Swan Lake     Monday 1st August  Smirnova, Lantratov

Flames of Paris  Saturday 5th August matinee  Kretova, Lobukhin

Le Corsaire    Friday 12th August  Nikulina, Lobukhin,  Saturday matinee  Stepanova, Rodkin

According to the Bolshoi website, Shipulina has been replaced by Stepanova in Hans Van Manen's Frank Bridge Variations on May 19 and 20, so it does appear that she is out and will be for a while.

Stepanova's appearance as Medora on Aug 12 will be her debut in that role.

Edited by Lexy

Thank you for posting the changes - interesting. I've never heard of Shrainer so I looked her up. She's been in the corps de ballet since 2011 & doesn't appear to have danced any principal roles yet

Recently she danced the principal part in «Flames of Paris».

• 3 weeks later...

Some more Bolshoi cast changes...

This is what I am hoping for - for one particular change.

Still cannot reconcile myself with Osipova’s withdrawal from the Bolshoi’s tour. Why, why and why? Who could want it?

She is in Japan in June, then we will see her at Sadler’s Wells on 29 and 30 June. It would be so exciting to see her in The Flames of Paris in August. Although she is a stupendous Kitri I was longing to see her especially in The Flames.

This production gives me all that I like to see in ballets: a bravura pdd, a splendid lyrical duet, intricate variiations, excellent character dances, great roles with opportunity for dancers to show their acting skills… May be only swans and sylphs are missing there. :) And the fast developing plot makes good sense to me with its drama and humane message.

Still thinking that someone there will think again and make the change I dream about - to see Osipova with the Bolshoi in London.

• Like 2