Difference between training/discipline and abuse?

DancingtoDance

Yes JOD and on another thread we spoke about parents not only being frightened, but in the case of grant Davies, parents now being investigated and prosecuted for sending nude pics of daughters to him!

It breaks my heart, all these children who just want to dance and please their teachers and yet end up in some pretty rotten, abusive environments and it's portrayed as good teaching in preparation for the dance world.

As someone else said on a different thread (Harwel I think) these dancers are just going to end up crushed emotionally and physically damaged :(

Agreed, my concern is that so many dance schools, particularly the ones that get involved with comps are viewing the dance moms stuff as positive and trying to emulate the style of dancing. At a recent comp I saw several girls leaving the stage after their dance doing that awful dance moms walk off. I have told my daughter that she will never be allowed to do that. Fortunately she also thinks its a ridiculous way to exit or enter the stage Lol.

• Like 2

Ha ha. Its the way the kids on the American Dance Moms walk on to stage before their dance and then exit the stage after. Its difficult to describe but I always think it looks like they have some problems with their hips lol. I have a feeling its meant to be sexy which is very scary as its done by children. I have noticed kids doing it at dance festivals and its really distasteful.

• Like 2

Ha ha, that walk makes me cringe. I would jump on stage and drag my daughter off if she ever did that. Fortunately we laugh about it and do parody's of it. She has it off to a tee in a very exaggerated way (not that you could exaggerate it more Lol)   

• Like 1

Ha ha, that walk makes me cringe. I would jump on stage and drag my daughter off if she ever did that. Fortunately we laugh about it and do parody's of it. She has it off to a tee in a very exaggerated way (not that you could exaggerate it more Lol)   

Ours were actually taught how to do it and rehearsed it!!! Arghhhh!  I can laugh about it now. But the thing is when of these walkers comes on stage at a festival or comp you think "oh no, here's a dance moms wannabe" and I immediately think "competition brat" and go off that person a bit straight away! :)  (so judgemental I know... sorry)

Some of the girls in my old dance school did it and a few in the current one. I havent seen the teachers tell them to do this but equally I havent seen them tell them not to. A lot of the parents think its cute. I also think that about them Annaliesey but when I see it I also I think " irresponsible parent"

• Like 1

Is this dance???? Not to my ballet-watching eyes ... and as for that walk ...

No - this was probably acro I think, one of the categories they have in the US dance competition scene. I've been watching 'Dance Moms' on Freeview lately - it is on 5* and quite a lot of it beggars belief :wacko:

We have gone off topic somewhat but I am SO glad that other people find that walk distasteful. Every time I see it on Dance Moms it makes me cringe. Apart from being inappropriate, it just looks ridiculous!

• Like 5

Well you have got to laugh!! There are children behaving like adults especially in a sexually provocative way and today on the BBC news website there is news that in Tokyo the adults are trying to look more like children....a craze for cuteness or something!!

The whole world has gone crazy in one way or another at the moment it seems!!

• Like 1

We have gone off topic somewhat but I am SO glad that other people find that walk distasteful. Every time I see it on Dance Moms it makes me cringe. Apart from being inappropriate, it just looks ridiculous!

Perhaps we need a "Yikes - it's Dance Moms!!!!" thread? ;)

• Like 3

I have just watched this routine and i agree as a mother of a little gymnast it does indeed look like a kind of weird OTT gymnastics routine in fancy dress and full make up and lots of flexibility type moves thrown in. My dd is competes gymnastics as well as dancing and loves to tumble, but not on a hard floor oh my gosh!! She is always on a fully trampolined bouncy floor to protect her joints and as I am aware I have never seen her tumble on a hard floor or dance floor, maybe for fun sometimes on soft grass. That poor girls joints!! Hopefully she practises on a tumble track, I can she does with all the money they must make on Dance Moms...! Americans love that kind off OTT thing like cheerleading. Is this a tumbling dance style in only taught in America ? Dd watches the next step and it is similar I think? She does love these shows though I can't stand the mums So pushy with their children it's horrible, I hate seeing how they are always crying poor things.

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 2

I hate seeing how they are always crying poor things.

They're all crying aren't they? The kids, the mums and (on occasion) the teachers! It is all very angst-ridden. Hopefully most of it is 'staged' for the cameras and they are all nice to each other the rest of the time...

• Like 1

Maybe Taxiforballet hopefully the worst is staged to add some extra drama, but those children are look so genuinely upset by it all. Do parents like that actually exist they are horrendous! The girls have so much make up on too its so easy to forget how young they are too.

Edited by Snowflake